The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

Godfrey

Today was the first full day I spent with the iPad 2 out and about. It worked flawlessly. I know that's a yawn... Of course it did. ;-)

In the interests of protection and minimalism, I have the SmartCover and wanted something to protect the back. I installed a DODOcase "BookBack" skin. It's just right for my usual need ... something to keep the back from getting dinged or scratched in normal use. It's compatible with the Apple iPad 2 Dock and with the standard DODOcase for iPad 2 as well, should I want one of those for more protection. Gives a nice feel for handling the iPad as well. Only negative is that it covers up my personalized inscription, but so would any case for that matter. No worries: I know it's there.

I'm still working out just what software I want to use with this device, but it's already been quite useful.

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Godfrey

Godfrey, two Apps I would recommend to everyone are Goodreader and Dropbox.
Thanks Dianne. I have both of those.. Been using them on the iPod Touch for several years. I dl'ed the iPad versions.

Although I have to say I prefer the iBook app for reading PDFs ...! Good Reader has a very cluttered interface. It does some other things so I use it when I need to.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>two Apps I would recommend to everyone are Goodreader and Dropbox.

What are you using Goodreader for. Since iBooks now support PDFs I never loaded Goodreader again.

Diane B

Uwe, I use it to "organize" files into folders for one thing. Since its so integrated with Dropbox its so easy to move files around both on Ipad and between computers. I can annotate PDFs in Goodreader but often use Notetaker HD for that instead.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I use it to "organize" files into folders for one thing

That is of course nice. But can you read e.g. PDFs you organize also in the iBook reader?

Diane B

I'm not exactly clear on the question Uwe. I do generally read PDFs in Goodreader but I organize more than PDFs. (I know I can create folders in Ibooks and move PDFs into them but since I don't use Ibooks for reading I tend to forget about it and since I open Goodreaders often I have my list of folders and just tend to use it more.) I use it also for docs, image files, receipts (printscreen and save to GR/Dropbox), moving things from app to app; i.e., Pages has no native file organization., emailing, etc. I would say using it to read PDFs is the lesser reason I use it since I can "open in" with it to any app to read.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I was delighted to discover that the Billingham L2 "Alice" will fit both the E-5 with 11-22 and the iPad 2 today (with SmartCover and Bookback skin fitted). This remains a great small bag for a "one camera, one lens and the minimum stuff I need for bunging about" kind of setup. I didn't expect it to fit the iPad, but it does it pretty nicely. :)

Godfrey

Have other Ipad/Lightroom folks heard about the new app, Photosmith? I just read about it tonight but will wait until they iron out some bugs' but it does sound promising.
I bought it today. It works nicely for sorting, grading, while you're out and about. Still quite immature but such it is.

I'm pretty sure they'll nail the native DNG issue soon. I moved Olympus E-5 .ORF files into it and it was no problem at all, although they have some issues with interpreting Olympus EXIF metadata.

BTW, Photogene is a pretty amazing little editor for the iPad. I did an edit on one shot from RAW into JPEG which I later brought into Lightroom and did the same thing to. The two renderings were very close and took a pretty similar amount of time to do the job.

Godfrey

I hooked my little Apple wireless keyboard to the iPad today. It makes the iPad into quite a nice, very compact writing workstation using Pages. It connects up fast and reliably.

Only thing I worry about (a little bit) is how much battery the Bluetooth transceiver is consuming in the process. But it's easy to toggle it off when not needed.