The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying to do the right thing...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My father has spent the last few weeks in hospital, so I'm upgrading his virus-infested computer with Windows 7 and the latest version of Norton antivirus, all legally bought with proper lisences and all, just to avoid any problems in the future, or at least that was what I thought.

Being a Mac user, I'm used to operating systems that comes installed on the computer, but since most people in this part of the world use pirated software that can be bought for $3-10 anywhere, PCs mostly come without OS or with Linux (which is usually replaced with a pirated copy of Windows hours after the purchase).

So, I install the newly acquired software on the shiny new computer, and everything seems fine, until today. Now, there's a message on the monitor saying : "The product key you typed cannot be used to activate Windows on this computer".

I then make a few phone calls to experienced Windows users to find out what's wrong, and learn very fast that there are zillions of different versions of Windows 7 and even more license types floating around. Most shops around here don't have a clue about what they are selling, and will mostly pick the version that is cheapest, since even those who buy legal software in this country have friends who can hack their way to a workable solution.

And the moral is?

1. Buy a Mac. It works.
2. If you have to use a PC in this part of the world, buy pirated software. That works too.

And as for Microsoft; I wonder if they know how many millions or billions of dollars they lose every year in Asia by making solutions that people give up on, to buy a pirated copy instead.

stephengilbert

Another thing to consider is to use something other than Norton products. It's been years since I had a PC, but what finally sent me over the edge was problems with updating a Norton ant-virus program. It wouldn't load, the error message saying it detected a prior version, and it was impossible to remove all of the prior version, even with the help of a $100 an hour IT guy. I used some freeware program for a while, and within six months had bought a Mac.

Tim

If you used the disc and code that came in the package together when you bought Win7 and did the install they will match and should work.

Your friend is correct there are many versions and codes but in the genuine package the disc always comes with the correct appropriate code.

Did you install MS Office later on? That also has a code and needs activation.

trisberg

I would agree that buying a Mac is a better choice, but they don't have a netbook. So I ended up with an HP with Windows 7 and I must say that this is the least annoying Windows version I have tried. I removed Norton and use Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Cheaper (free) and seems less intrusive so far.

Are you sure you got the genuine product? There is a website that shows how you can tell -- http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=worldwide

-Thomas

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm not sure about anything, and I'm not going to spend much time finding out. The thing works, but probably won't update, Office installed without problems and an email to Symantech solved the Norton update.

Now, I'm going to install a Mac for my work at my father's house as well. Just running Carbon Copy Cloner to make exact copies of all my HDDs, system and all, so that I can run two identical systems. Mac rules!

jonoslack

I'm not sure about anything, and I'm not going to spend much time finding out. The thing works, but probably won't update, Office installed without problems and an email to Symantech solved the Norton update.

Now, I'm going to install a Mac for my work at my father's house as well. Just running Carbon Copy Cloner to make exact copies of all my HDDs, system and all, so that I can run two identical systems. Mac rules!
Hi Jorgen
If you are still getting the message it'll probably stop working after the grace period.
We have also had this happen with legitimate versions of Windows 7. Ring the activation phone number - in my experience They're reasonably quick and helpful, and unless they really think you're a crook (or a bastard) they'll sort it over the phone.

Norton is horrid,

I agree. . . . . Mac rules! (but at least Win7 is a step up from the dreaded Vista!

all the best

MrSlezak

In addition to which ever AV suite you use I would also suggest downloading something like Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html) and running a second scan. If the name makes you nervous, you can look SpyBot up and decide if you want to run it. It is good to have a second program to double check and this one is pretty good.

Beyond that, make sure the Windows User Access Control (UAC) settings are someplace you think will work for your father. For my parents I have the setting at 'Always notify' and have suggested if they get a pop-up from it they cancel the pop up and not allow any changes. Not that everything is scary, just the less they change the less work I have do on their systems when I visit. To get to UAC; do this:

1) Click Start
2) Start typing user acc and you should one of the entries Chance User Account Control Settings and select it
3) Select a setting that matches your comfort level and click Ok

UCA is not a magic bullet and many consider it an annoyance, but the function is to let you know when system changes are about to happen.

Also, give Windows Update a run and make sure the system has the latest updates on it. This is pretty easy to get to as well:

1) Click Start
2) Start typing update and you should see Windows Update and select it

My suggestion is to take all the Important updates and at least look at the Optional ones.

Check Adobe's site and download the latest version of Flash and Reader - both have had a reasonable number of security oriented updates recently.

Hope this is of some help...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Grace Period? They have a Grace Period? I hope I don't have to call them. My last attempt, a few years ago, was a rather frustrating experience. It was like they said "What? Did you actually pay for one of our products? Sorry, I don't think we have a solution for that, Sir." :confused:

I'm buying a Mac for myself today, so that I can get some work done. Copied work disk on Sunday with CCC. That program is really excellent. It even makes bootable backup disks.

Thank you for all your advice. I'll go through it all in the evening and install what is necessary to make this machine run smoothly.

MrSlezak

Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 all have an activation process that I believe Jono is referring to where you need to enter a code if you do a ‘clean install’. You have a grace period of 30-days on released copies of Windows, and something closer to six or eight months if you are using a pre-release (Beta, or Release Candidate) version of Windows.

To figure out which version of Windows you have installed, do this:

1) Click Start
2) Start typing System and you should one of the entries should be in the under the heading of Control Panel and select it
3) On the resulting screen you’ll see an area that calls out Windows Edition

More information on missing product keys for Windows 7 can be found here.

Best of luck!