The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DROBO question

Don Libby

I’m currently using a 4-drive bay Drobo and thinking of switching to an 8-bay. Will I be able to move the existing drives without loss of information? I’ve got 4-500gb drives now and will add 4 - 2tb drives to the 8-bay for a total of 10tb. At least that’s the plan.

My main concern is moving the existing drives from the 4-bay to the 8-bay and keeping the information.

Don

bradhusick

No, I don't think you can keep the data. It will build a new structure. Copy the data to something else if you want to reuse the drives.

Don Libby

That doesn't sound good at all. The purpose of the 8 bay was to keep it all in one place and showing up as one drive. I can't afford to lose the information so the other option is to get another 4 bay, put 4-2tb drives in that one and daisy chain the two and have two drives show up on the computer; not as good but I don't loose the information.

Thanks

Don

Don Libby

Should have done this to begin with. I just got off the phone with Drobo support. They pulled up my information and because I have a current model I'll be able to pull the drives from the 4-bay and install them to the 8-bay without loss of information. If I had the original version Drobo this would not be possible. So doable with version 2 only.

Don

Don Libby

Brad - no worries! Made me go right to the source which is what I should have done all along. At least we all have the right info now.

Don

Don Libby

Rick – sorry I hadn’t thought of selling the 4-bay, my thought was it pack it up and put it in storage for insurance. Just in case I might need it should the 8 bay die then I have a nice little back up to the back up till I’d get the 8 bay fixed or replaced. Kinda like wearing a belt and suspenders.

Don