The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

External Storage recommendations ??

Eoin

Looking for an external storage solution for my Mac Pro & MBP. Mainly raw image backup store location, Aperture managed library and other junk (movies, music) one collects.

I'm considering a Sonnet Fusion D500P 5 disk external enclosure and a PCIe Sonnet Tempo SATA E4P controller as the best option to meet my needs.

The setup I'm thinking about is a single enclosure with 4 x 1Tb WD Caviar Black SATA III drives in 2 x 2Gb Raid 0 config with the 5th drive slot to be used as a removable 2Gb Backup Storage unit.

It's quite a costly setup to purchase here in europe compared to USA prices, at least $300 more here than it can be bought for over there, for just the enclosure and controller card.

My questions are,

1, Do you have any better or lower cost solutions than the Sonnet above?.
(No Drobo please)
2, Do you know of a cheaper source within Europe, other than the UK at the moment?. UK price is £680($1025)
3, I do want an external solution, internal is not an option.

TIA

Eoin

Irenaeus

Not in Europe, but the MacGurus people here in the US are helpful, knowledgeable and reliable. They're quite willing to talk over your options on the telephone if that would be convenient for you and their website is well be worth a look.

That site is http://www.macgurus.com/

Good luck!

Irenaeus

Eoin

Hi Irenaeus, thanks for the link. They tend to push the Burly enclosures and they are more expensive than the Sonnet.

Anyhow, I've pulled the trigger on the Sonnet stuff and just waiting for it to arrive next week. It should be ok for what I need.