The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Extremely quick comparison of D3, DMR, 5D and M8 at around 35mm equivalent

Greg Seitz

I can see the Moire in the DMR. Still looks like the DMR has that edge in resolution and more contrast .
Take a look at the white and black text under Pen America on the lower right of the crop. To me the D3 is showing it's extra resolution advantage. I can make out most of the text on the D3 but on the DMR it's pretty much a blur due to the moire and slightly lower resolution. On the black text: "A JOURNAL FOR WRITERS AND READERS", I can make it out on the D3 but pretty difficult to make out on the DMR - don't see any moire in this particular text. Either way, pretty close.

Greg

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have used all 4 systems tested over the past year. My order based on pure image quality DMR,M8,D3 and 5D with R glass (tied)and finally 5D with Canon glass. This isn t a scientific blind test but based on looking at 1000s of images taking in similar situations. For example , I shot spring training with all 5 alternatives. Same light same Cardinal RED uniforms. Shot the same location beach scenes etc. The wild card in this type of testing is the in camera creation of the RAW file. The DMR files have great contrast ,saturation and tone separation with a straight lightroom/ACR conversion . The M8 is close but the difference is enough that in many cases....I can sort images and pick out the DMR files as better. The D3 and 5D files need more work to achieve their best. I am sure that someone with strong skills in raw conversions can make them very close. The wildcard for me is the potential for an R10....OK it may be another year,it may disappoint and it may not use the existing R glass. But everytime I changed to Nikon or Canon....I eventually sold them and came back to the Leica M and R systems. So really two points (raw conversion may alter your results) and (R10 may have a more dramatic performance edge).

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I just want to say thanks to Stuart for taking the time to make these tests. (And by extension, to everyone else who does this kind of testing.) I just plain don't have the Gene for that kind of methodical testing but I am a lucky beneficiary of the results.

The thing that stands out for me is just how similar the results are. Working pros will require the nuances offered by the different systems for various reasons. But my sense is that if you own any one of these current systems, you have at your disposal some of the very finest image making equipment currently available. If you happen to own them all, as Stuart does, then you must have some seriously good Karma built up!

Thanks Stuart!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I agree with Roger 110%. I can easily pick out DMR shots from M8 shots, and even easier from N/C files. I went a step further and made custom ICC camera profiles for C1 for both of the Leicas. For me, this has made a big difference. I'll get around to making a profile for the D3 with ZF glass, but haven't had too much time on my hands these days.

David

PS - I miss my DMR. :( It was stolen back in January.