Site Sponsors

Thread: Good cheap scanner for B&W and Slides

Kewk

Good cheap scanner for B&W and Slides

I'm looking for a good relatively cheap (less than $200) scanner for black and white film and my old Kodachrome slides. My old Canon FS-4000 was terrible with Kodachrome and not great for B&W (great for color negs).

I'd like to be able to scanner a strip, rather than individual shots.

Any recommendations?

PS-I can't believe to cost of a FS-4000 now on ebay. I would have held onto it if I knew it was a collectors item.

Kewk

Re: Good cheap scanner for B&W and Slides

crickets....

After a little research I think I'll go for the Plustek 7300. $190 and pretty good reviews. I'll report when I get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A bit late after I posted, I looked the OP date :sleep006:

Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    crickets....

After a little research I think I'll go for the Plustek 7300. $190 and pretty good reviews. I'll report when I get it.
    I have this one...Great value....
    If you get it, a word of advice: It must be turned on and a carrier in place BEFORE you open the software, which must be installed per instructions..Read and follow the steps, or it will not install properly...Current Software Version: 6.6.1r6

here is a scanned BW neg All post done in another software..I only adj the exposure if needed with their software.

XP2 at ISO 100, scanned at 5500dpi, M5/28mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kewk View Post
    My old Canon FS-4000 was terrible with Kodachrome and not great for B&W (great for color negs).

I'd like to be able to scanner a strip, rather than individual shots.

Any recommendations?

PS-I can't believe to cost of a FS-4000 now on ebay. I would have held onto it if I knew it was a collectors item.
    I always wished I could have replaced my Canon FS-2720 with the FS-4000, based on the review from Imaging Resource.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/FS4000/FS40A.HTM

How do you like the Plustek 7300 scanner?

Gary

Kewk

I went with an Epson V500 for a few reasons. Firstly, amazon went up to $236 from $190-something the day I was going to buy it. I couldn't stomach that, which go me looking into other scanners and found the V500 on B&H for $160.

In addition to being cheaper, I'm glad I got the Epson over the Plustek because:
    You can quickly load and scan 12 negatives in a batch.
    It does medium format (think I'll get a Yashica TLR)

I read some review saying the V500 doesn't do very good job with 35mm film, but I've been pleasantly surprise. Scanning at 3200 I can easily see the film grain, which is enough detail for me. Compared with my old Canon FS-4000, it does a great job with exposure and very little adjustment is needed in Photoshop.