Site Sponsors

Thread: Eizo CG243W or NEC 3090WQX

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Eizo CG243W or NEC 3090WQX

Hello,

I am considering these two monitors and looking for some advices to make a purchase decision.
    I am leaning toward to NEC at the moment since it offers bigger working space and it is about $250 cheaper than the Eizo.

Any comment and advice is appreciated!

Thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Eizo CG243W or NEC 3090WQX

Well, you have not received many responses, so I figure I'll add my .02. I have not owned the Eizo, so can only say I am really liking my NEC 3090 -- but if you get the NEC, you absolutely need the "spectraview" model with the software and calibration puck as it's the only way to access the internal 12-bit LUT for profiling.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add a "salt" to Jack's remark: SpectraView II software is required for proper hardware calibration of NEC monitors (though there is a third-party option, I believe, that accesses the hardware LUTs), NEC states that certain colorimeter pucks are "compatible" if not "ideal". For example, SV II supports the use of the EyeOne Display II puck (the same hardware as the NEC puck), but the NEC branded version is calibrated for the NEC displays and SV II software. Other colorimeters were/are listed as supported as well. An e-mail to NEC will confirm which are supported, but it is generally understood that the best practice is to go with the calibrated option in the NEC branded "kit".

I agree with Jack that the best practice is to budget for including SV II software and the NEC calibrated puck. This is also consistent with comments from Andrew Rodney et al.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to agree my NEC is dead on the money with the calibration with the Spectraview which i find a relief . I am not second guessing what I am seeing. Best setup I have ever had honestly. Now i am STILL waiting for my Epson 7900 which seems to be on backorder for a eternity.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running the Eizo CG243W and the only thing I regret is...... not getting one earlier. It's simply superb. What I see on screen is exactly what I get out of my Epson 3800.
    The 24" is perhaps just a little small as a single working space, I've tried other monitors as the 2nd screen and they really show how good the Eizo really is. So I've ditched the 2nd monitor in favour of the single Eizo.

I doubt there is much if any difference in real world performance between the Eizo and NEC, $250 cheaper and a bigger working space is possibly the deciding factor for you.
    Listen to your inner voice..
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They certainly are both top of the line over and above the normal monitors.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com