The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

refreshed MacBook Pro line released....

LJL

With all the hoopla around the recent iPad release, some folks may have missed another big event from today. Apple finally refreshed the MacBook Pro line-up, and the offerings are pretty decent.

The 13" models still have Core 2 Duo chips, but have newer graphics capabilities and a bit more battery power.

The 15" models get new Core i5 and i7 options for the processors, plus new graphics processors with auto-switching, a new, bigger battery with 8-9 hours run per charge, and the option for a new high resolution screen in both glossy or matte configurations. Options for up to 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM also.

The 17" model gets new i7 chips and graphics, plus bit larger battery, plus SSD and RAM options too.

These are all pretty decent upgrades, at least for the 15" & 17" models, and the prices did not go through the roof either.

Besides the direct link to the Apple site, here are some nice brief summary articles that help highlight things:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/13...-macbook-pros-with-core-i5-and-i7-processors/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/13/inside-apples-new-macbook-pro/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/13...nt-performance-gains-for-core-i7-macbook-pro/

Definitely worth the wait for these, and worth checking out if you have not done so already.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
they are making some pretty incredible performance boost claims too!

stephengilbert

"Think I will wait for Quad cores."

It's like a battle to the death: who'll blink first, Guy Mancuso, or Steve Jobs?

Maybe we need a poll.

Terry

I've been noodling on this all morning. With the iPad I will now only take a full blown laptop on a dedicated photography trip. Right now I have a 13" MBP (2009) a 15" MBP (2008). Thinking about selling both MBPs and consolidating with one 17" model. Gets me the most screen real estate for photo editing and I know that I don't need to lug it around for a casual weekend away.

Decisions, decisions.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Think I will wait for Quad cores.
If recent history is any indication that may be a while....and I doubt the Steve is blinking at much these days. He has seen the ragged edge and knows where that line is drawn.

Got a call from my daughter today...her Macbook Pro 15 died again today...second time in three years. She is in a D Phil program at Oxford University and has a major deadline in a week. Has an old Mac Book 12 inch which is a backup but that is really pushing it. She lives and sleeps with these Macbooks and they take a number of hits throughout the year. Service mentioned a minimum 500 GBP cost to repair it as Apple Care is past.

We leave next week to visit for a week....Oxford for a few days and a couple of days in Edinburgh. New Macbook Pros introduced today.

So.....I picked up a new 15 Macbook Pro and configured it today to take to her. Core i5....so wanted to buy myself the 15 i7 but decided that will have to wait a while.

The new book is nice ... great screen improved battery....will be sorry to see it go.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Steve is going to have to blink first. He knows I want quads, might have to remind him again about photographers real needs. More importantly gear slut desire's . LOL

Guy Mancuso

These benchmarks seem a little hyped if you ask me. Claiming 50 percent is a little pie in the sky. We need a guinea pig here to test it for us.

Guy Mancuso

If recent history is any indication that may be a while....and I doubt the Steve is blinking at much these days. He has seen the ragged edge and knows where that line is drawn.

Got a call from my daughter today...her Macbook Pro 15 died again today...second time in three years. She is in a D Phil program at Oxford University and has a major deadline in a week. Has an old Mac Book 12 inch which is a backup but that is really pushing it. She lives and sleeps with these Macbooks and they take a number of hits throughout the year. Service mentioned a minimum 500 GBP cost to repair it as Apple Care is past.

We leave next week to visit for a week....Oxford for a few days and a couple of days in Edinburgh. New Macbook Pros introduced today.

So.....I picked up a new 15 Macbook Pro and configured it today to take to her. Core i5....so wanted to buy myself the 15 i7 but decided that will have to wait a while.

The new book is nice ... great screen improved battery....will be sorry to see it go.

Bob
Your a good dad , now go in the corner and scream you did not buy one for yourself, get it out bud. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

docmoore

Steve is going to have to blink first. He knows I want quads, might have to remind him again about photographers real needs. More importantly gear slut desire's . LOL
I agree but must say that since 1984 that has not been the focus of the company.....anticipation sells more product. Who would not jump at the chance of getting an iPad with 256GB Firewire 800 and support for printing.
Although in this instance it may been partially due to inability of Intel to deliver.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Pretty hard to stare me down . I'm ugly makes it hard not to laugh first. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I have to laugh today because I'm about to scream I WANT MY 7900 PRINTER

docmoore

I'm ugly makes it hard not to laugh first.
Not at all believable.

By the way Dallas is having beautiful weather this week ... maybe a bit of rain on the weekend. Should be great for the wedding shoot.

And I keep cruising Epson's site looking for a 4900.

Bob

LJL

Well, the true quad core i7 chip went into the top end iMac, but did not make it into the MBPs. However, the top end MBP set-up is not too shabby, and with the multi-threading and turbo boost, those 4 virtual cores are not doing a bad job. There are several performance tests out there already for the iMacs using the same chips, and they do show a significant performance boost. And with the new graphics configuration on these MBPs, there is both performance and efficiency to talk about in getting some serious battery time when it matters.

We shall see how things shake out, but I would not hold my breath on a true quad core machine anytime soon, unless you are willing to take a big hit on battery life, plus be willing to use an asbestos pad on your lap ;-) Intel does have a new line of chips starting up later this year (Sandy Bridge), and they may offer some promise for next year or later. Too soon to know. Right now, these new MBPs are looking pretty good on balance. A colleague who works for Apple has been test driving one for several weeks now, and he claims it is wickedly fast compared to the older machines. I took his word and ordered one today.....15" (I like portable, not surfboard), with high res anti-glare screen. Will do the RAM upgrading myself (way cheaper), plus the 7200rpm HDD. The SSDs, though nice, are too costly, and I still worry about the slowdown issues with them over time. Should have it next week, I hope.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Well, the true quad core i7 chip went into the top end iMac, but did not make it into the MBPs. However, the top end MBP set-up is not too shabby, and with the multi-threading and turbo boost, those 4 virtual cores are not doing a bad job. There are several performance tests out there already for the iMacs using the same chips, and they do show a significant performance boost. And with the new graphics configuration on these MBPs, there is both performance and efficiency to talk about in getting some serious battery time when it matters.

We shall see how things shake out, but I would not hold my breath on a true quad core machine anytime soon, unless you are willing to take a big hit on battery life, plus be willing to use an asbestos pad on your lap ;-) Intel does have a new line of chips starting up later this year (Sandy Bridge), and they may offer some promise for next year or later. Too soon to know. Right now, these new MBPs are looking pretty good on balance. A colleague who works for Apple has been test driving one for several weeks now, and he claims it is wickedly fast compared to the older machines. I took his word and ordered one today.....15" (I like portable, not surfboard), with high res anti-glare screen. Will do the RAM upgrading myself (way cheaper), plus the 7200rpm HDD. The SSDs, though nice, are too costly, and I still worry about the slowdown issues with them over time. Should have it next week, I hope.

LJ
We just found our guinea pig. LOL

Great LJ and congrats. Maybe you can run a few P40+ files in C1 for me and see how fast she flies. Honestly this is my only speed bump is C1 high res file processing