The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

refreshed MacBook Pro line released....

kevinparis

terry

check out the 17' in the store first - i had a hi res 17" for a while and found the small UI elements outweighed the bigger screen real estate

Maybe I am just getting old.

I have to actually go out and buy a laptop for the first time in my life as all my apple inheritances are dying on me ....think i will plump for the 15 inch i7... but will await LJ's feedback

K

harmsr

Workshop Member
OK - I admit to being a guinea pig.

I bought the quad I7 iMac when it came out & now just bought the 17" anti-glare I7 MacBook Pro.

I can excuse myself since my old laptop was pre-unibody.

In my case the speed improvement is amazing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well a little bad news . At Dallas airport and dropped my laptop. Shattered the screen. Bummer looks like a instance claim and order new 15 in I7 base model except high red screen . I will use my 8gbs of Ramm and my 2 crucial ssd drives and switch it out. It still is working but I have afeeling screen will go any minute from damage. Took a punch dent like a ball pin? Hammer size about a inch in from the top to pop it. Wedding shoot is still on cards and two drives so data is safe and backed up system before I left. Now how often do I drill this safety crap in to everyone. **** happens ALways CYA

Guy Mancuso

As much as the deductable I think. Have to check tommorow and see what insurance company wants. This happened about 5 years ago and they said replace it. Will see

dseelig

Guy
My insurance with the Hartford has no deductible with my computers. A few years ago I had a surge which knocked out my then g5 rather then try to fix it they told me do not try just get a new computer I told them what my old cost new they told me I could get any computer I wanted but a then 1st generation mac book pro. They paid for it event hough is was 300 dollars over what I said my desk top cost new.

Guy Mancuso

Mine is travelers as the underwriter so I maybe good on deductable have to check in the morning . I know I paid 2700 for this one without my extras

LJL

Would not hold my breath on true quads in the MBP until maybe the next refresh. Dell put one into one of their high end machines, but it is only a 1.6GHz chip and it is not stellar by most accounts, plus is sucks the battery fast and does not have the switchable graphics. The dual-core, quad threading of the MBP i7 machines looks to hold its own at this point.

If you want a fairly decent review also, check out Laptop mag: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-core-i7.aspx

Seems plenty zippy. If you load in fast SSDs, you will probably have a very fast machine to work on, plus have great battery life. And with these faster throughputs on the entire machine, more than 8GB of RAM may not ever really be needed.

As for the USB3.0....again, not worth holding breath for that. It will have to be a much more proven and widely distributed standard before Apple puts it into the machines. I am sure it is coming, but maybe not this year. Just my guess there. Besides, FW800 is not all that bad. I just ordered a FW800 hub from Verge ( www.nitroav.com/ ). It has six ports on the front and two on the back. Totally bus powered, or you can use the included power source for desktop use. It should make downloading and copying things much easier. Not faster than eSATA, but probably fast enough.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Well not too shabby folks.

Just posted this over at Macrumors

Well I actually dropped the one you see in my signature in Dallas coming home Sunday night from a photo gig. I nailed it hard and busted it up pretty good. So today after getting estimate and dealing with insurance company. I picked up a 15 2.66 I7 with AG screen. Got it home ripped out my 8gb of ram put in new one and also took out my two Crucial P128 SSD drives and installed in new unit. Did a very quick test with one of my photo files. My camera shoots 40 mpx images BIG . So in a raw processing program called Capture One which is VERY core dependent a full res 16 bit Tiff file is 230 mgs. Old machine below same drives and ram took 26 seconds to process a file . I7 with same damn SSD drives and Ram it took 16 seconds. I say it is a smoker. About as close as you will get to a MacPro except i might put some Extreme OWC drives in running Raid O. I'm a power user but I need to be portable. So shaving 10 seconds off is pretty damn huge.

Guy Mancuso

Yea and i was emptying the time machine drive to the trash. So i still may have some left in the tank. Some more tweaks and such and see what happens but 33% is more than i hoped for.