Site Sponsors

Thread: refreshed MacBook Pro line released....

Post Thanks / Like

refreshed MacBook Pro line released....

With all the hoopla around the recent iPad release, some folks may have missed another big event from today. Apple finally refreshed the MacBook Pro line-up, and the offerings are pretty decent.

The 13" models still have Core 2 Duo chips, but have newer graphics capabilities and a bit more battery power.

The 15" models get new Core i5 and i7 options for the processors, plus new graphics processors with auto-switching, a new, bigger battery with 8-9 hours run per charge, and the option for a new high resolution screen in both glossy or matte configurations. Options for up to 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM also.

The 17" model gets new i7 chips and graphics, plus bit larger battery, plus SSD and RAM options too.

These are all pretty decent upgrades, at least for the 15" & 17" models, and the prices did not go through the roof either.

Besides the direct link to the Apple site, here are some nice brief summary articles that help highlight things:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/13/...i7-processors/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/13/...w-macbook-pro/

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/13/...7-macbook-pro/

Definitely worth the wait for these, and worth checking out if you have not done so already.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: refreshed MacBook Pro line released....

they are making some pretty incredible performance boost claims too!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

DougDolde

Pity the poor people who bought one this past weekend.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Think I will wait for Quad cores.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Think I will wait for Quad cores."

It's like a battle to the death: who'll blink first, Guy Mancuso, or Steve Jobs?

Maybe we need a poll.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been noodling on this all morning. With the iPad I will now only take a full blown laptop on a dedicated photography trip. Right now I have a 13" MBP (2009) a 15" MBP (2008). Thinking about selling both MBPs and consolidating with one 17" model. Gets me the most screen real estate for photo editing and I know that I don't need to lug it around for a casual weekend away.

Decisions, decisions.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Think I will wait for Quad cores.
    If recent history is any indication that may be a while....and I doubt the Steve is blinking at much these days. He has seen the ragged edge and knows where that line is drawn.

Got a call from my daughter today...her Macbook Pro 15 died again today...second time in three years. She is in a D Phil program at Oxford University and has a major deadline in a week. Has an old Mac Book 12 inch which is a backup but that is really pushing it. She lives and sleeps with these Macbooks and they take a number of hits throughout the year. Service mentioned a minimum 500 GBP cost to repair it as Apple Care is past.

We leave next week to visit for a week....Oxford for a few days and a couple of days in Edinburgh. New Macbook Pros introduced today.

So.....I picked up a new 15 Macbook Pro and configured it today to take to her. Core i5....so wanted to buy myself the 15 i7 but decided that will have to wait a while.

The new book is nice ... great screen improved battery....will be sorry to see it go.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess I will inherit the old 15...

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve is going to have to blink first. He knows I want quads, might have to remind him again about photographers real needs. More importantly gear slut desire's . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These benchmarks seem a little hyped if you ask me. Claiming 50 percent is a little pie in the sky. We need a guinea pig here to test it for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    If recent history is any indication that may be a while....and I doubt the Steve is blinking at much these days. He has seen the ragged edge and knows where that line is drawn.

Got a call from my daughter today...her Macbook Pro 15 died again today...second time in three years. She is in a D Phil program at Oxford University and has a major deadline in a week. Has an old Mac Book 12 inch which is a backup but that is really pushing it. She lives and sleeps with these Macbooks and they take a number of hits throughout the year. Service mentioned a minimum 500 GBP cost to repair it as Apple Care is past.

We leave next week to visit for a week....Oxford for a few days and a couple of days in Edinburgh. New Macbook Pros introduced today.

So.....I picked up a new 15 Macbook Pro and configured it today to take to her. Core i5....so wanted to buy myself the 15 i7 but decided that will have to wait a while.

The new book is nice ... great screen improved battery....will be sorry to see it go.

Bob
    Your a good dad , now go in the corner and scream you did not buy one for yourself, get it out bud.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve is going to have to blink first. He knows I want quads, might have to remind him again about photographers real needs. More importantly gear slut desire's . LOL
    I agree but must say that since 1984 that has not been the focus of the company.....anticipation sells more product. Who would not jump at the chance of getting an iPad with 256GB Firewire 800 and support for printing.
    Although in this instance it may been partially due to inability of Intel to deliver.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post

It's like a battle to the death: who'll blink first, Guy Mancuso, or Steve Jobs?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty hard to stare me down . I'm ugly makes it hard not to laugh first.

I have to laugh today because I'm about to scream I WANT MY 7900 PRINTER

Post Thanks / Like

I'm ugly makes it hard not to laugh first.
    Not at all believable.

By the way Dallas is having beautiful weather this week ... maybe a bit of rain on the weekend. Should be great for the wedding shoot.

And I keep cruising Epson's site looking for a 4900.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the true quad core i7 chip went into the top end iMac, but did not make it into the MBPs. However, the top end MBP set-up is not too shabby, and with the multi-threading and turbo boost, those 4 virtual cores are not doing a bad job. There are several performance tests out there already for the iMacs using the same chips, and they do show a significant performance boost. And with the new graphics configuration on these MBPs, there is both performance and efficiency to talk about in getting some serious battery time when it matters.

We shall see how things shake out, but I would not hold my breath on a true quad core machine anytime soon, unless you are willing to take a big hit on battery life, plus be willing to use an asbestos pad on your lap ;-) Intel does have a new line of chips starting up later this year (Sandy Bridge), and they may offer some promise for next year or later. Too soon to know. Right now, these new MBPs are looking pretty good on balance. A colleague who works for Apple has been test driving one for several weeks now, and he claims it is wickedly fast compared to the older machines. I took his word and ordered one today.....15" (I like portable, not surfboard), with high res anti-glare screen. Will do the RAM upgrading myself (way cheaper), plus the 7200rpm HDD. The SSDs, though nice, are too costly, and I still worry about the slowdown issues with them over time. Should have it next week, I hope.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bob heading down Friday till Sunday. Looking forward to getting out of town for the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Well, the true quad core i7 chip went into the top end iMac, but did not make it into the MBPs. However, the top end MBP set-up is not too shabby, and with the multi-threading and turbo boost, those 4 virtual cores are not doing a bad job. There are several performance tests out there already for the iMacs using the same chips, and they do show a significant performance boost. And with the new graphics configuration on these MBPs, there is both performance and efficiency to talk about in getting some serious battery time when it matters.

We shall see how things shake out, but I would not hold my breath on a true quad core machine anytime soon, unless you are willing to take a big hit on battery life, plus be willing to use an asbestos pad on your lap ;-) Intel does have a new line of chips starting up later this year (Sandy Bridge), and they may offer some promise for next year or later. Too soon to know. Right now, these new MBPs are looking pretty good on balance. A colleague who works for Apple has been test driving one for several weeks now, and he claims it is wickedly fast compared to the older machines. I took his word and ordered one today.....15" (I like portable, not surfboard), with high res anti-glare screen. Will do the RAM upgrading myself (way cheaper), plus the 7200rpm HDD. The SSDs, though nice, are too costly, and I still worry about the slowdown issues with them over time. Should have it next week, I hope.

LJ
    We just found our guinea pig. LOL

Great LJ and congrats. Maybe you can run a few P40+ files in C1 for me and see how fast she flies. Honestly this is my only speed bump is C1 high res file processing

DougDolde

Just be sure to buy it from the ASMP store. Discounted. If you have a state sales tax number you can fax in a form to get it with no sales tax.

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_338040
    Last edited by DougDolde; 13th April 2010 at 14:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Or, use the developers discount, if you have it ;-)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice prices guy's. I'm going to wait some though . Get my printer rocking and rolling first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

terry

check out the 17' in the store first - i had a hi res 17" for a while and found the small UI elements outweighed the bigger screen real estate

Maybe I am just getting old.

I have to actually go out and buy a laptop for the first time in my life as all my apple inheritances are dying on me ....think i will plump for the 15 inch i7... but will await LJ's feedback

K

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Or, use the developers discount, if you have it ;-)

LJ
    Tell me more...just registered for the iPhone dev program.

Bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - I admit to being a guinea pig.

I bought the quad I7 iMac when it came out & now just bought the 17" anti-glare I7 MacBook Pro.

I can excuse myself since my old laptop was pre-unibody.

In my case the speed improvement is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well a little bad news . At Dallas airport and dropped my laptop. Shattered the screen. Bummer looks like a instance claim and order new 15 in I7 base model except high red screen . I will use my 8gbs of Ramm and my 2 crucial ssd drives and switch it out. It still is working but I have afeeling screen will go any minute from damage. Took a punch dent like a ball pin? Hammer size about a inch in from the top to pop it. Wedding shoot is still on cards and two drives so data is safe and backed up system before I left. Now how often do I drill this safety crap in to everyone. **** happens ALways CYA

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry spelling on iPhone . Also always buy all risk insurance and full replacement cost

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The bad news is I will now lose my express card slot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sort of sucks but you might want to also see what they will charge for a new screen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as the deductable I think. Have to check tommorow and see what insurance company wants. This happened about 5 years ago and they said replace it. Will see

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also repair takes too long and this is main unit. Have Nancys Air but hardly worthy

Post Thanks / Like

Guy
    My insurance with the Hartford has no deductible with my computers. A few years ago I had a surge which knocked out my then g5 rather then try to fix it they told me do not try just get a new computer I told them what my old cost new they told me I could get any computer I wanted but a then 1st generation mac book pro. They paid for it event hough is was 300 dollars over what I said my desk top cost new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine is travelers as the underwriter so I maybe good on deductable have to check in the morning . I know I paid 2700 for this one without my extras

Post Thanks / Like

I wait for Quads, 16GB and USB3 :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

DougDolde

Bare Feats has a preliminary test online:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp18.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I wait for Quads, 16GB and USB3 :-)
    Maybe Steve can do some magic in the next week.LOL

now I can't wait

Post Thanks / Like

Would not hold my breath on true quads in the MBP until maybe the next refresh. Dell put one into one of their high end machines, but it is only a 1.6GHz chip and it is not stellar by most accounts, plus is sucks the battery fast and does not have the switchable graphics. The dual-core, quad threading of the MBP i7 machines looks to hold its own at this point.

If you want a fairly decent review also, check out Laptop mag: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...h-core-i7.aspx

Seems plenty zippy. If you load in fast SSDs, you will probably have a very fast machine to work on, plus have great battery life. And with these faster throughputs on the entire machine, more than 8GB of RAM may not ever really be needed.

As for the USB3.0....again, not worth holding breath for that. It will have to be a much more proven and widely distributed standard before Apple puts it into the machines. I am sure it is coming, but maybe not this year. Just my guess there. Besides, FW800 is not all that bad. I just ordered a FW800 hub from Verge ( www.nitroav.com/ ). It has six ports on the front and two on the back. Totally bus powered, or you can use the included power source for desktop use. It should make downloading and copying things much easier. Not faster than eSATA, but probably fast enough.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well not too shabby folks.

Just posted this over at Macrumors

Well I actually dropped the one you see in my signature in Dallas coming home Sunday night from a photo gig. I nailed it hard and busted it up pretty good. So today after getting estimate and dealing with insurance company. I picked up a 15 2.66 I7 with AG screen. Got it home ripped out my 8gb of ram put in new one and also took out my two Crucial P128 SSD drives and installed in new unit. Did a very quick test with one of my photo files. My camera shoots 40 mpx images BIG . So in a raw processing program called Capture One which is VERY core dependent a full res 16 bit Tiff file is 230 mgs. Old machine below same drives and ram took 26 seconds to process a file . I7 with same damn SSD drives and Ram it took 16 seconds. I say it is a smoker. About as close as you will get to a MacPro except i might put some Extreme OWC drives in running Raid O. I'm a power user but I need to be portable. So shaving 10 seconds off is pretty damn huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is huge --- basically a 33% gain!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea and i was emptying the time machine drive to the trash. So i still may have some left in the tank. Some more tweaks and such and see what happens but 33% is more than i hoped for.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Guy, next expresso is on me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Charlie this thing has some get up and go. Like the AG screen which i am surprised about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well not too shabby folks.

Just posted this over at Macrumors

..... Got it home ripped out my 8gb of ram put in new one and also took out my two Crucial P128 SSD drives and installed in new unit.
    Guy, could you comment a bit on this. I assume you've removed the optical drive and put the second Crucial in that bay? What hardware did you use to mount the SSD? And what do you do when you need a CD/DVD? Anything to watch out for in the process?

Thanks.

Cheers, -Peter