The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Storage

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I've heard a few people talk about storage and I'm about to jump into that arena myself.

So I have a few options.

1.) Cost: $.4 Raid 1 (mirror - size unknown but half that of stripe), $.2 Raid 0 (stripe - between 400 GB and 1 TB; whatever is on sale). Buy individual drives and manage Mirroring on my own (ie, copy to each). This option is cheapest, and biggest PITA. I must copy first to one drive then when that finished, repeat the process to a second drive.

2.) Cost: $.6 Raid 1 (mirror - 1 TB), $.3 Raid 0 (stripe - 2 TB). Buy a raid unit w/ 2 drives having 1 TB each and go Raid 1 (mirror). The cost is a bit more but I do not have to manually copy to each drive.

3.) Cost: $.45 Raid 5 (1.5 TB), $.67 Raid 1 (mirror - 1 TB), $.33 Raid 0 (stripe - 2 TB). Buy a raid unit w/ 4 drives having 500 GB (.5 TB) and go Raid 5. It should yield improved performance and still provide data redundancy (if a single drive fails.)

So far, I'm leaning most towards option 3, (Raid 5). I get redundancy like Raid 1 but with more drive space and improved performance.

Thoughts, comments, other? What do you guys use?

Ps. Yes, I know that this doesn't cover fire, or theft, etc. When (if!) I start making money on this venture, I'll be sure to keep important images off-site. Until then; I'm just going to have to risk it.

-------------------
*mirror - duplicate information on multiple (generally 2) disc drives (like a mirror copy).
*stripe - information is written to two hard drives at the same time so that each drive only has to write half the information (like having 2 water faucets to fill two buckets. It will take only half the time). Improved performance is off-set by the fact that losing one drive will result in the complete loss of the image.
*Raid 5 - Uses a checksum bit to validate so that if any one drive fails, it can be rebuild by inserting a working hard drive. It's also spread over multiple drives which should improve performance (in theory, there are always exceptions).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's a tough call. With R5, you get redundancy, but are hosed if two drives fail relatively close together. You could R5 - 1, which is double reduntdant, and likly the most secure, but also costly. I opted for R1-1-1 --- yes, triple redundancy, but only for the current years files. I keep historical years R1-1. It is slower more costly than R5 but essentially as secure as R5-1 whiel being less costly. So in the end, I give up some write speed, which IMO is no big deal in my applications. BTW, I'm migrating from 500G drives to 1T drives here in the near future.

Jack

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Some interesting and good points, thanks Jack!

How many current GB/TB are you using and in which configurations? Like 500GB/500GB/500GB (for current stuff) and 1 TB/1 TB for historical? Or what?

1.5 TB should hold me for a very long time. I'll be starting w/ a base around 300 GB, and adding the 50 GB I have from New Zealand (well, I may only save around 30 GB or so, we'll see).

I thought about getting 1 TB drives, but I think it may be overkill. I want to balance the need to not upgrade within a month (hassle factor) with not needing to upgrade for 10 years (overspending on ever falling costs). So basically, I SHOULD need to upgrade between a couple to a few years from now (with costs of 5 TB drives dropping to a nice level when I do my next upgrade ;)

Personally, I really wish the unit had 5 drives, so I could have 1.5 TB and run it with 2 parity drives. But it doesn't and breaking the norm increases price significantly.

Not that it matters; but my current desktop is running dual 160 GB drives in Raid 1; so critical works go there. Of which I have surprisingly few ;) At least for now...

And unlike Jack, I hope to hold off getting a new computer for another 6 months - 1 year (hopefully in that time, Tiny$oft will have have become Smarter$oft and fixed Vista. Without question, none of Apples marketing campaigns have been as effective at converting PC users to Mac users, as Vista has.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Currently, my historical images only take up about 1T (2@500G), and I have that mirrored to another offsite 1T, also 2@500G. My current files are on a 500G mirrored to another 500G, then mirrored to a third offsite 500G, which gets updated monthly or after a large shoot. Any file deletes are NOT mirrored for safety. So I currently have two full copies of my historical images, and three copies of my "working" drive files. I am going to migrate the offsite drive to a 2T NAS box (no raid) and network the offsite mirroring so I don't have to do it manually.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
My 2 TB (1.5 usable) Raid 5 array just arrived! Looking forward to plugging it all in tonight!

Space. The Final Frontier. These are the ...
:rolleyes:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Chris,

What did you get? I Have been looking at the G-Technology G-Speed eS. I will need to add more storage soon and I was thinking of 1 or 2 TB G-Speed eS. Not sure yet.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Chris,
What did you get?
I got a Cavalry 4 disc (500GB), Raid 5 (1.5TB usable) array with eSataII card and cable. The part number is: CADA002SA4. The price was pretty good so I went with it. I'll post in a week or so after I've used it a bit.