Site Sponsors

Thread: New iMac is out...

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New iMac is out...

Glad I procrastinate and Powerbook was delayed. I will get one of these

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New iMac is out...

With my academic rate 2358 for a 500gig 24inch 3.02 4 gig memory. I must sell some safe queens...

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't be so fast to jump John... I understand very shortly there will be a 23" cinema display that has a MacBookPro docking slot built into the rear. Best part is it is a drop in and go!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow now that would be cool
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

friend of mine is considering an imac 24" for photo work-any opinion of the screen-will it calibrate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    friend of mine is considering an imac 24" for photo work-any opinion of the screen-will it calibrate?
    I still keep in touch with the IT shop at the University and no problems with calibration of the 24 (1st gen Intel) on the director of graphic arts desk and I've had no problems with my older 20 inch G5.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I still keep in touch with the IT shop at the University and no problems with calibration of the 24 (1st gen Intel) on the director of graphic arts desk and I've had no problems with my older 20 inch G5.
    thanks for the response, this was with the older white imac with matt screen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    thanks for the response, this was with the older white imac with matt screen?
    Yes, but they are now put out the glossy one and so far I've not heard of problems. Almost wish there was as now they would bring me back as a consultant.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well the 20" glossy screen version I have read on the internets that it is a lower quality lcd and will not calibrate properly. So that one is out. But no one seems to have a definitive answer to the new glossy 24".

it comes down to the difference between tn and sips, which I don't understand, and that the cheaper ones are capable only of 6bit resolution, which through dither and interpolation they make up for what cannot be resolved. I am assuming the 23" cinema display is 8bit, and if the new 24" imac were 8 bit it would seem useful for photo work.

bottom line is that the imacs are consumer products, designed for dvd's and gaming, and not exactly at home in a graphics environment, despite what they get bought for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, any further word on this? Is it common knowledge and I'm the last guy to hear about it? I'd love to find out more. I think the lack of a docking solution for Apple laptops is a huge hole in their product line. I've been using Dell Latitude laptops for years - always in a dock. I have 4 docks in various places I go. My laptop to me is just a local computer that gets dropped on a dock wherever it goes. I wish Apple had a similar solution. The thought of, say, carrying a Macbook Pro back and forth to the office each day and hooking up the myriad of cables each time is pretty much a deal breaker for me. An integrated cinema display sounds like a neat idea.

---Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I wouldn't be so fast to jump John... I understand very shortly there will be a 23" cinema display that has a MacBookPro docking slot built into the rear. Best part is it is a drop in and go!