The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ipad, RAW files, camera connector, upload

jonoslack

Hi There
I thought that this probably warranted a new thread.
Terry has covered some of this ground first - and I'm eternally grateful to her for both my ipad and the camera connector :clap: :clap:
I think it was Uwe (or was it Marc) that suggested that he wanted to use the iPad to

1. store photos
2. select and delete
3. upload to a remote server

1. Store photos
Great - we all know - the camera connector works really well, and if you have CF cards it works well with them and a card reader - RAW files are copied an import location, and you can look at the last import - or all imports. You can view and delete files - and if you've used both RAW+jpg, then if you delete one it will delete the other (see more later).

2. Select and delete
There was some discussion about whether the applications (photo - or photogene or whatever) were decoding the RAW file or not - as far as I can see the answer is definitely NOT. They are using the embedded jpg image in the RAW file - and in the case of M9 compressed DNG files this is not good enough to judge anything.
This was borne out by opening the files in Photogene (what a great app) - which was also only using the low resolution jpg.
However, if you shoot RAW+jpg, then you get a really good file to deal with:
In Photo - you only see one copy of the file (the jpg), but if you delete it, it also deletes the RAW file:clap:
The jpg can be used to edit within photogene for emailing etc. (excellent)

3. Upload to a remote server
The problem now is that airsharing HD (an excellent application) is currently only allowed to access 1 picture at a time. Not very useful if you're planning to upload a wedding! This may be changed in OS4 - but of course, that isn't coming until the fall

However, in the meantime there is a fairly elegant work around. First you must jailbreak your iPad . . . . . . . I'm not of the geek tendency, and my iphone has always remained resolutely unbroken. But I've jailbroken the iPad -

Spirit JB website

It was really quick and easy and has the added benefit of painless and seamless multi-tasking.

Having jailbroken you can install Backgrounder and then iFile (using the Cydia app - all will become clear!). Having installed ifile you need to open it, go to settings and enable appnames.

iFile will allow you access to the image files (with a folder for your last import) - you can select all of these, and copy them in one go to the AirSharing directory. From there you can zip them up (if you want) and upload them to any server you have installed. As you have installed Backgrounder - you will be able to hold down the home button to send it into the background while it does the big upload. (settings for backgrounder are in the backgrounder icon).

We have tested this (Silas helping here), and once it's set up it should be a breeze - jailbreaking seems to be a no-brainer for the iPad.

Two Notes
1. Don't assume that all Cydia Apps work with the Ipad - most don't yet
2. Disclaimer:
Make sure you back up your iPad first - and that there is NOTHING on it which you don't have elsewhere . . . . I'd like to say that I'm not responsible if anything either doesn't work or goes wrong :angel:

I can probably get more detailed instructions if anyone wants to try this.

all the best

tom in mpls

Thanks, Jono. Your summary is a great idea. I had been looking at the old thread now and then which was frustrating since I wasn't following closely. I knew there was lots of great info there...somewhere.

And thanks to all who shared their findings on the old thread.

jonoslack

Deleting files

Incidentally, perhaps Terry has found it different, but I had another problem:

Import files to iPad - get home - import to computer. All fine . . . then you want to get the images off the ipad (to leave the space for the next download). The only way I could find to do it was to delete the images one by one. :wtf:

However, if you use iFile on a jailbroken ipad, you can navigate to the correct section and delete the whole forlder in one go (or groups of items from within the folder).

jlm

Workshop Member
can you use that jailbreaker to allow the Ipad to be seen as a hard drive on your computer?

Terry

Deleting files

Incidentally, perhaps Terry has found it different, but I had another problem:

Import files to iPad - get home - import to computer. All fine . . . then you want to get the images off the ipad (to leave the space for the next download). The only way I could find to do it was to delete the images one by one. :wtf:

However, if you use iFile on a jailbroken ipad, you can navigate to the correct section and delete the whole forlder in one go (or groups of items from within the folder).
Uwe and I were exploring this. The only thing we could find was one by one. You click on them and then you get the blue arrow and then you mass delete but the clicking is one by one.

I probably will have a slightly different workflow with the iPad and only upload what I want to email out to people and leave the card intact for upload to the computer when I get home. Haven't gone on a big photo outing with it yet so I may change my mind :D

jonoslack

can you use that jailbreaker to allow the Ipad to be seen as a hard drive on your computer?
Not quite . .. but.
you can download (using Cydia) a program called netatalk - then restart. Then you need to re-spring it with SBSettings (or restart it twice).
the ipad will then appear in finder as a network drive (with a nice picture of the iPad).

You will need to connect as 'root' with whatever password you've allocated.

Thanks to Silas here (my resident geek).

all the best

jonoslack

Uwe and I were exploring this. The only thing we could find was one by one. You click on them and then you get the blue arrow and then you mass delete but the clicking is one by one.

I probably will have a slightly different workflow with the iPad and only upload what I want to email out to people and leave the card intact for upload to the computer when I get home. Haven't gone on a big photo outing with it yet so I may change my mind :D
Hi Terry
on second thoughts - deleting using iFiles doesn't seem to work . . . . at least, it does work until you restart, then they reappear! Maybe the blue arrow way is the only way (it isn't too bad).

I'm not going to be doing any uploading either - definitely not, I'm happy to have a backup, and a means of evaluating / emailing / deleting images when on a trip - I always carry enough SD/CF cards for the whole trip anyway. Uploading to the computer when I get home is the way for me.

I was just trying to find out whether it was feasible - and it is, and not too arduous - it's possible now,and likely to be easier later :D

shadzee

I've been playing around with AirVideo.

It would be wonderful if they add the "Photo" feature. (I think they are thinking about a better implementation of photos)

Then you could access all your photos (stream) from your PC/Server at home!!

As it is, you could create a movie (of your slide show), and play it on the iPad.

D

DougDolde

Are you just using Backgrounder or ProSwitcher with it? I found ProSwitcher to provide a better interface than just Backgrounder by itself.

jonoslack

Are you just using Backgrounder or ProSwitcher with it? I found ProSwitcher to provide a better interface than just Backgrounder by itself.
HI Doug
Does it work on the iPad . . . I just installed it and it doesn't seem to be very happy!

all the best

D

DougDolde

Probably works on the iPad. I don't really know as I don't yet have an iPad. But I will say on the 3G iPhone it is not that great, 3GS would work well though.

jonoslack

Doug . . . Simon
Neither of them work on the iPad (proswitcher or kirikae)
I know this . . . 'cos I've tried!

D

DougDolde

iPhone OS 4.0 will have multitasking but I remember Steve Jobs saying the 3G iPhone doesn't have enough hardware power, i.e. it won't be available for the 3G only for the 3GS (and of course the coming iPhone 4 whatever they call it).

monza

Yep. However using a reasonably sized SD card as additional storage eliminates power and cable issues. Using a jailbroken ipad and iFile, I was able to play some videos directly off a 16GB SD card. This additional storage could be quite handy. :)

shadzee

Just got the Camera Connector... about a week early.

It's sweet how the Lightroom3 sees the iPad and the Latest Downloads. In the field, I can see how I could load everything into the iPad, and have others (and me) look at them in a larger format, and then bring it home and feed the images into the Lightroom.