The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad 3G & Texting

Tex

Subscriber Member
I just recd a 3G Ipad this AM with all the associated & expensive "toys" that Apple offers/offered.

My ONLY, ONLY reason for purchasing the IPad was for "enhanced texting" over/above what my IPhone (heavy business use) offers.

I purchased the online text apps and consider them "junk".

Am I missing something here? Perhaps the problem is probably between my two ears???????

Solutions/Work A Rounds ANYBODY???

Tex

Subscriber Member
Terry, perhaps (and without doubt in retrospect) not written explicity enough. I was hoping to at the very least replicate my IPhone "texting" capabilities. As "receive message" and instantly respond.

In my business, "we" make deals/transactions within seconds via text commitments.

Your expertise/advise will be sincerely appreciated.

PS: I purchased my first Mac in 1984 - a $3,200 Mac Plus with 1 (one) meg of memory -I was "lucky" to buy an extra one meg (1) meg at $1,400

tom in mpls

I hadn't stopped to think about this. Since there is no "Messages" app tied to one's cell phone number, this is a "missing function" on the iPad. My mistake in thinking that it's a "big iPhone". I love the "Message" app.

Terry

The only text app that I've tried is Textie and it seems to work OK. I need some more time with it but it's free so you should try it out

monza

There wasn't a 1Mb Mac Plus in 1984

It was only 128K or 512K Mac (no Plus) later that year, heh he. :)

Tex

Subscriber Member
Monza, I apologize for the misapplication of the year I bought my first MacPlus. I defer to your superior memory/Google capability. Would you care to inform me when I bought my first Lisa and subsuquently my two Mac XL's?

Monza, your response and words speak volumes.

Have a great day!

monza

Tex, sorry you took offense to that post, it was not meant to do anything but compare how far things have come. 128K was considered a fair amount RAM back then, so your 1Mb was literally 'mega'...remember the touted 'virtual slots?'

Tex

Subscriber Member
Monza, no problem at all. Seems like I paid $5,000 plus each for some Mac XL's in 84/83 and $2,000 for a 120meg hard drive in 86/87??

ANYWAY, looks like my IPad 3G is going back to Apple tomorrow. I just want similar texting capability that I have on my beloved IPhone. The other features are meaningless to me for my application.

monza

When the Mac Plus came out (with SCSI) that's when hard drives took off. Before that, there were some kludged serial drives like the Tecmar (5MB.) I don't recall how much the original Apple HDs were, I think they were more like 20mb for $2k. Maybe Godfrey would remember.

The original Lisa was 10k, 1983 vintage...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Unfortunately the only real SMS texting applications for the iPad 3G appear to require jail breaking it at the moment to take advantage of the AT&T data plan capabilities.

wjlapier

I'm using textfree from Pinger on my touch. Not exactly free--$5.00 for a year, but it works well if I'm in my home network, or if I find a wifi hotspot.

Not sure they have an app for the ipad, but probably will eventually.