Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPad Apps

Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPad Apps

I haven't found anything better than Smartnote. I've tried several and it generally works the best of all of them for me. The only time I had an issue with the page moving with the stylus was when I failed to click on the "create" button after drawing the palm area. Otherwise the page has stayed stable. I have the Pogo Sketch also and set the black pen to the finest (1) and save it. Its as fine as I write in real life. I read somewhere when I was searching for a good notetaking app that if your screen has greasy fingerprints a harder rubber stylus works better but I've only tried the Sketch and am happy enough with it.

There are a number of these apps but I just haven't found snything better all around. BTW if you have issues you might email the developer. I had a question and he responded almost immediately. There's also a pretty good pdf help available.

Post Thanks / Like

Stumbled on an iPad app (Annamika) that lets you create kaleidoscope images from your photos. It creates a slowly evolving animation. When you see something interesting, you can snap a screenshot and e-mail it to yourself.

Here's a link to the app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/annam...382103285?mt=8.

And here are the results using two photos I had previously saved to my iPad.

tokengirl

I just downloaded Camera For iPad, which uses bluetooth to transfer images from your iPhone to your iPad. It also enables you to shoot tethered to the iPad, see photo below.

Also, I found some free iBooks that may be of interest: Pictorial Photography in America - there are 3 issues available. 1920, 1921 and 1922 issues. They each contain some stunning photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Not photo related but possibly useful for those that need a word processor or spreadsheet app. I'm a PC kinda person so this is particularly nice for me. I was trying to solve a problem for a friend with an Ipad and found this Office2HD
    http://www.bytesquared.com/products/...ad/default.asp

For my needs these days this will suffice for a lot of things, esp. with a BT keyboard. Folders too, unlike Pages which I wish I hadn't bought. This is much like Word and Excel
    and though not totally full featured would serve the needs of many of us. Lots of features like file sharing, insertion of graphics, email as pdf or doc, etc. Opens mail attachments. Worth every penny of $7.99 to me.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Stumbled on an iPad app (Annamika) that lets you create kaleidoscope images from your photos. It creates a slowly evolving animation. When you see something interesting, you can snap a screenshot and e-mail it to yourself.
    Great idea. Ideal for my Texture Blending:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uwe, that texture is superb. I haven't figured out if you can get a high resolution screen capture from Annamika because I haven't brought one into LR yet. What are you finding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Uwe, that texture is superb. I haven't figured out if you can get a high resolution screen capture from Annamika because I haven't brought one into LR yet. What are you finding?
    You are limited to the screen resolution. Too bad. Still very interesting.

The texture I used was based on an own image.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Kaleidoscope X for Ipad which was the basis for Annamika. Enjoy it. Too bad resolution is limited
    http://www.gritless.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Diane,

check this:

Last edited by ustein; 3rd August 2010 at 16:22.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe, love both of those *smile*. You've added one of your lovely textures to the second and it really does make you want to go a little deeper and spend more time with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Uwe, love both of those *smile*. You've added one of your lovely textures to the second and it really does make you want to go a little deeper and spend more time with it.
    The texture is just a wall.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Diane,

check this:
    Those look really cool, Uwe.

I've been trying photos that have a distinct object against a neutral background. Here are a couple of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Those look really cool, Uwe.

I've been trying photos that have a distinct object against a neutral background. Here are a couple of those.

That works very well.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My contribution:

Post Thanks / Like

lot of fun.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

gosh, that looks like great fun. i just downloaded the app.
    I have always loved mandalas!
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...log_index.html

couldn't seem to find a backup program in the App Store, so I posted an innocent query asking if anyone knew of a real backup program for the iPad to the Apple Discussions group. Two surprises. First, there is no backup program for the iPad. Oh, my.

Second, a substantial number of users couldn't imagine why I would even need a backup program! Okay, I understand being a podhead (in contrast to gearhead), but apparently that understanding is not reciprocated. Several folks even took me to task for not using the iPad in the "proper" way.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you synch your iPad with iTunes on your computer (pshyically plug it in) iTunes will actually make a backup. You can restore your iPad from that backup. So perhaps you were taken to task because you really needn't worry about making backups or finding an app if you regularly synch your iPad.

Post Thanks / Like

Interessting online video tutorial how to manage and editing files:

http://www.lynda.com/home/TutorialLa...spx?lpk4=71066

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had a chance to explore it, but the tInker Photo app looks interesting.

It's a sketch/painting app for the iPad that you can use with your own photos. It's free for a limited time.

Hoping to use it for the kind of tracing shown below.

Here's a link to the iTunes preview page: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tinke...380853209?mt=8.

Post Thanks / Like

I have noted that a few people have mentioned Photogene. a few others:

PhotoForge is good at processing

Filterstorm has a great B&W conversion.

Someone already mentioned LightTrac. It is a cool program. It struggles with wifi connection as I think it uses the 3G connection for location data.

TideGraph HD is useful if you are at a location where tides are important. good for planning.

Cliff

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who asks me for tech help. Since her needs are for using in her work I learned a lot more about productivity apps than I would have otherwise. Dropbox or box.net are extremely useful. Goodreader has been mentioned a number of times. We're PC folks so Office2HD is terrific, mail2groups for group mailings, i like Smartnotes for notebooks with lots of great options, Tinker for using to add handwritten notes to printscreens for graphic tutes.

A tip I read today which is nice for those of us that would like to have music or news while working in another app (knowing that we will get that with 4.0 upgrade). Browse to a station that streams live in Safari. Choose whatever choice for streaming--an itunes or mp3 choice works best, let it load and then go out of app and move to another. I used it today up at the pool to listen to my favorite NPR station and then worked with Photogene. Streamed fine.

Post Thanks / Like

One app that I have been playing with is cropulator. All it does is cropping, but it has a greet feature in that it shows you the pixel size of the cropped image at all times. That is a nice feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another app. A bit OT but interesting nonetheless. I've been following the usage of the Ipad for musicians-- amazing the uses they have found for them.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/08/31/found...pad-orchestra/

Post Thanks / Like

I just stumbled on this. I don't think I've seen it mentioned before. Tethered shooting with the Ipad requires more than just the app, Shuttersnitch, but that's required and certainly sounds interesting. .

http://www.padgadget.com/2010/08/08/...-on-your-ipad/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    I just watched the video. That looks really pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

PhotoArtistaHD - Oil is a pretty good iPad app for converting your saved photos to painterly images. Not nearly as powerful as Corel's Painter on the PC or Mac, but it's quick and easy.

Have to experiment with the parameters to see if I can lessen the effect and retain more of the sharpness of the original.

Here's a before and after:

And here's the link to the developer's website: http://www.jixipix.com/photo-artista/photo-artista.html.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photo Wall is an App that I downloaded yesterday. It is a free for now and allows you to make a collage of photos on your iPad. You can customize the background add text and completely free form layout. Very easy to use and the output (a jpeg) can be saved on iPad emailed or uploaded to places like facebook. I do have a few situations in mind for using it (like sending off a grouping of pictures when traveling or when I don't really want to give out the actual files of the jpegs when emailing off pix (I've done that and been horrified that people used them in books or other ways not befitting the file size I've sent). Here is a quick collage that I did in about 3 minutes this AM.

Also for the iPhone I downloaded a photobooth app that while slow is actually quite fun to use.( slow meaning - it takes a bit of time to take all four photos but you do get time to pose for each shot to make it more interesting). It gives a film strip of four photos just like an old booth. Thumbs up!
    Last edited by Terry; 23rd September 2010 at 14:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Both apps are very nice.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you synch your iPad with iTunes on your computer (pshyically plug it in) iTunes will actually make a backup. You can restore your iPad from that backup. So perhaps you were taken to task because you really needn't worry about making backups or finding an app if you regularly synch your iPad.
    I discovered at the Apple Store's Genius Bar that, unfortunately, if there is a system issue, Apple says NOT to restore, that you are only restoring the same corruption (assuming you had backed up after the corruption happened, and now your backup is corrupt). They told me to start from scratch, which is not any fun, especially since I found some of the apps' data are not backed up in any other way other than the itunes backup, so you lose all the data you had entered. I no longer use those apps (PhotoAssist, for one example).

Post Thanks / Like

I've found an expensive iPad app that lets you display and arrange your photos in any order.

You can load them in from a stored iPad photo album or bring them in through iTunes. I especially like that you can arrange the photos by rows and columns, and then swipe up, down, and sideways to reach them when in display mode. I have my landscape- and portrait-oriented photos in separate columns, so I don't have to constantly reorient the iPad when showing them.

The app is titled Minimal Folio. Here's a link to the iTunes description page: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minim...385429744?mt=8.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I meant to say "inexpensive" not "expensive" in the previous message. Minimal Folio is only $2.99.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I downloaded Touch Up a new photo editing app ($3) for the iPad. Seems pretty good so far. I like the dodge and burn tools ($1.99 in app purchase). For dodge and burn you "paint" in the areas with your fingers.

Post Thanks / Like

New Fine-Art Photo Apps!

Just an announcement that my 2nd photo app for the IPad is now available on ITunes. I just had a 3 page article on my "Magical IPad Apps" in the current PDN magazine!!!! My 1 month of fame :-)

This one is called "Magical Pony Faire", and is about the Connemara Ponies and Shows in Western Ireland. I have added "pinch-zooming" to it, tell me what you think!

It can be previewed at http://tiny.cc/wpmii

I am now making these as a service for other photographers also..... I just love the IPad etc. for showing my work to people (as long as it is not in bright sun ;-)
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd mention a little app for notetaking which I do a lot. I've tried several. The Smartnote is great for creating notebooks and I have used it a lot but it gets too fiddly to use efficiently for me to use for notetaking Noteshelf is great for handwritten notes--really nice and smooth like 'regular' writing. But--I like to mix handwritten and text and like options. I saw recommendations for Notes Plus and this is a great little app. It misses a few things but they are in his radar to add in upgrades--like Dropbox (which I use all the time in quite a few apps). I got it on sale this past weekend so don't know if its still on sale but for notetaking (be sure and read the guide to understand, but once you do its easy to use) its the best I've found.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaving nov 2 nd to Asia, what have we found to import raw pictures. Using the Ipad
    I have been waiting for one, hope one has surfaced by now.
    Anyone?
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scargos2 View Post
    I am leaving nov 2 nd to Asia, what have we found to import raw pictures. Using the Ipad
    Anyone?
    You don't need any special app if your camera is "known" by the OS

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a non SD card like my older 5D CF card, use the micro USB cable that came with the camera and use that with the 2nd Camera Connector with the USB connection.

Perhaps you are hoping for an app that will convert RAWs. That won't happen I don't think. The Ipad will show the embedded jpeg from the RAW though the RAW is imported. I would still recommend that you carry enough memory to use the Ipad only for backup and store all your files on the cards until you get back. View the images on the Ipad. They look great and there are 2 apps that are very nice to process and mail, send to facebook or flickr---Filterstorm, my favorite, and Photogene.

Have a wonderful trip and share your images.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone?
    HI There Scargos2
    As others say, the iPad won't decode RAW files - period. Don't expect to do any processing on your images while you're away . . . at least, not more than for emailing purposes.

However - I've used mine on three recent trips, and it makes a fine backup, and it's very good for deleting the crap while your away.

I don't know what camera you use, but you should try doing an import (either with the camera connector and SD card, or the camera connector USB adaptor and a card reader).

Most cameras have good enough jpg files (around 2mb) embedded in the RAW files, but some cameras DO NOT - notably the M9. The easy way is to shoot a few RAW files, import to the ipad, and check them on screen - if they're horribly blurry, then you need to shoot RAW+JPG - a pain, but the iPad handles it really well: it only shows the jpg, and if you delete it, it deletes both.

So you upload your shots to the ipad at the end of the day, and spend a happy hour in the bar wondering at what a fine photographer you are - if there is anything you need to delete, then it will delete both the RAW and JPG.

When you get home you can either plug in the iPad and import, or use the Image Capture Application to download the files to a particular folder - I prefer this, as Aperture and iPhoto have a habit of making a new folder / project for each day.

I hope this helps
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't need any special app if your camera is "known" by the OS
    Hi Terry
    I don't think the camera needs to be Known at all. When we were in Venice I was importing the A33 files (which are not known); the iPad handled it just fine. I think it can extract the jpg out of most RAW files - but I don't think it can do any demosaicing with any RAW files.
    The crucial issue is to check whether the embedded jpg is big enough - if it isn't (the M9 is not) then you need to shoot RAW+JPG - or you get nasty blurry pixilated images on the ipad.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, don't you find all the other embedded jpegs large enough? That was the advice I gave to someone on another forum-- that the only camera I was aware of that needed RAW+jpeg was the M9, but then I'm just dealing with Canon and Panny files.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Jono, don't you find all the other embedded jpegs large enough? That was the advice I gave to someone on another forum-- that the only camera I was aware of that needed RAW+jpeg was the M9, but then I'm just dealing with Canon and Panny files.
    HI Diane
    Well, it's certainly okay for all my other cameras . . .erm. . . Sony A55 Sony A900 . . but I think it's pretty important to check first to avoid irritation - I'm sure I've seen someone else mention another camera.

Anyway, no harm to check, and easy enough to shoot both if in doubt.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono great news that the iPad took the Sony files. I figured it would be more like the regular OS where they need camera support.

meilicke

Can anyone recommend a good flickr app for the phone and iPad? It does not have to be the same app for both. I have the yahoo/flickr free app, but it does not have an iPad mode, and it is just OK.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Flickr Stackr, which I like but others don't.
    Maybe their is a trial version.
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono great news that the iPad took the Sony files. I figured it would be more like the regular OS where they need camera support.
    No - they're fine - just wish they'd get their act together with RAW support for Aperture. I tried DNG converter, but the files were not as good as the jpgs for some reason (in Aperture that is) even though they certainly worked okay

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Leica M8, no jpeg files. So it looks like I can not use My Ipad to down load a raw file. Too bad. Well it,s look like I will have to wait until I get home, to see and or email a photo.
    Thanks everyone for your impute.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Sure you can. All you need ti do is shoot RAW + jpeg to have a nice size jpeg to view. You'll just have both the RAW file plus a jpeg whereas the RAWs of other cameras have large enough embedded jpegs IN the RAW so they don't have to add another jpeg. Oh, maybe you mean that the M8 doesn't allow you to add a jpeg. If you havef the camera connector just try it and see hiw the jpeg is for resolution. Regardless, you should be able to dl the RAWs for backup but the image you see may not be as good as it could be resolution wise.

Diane

[QUOTE=Scargos2;257912]I have a Leica M8, no jpeg files. So it looks like I can not use My Ipad to down load a raw file. Too bad. Well it,s look like I will have to wait until I get home, to see and or email a photo.
    Rick[/QUOTE]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Leica M8, no jpeg files. So it looks like I can not use My Ipad to down load a raw file. Too bad. Well it,s look like I will have to wait until I get home, to see and or email a photo.
    Rick
    HI Rick
    Diane has it - you'll need to shoot RAW+jpg - it works well, and the ipad treats the pair as one file.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops I goofed, the, M8 will shoot in raw and jpeg. I should look before I jump. Red faced
    Rick!