Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iPad Apps

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: iPad Apps

Folks,

I'm looking around at portfolio apps to place a portfolio of images on the iPad... Does anyone have recommendations for two software packages

1. An app that is effectively an excellent portfolio program (that is very user-designed) and can be employed for a fine-art photographer.

2. A software program to develop an app to take a portfolio and turn it into an app for the iPad or possibly also for download to a pc or Mac (more like a slideshow)?

There's lots of good apps that may qualify for question #1, but precious little that i have found discussing the merits of one vs. the other.

#2 seems like a more difficult problem other than web development tools, if they have the proper coding for the iPad.

Thanks,

---michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Hi: I do this for photographers, see my recent article in PDN magazine.... PM me for details.....

-Josef
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Skye Tornick

Post Thanks / Like

RAW Software for the iPad:

http://pirawnha.com/

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone that takes a lot of handwritten notes or fills out forms, Note Taker HD is outstanding. I came upon it by accident and found there are lots of Youtube overviews, demos since it has a bit of a learning curve. Integrated with Evernote for backup, saving as PDF, many tools. Highly recommended.

Good review. http://appsforipads.net/ipad-product...-note-taker-hd

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using FolioBook and have been very pleased. I currently have three portfolios set up using this App. I create my albums in iPhoto after working the images up in LR/PS to 1024 on the long side. Within iPhoto I can sort the images in the order I want (much easier than doing it within the FoilioBook App) and this order is conserved when I load the Album into FolioBook as a Gallery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the pointer on foliobook. I'll look into it a bit.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know a good slideshow app for the iPad since the one built in does not allow images uploaded from Aperture 3/iPhoto to be played based on the file name, instead of date captured?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    Folks,

I'm looking around at portfolio apps to place a portfolio of images on the iPad... Does anyone have recommendations for two software packages

1. An app that is effectively an excellent portfolio program (that is very user-designed) and can be employed for a fine-art photographer.

2. A software program to develop an app to take a portfolio and turn it into an app for the iPad or possibly also for download to a pc or Mac (more like a slideshow)?

There's lots of good apps that may qualify for question #1, but precious little that i have found discussing the merits of one vs. the other.

#2 seems like a more difficult problem other than web development tools, if they have the proper coding for the iPad.

Thanks,

---michael
    Have you checked this:

http://ipadportfolioapp.com/

and this

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitalpublishing/

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-pu...ion-from-adobe

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-pu...gle-page-issue

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/digital-pu...age-page-issue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    Does anyone know a good slideshow app for the iPad since the one built in does not allow images uploaded from Aperture 3/iPhoto to be played based on the file name, instead of date captured?
    Not a slide shiw app per se but Reel Director which is primarily a video app allows yu to set it up exactly as you wish. Works fine for just slide show.

Two other apps I like have slideshow option also. Collections and Photosort. All 3 allow you to set photos exactly as you wish.

Post Thanks / Like

The ones I find myself using again and again are:

1. Flipboard
    2. Airvideo
    3. Netflix
    4. Pandora
    5. Dropbox
    6. Instapaper
    7. Evernote
    8. Twitter
    9. Tripadvisor
    10. I havent tried Uwe's tool - but have a feeling that it may be on my list soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Mjm6

We put up an app that could easily be converted into a porfolio too, in fact we are sort using it as such. Ours also has text and video, but if you play with the pics you can get an idea. It is free and in iTunes. It is: profile 5 magazine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Test drive report on OverDrive and Bluefire Reader apps:

Although the OverDrive app is only an iPhone version, that doesn't matter as it opens your browser as soon as you select your library. Then you can browse for books, and download them to your iPad. My library allows up to three books at a time, but you can "return" them from your iPad when you're done with them.

When the book is downloaded, you're asked where you want to read it, with Bluefire Reader one option. Click, and choose "read now," or "read later," and you've got your book. A really nice feature of Bluefire Reader is the option to read white text on a black background. Much better for reading in a dark room, and it probably uses less power as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Softbox Pro for iPad... maybe usefull...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/softb...ad/id415056105

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Library book update: I logged onto my local library's web page using Safari on the iPad, checked out a book, and downloaded it. Up popped the Open in box with Bluefire as an option. Clicked, and got the Read Now box, and there it was. Didn't use Overdrive at all (unless it was doing something in the background).

Very cool, and easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, here is a free app. I don't know how useful it would be to a lot of us but I had to try it. Whistlephone, wifi free calls to anywhere in US and very cheap rates to anywhere in world and I think free TO US from rest of world. I just called friend who I had been doing printscreen tute with this morning and called from the Ipad while I was working with app she was having probkem with. Nice and clear from both ends without external mic. Doesn't have to be user to user like Skype.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    I haven't used it on an iPad yet, but I do my slide shows with Keynote on the desktop. Are Keynote files from the desktop transferable to and useable on the iPad?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are, but dumbed-down versions (some effects don't translate), and you are memory constrained, so presentations need to be kept short.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little bit ago I asked about readers for RSS feeds. I solved it differently and so far so good. I opened a twitter account and now follow all the the websites that were on my previous RSS program. All of the tweets include the web page link and on the iPad Twitterific simply will pull up the webpage without having to leave the application.

I think the NYT must tweet every article they print. I guess it can get annoying but I've read a lot more interesting, sometimes offbeat, NYT articles in the last few days than I've read in a couple of years and that is a good thing.

I do have a couple of macs in the apartment and and the notification sound turned on so it does sound like I'm in the rainforest with frequent tweets....but still better than a koo koo clock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    A little bit ago I asked about readers for RSS feeds. I solved it differently and so far so good. I opened a twitter account and now follow all the the websites that were on my previous RSS program. All of the tweets include the web page link and on the iPad Twitterific simply will pull up the webpage without having to leave the application.

I think the NYT must tweet every article they print. I guess it can get annoying but I've read a lot more interesting, sometimes offbeat, NYT articles in the last few days than I've read in a couple of years and that is a good thing.

I do have a couple of macs in the apartment and and the notification sound turned on so it does sound like I'm in the rainforest with frequent tweets....but still better than a koo koo clock.
    Terry

I hate koo koo clocks too , but their sound or noise , I think , is far better than getting tyrannized by notifications from RSS feeds , facebook , youtube , twitter and all the so called modern media .
    I want to control what media I use and I hate when media control me .
    And I can live very well without all that stuff . Way toooooooo much communication .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The New York Public Library has created Biblion, an app that accesses their great collection. Still downloading, 45 minutes to go, but it looks worth a try. See http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...future/239107/

The first edition deals with the 1939 New York World's Fair.

It's free. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nypl-...?mt=8&ls=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    The New York Public Library has created Biblion, an app that accesses their great collection. Still downloading, 45 minutes to go, but it looks worth a try. See http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...future/239107/

The first edition deals with the 1939 New York World's Fair.

It's free. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nypl-...?mt=8&ls=1
    Terrific. Enjoying just starting through it---- lots of content. My DL only took a few minutes though--* Thanks for the link.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to share, I LOVE SNAPSEED

Made by NIK software.
    Get it
    My Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Been playing with Zite recently. Nice personalized web-zine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OlliL View Post
    Just wanted to share, I LOVE SNAPSEED

Made by NIK software.
    Get it
    +1 I bought it the day I got the email from Nik. Enjoying it. Its a nice adjunct to Filterstorm and Photogene.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful, not to go crazy with it

old timer von oliverleschke auf Flickr
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Opera has released an iPad version of its browser. It seems to be faster than the others I've used, and is free.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. i've been using Atomic or Icab with tabbing and they both seem faster than Safari but I'll check this one out also.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Snap seed is indeed quite a nice image processor!

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5
    ISO 1000 @ f/3.2 @ 1/50 second
    Processed in Snapseed on iPad 2

This one is an experiment this morning shooting with the GXR and doing all processing, etc, on the iPad while at the cafe. A little different from my usual workflow...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I downloaded and played a bit with Snapseed. I like it as well. Interesting I used to like Photogene and they've added so much stuff it isn't as intuitive anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Snap seed is indeed quite a nice image processor!

Ricoh GXR + A12 50mm f/2.5
    ISO 1000 @ f/3.2 @ 1/50 second
    Processed in Snapseed on iPad 2

This one is an experiment this morning shooting with the GXR and doing all processing, etc, on the iPad while at the cafe. A little different from my usual workflow...
    Nice Godfrey. i like Snapseed quite a lot too. I used both Photogene and Filterstorm (which has masking) but am using this more.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded and played a bit with Snapseed. I like it as well. Interesting I used to like Photogene and they've added so much stuff it isn't as intuitive anymore.
    PhotoGene does some things that are great, but what was making me a little crazy with it was trying to rotate an image precisely. As soon as I lifted my finger, the setting I reached jumped somewhere. Snapseed has a much better UI and does a lot of stuff well ... but not everything.

Not that I'm thinking of doing major image processing work on the iPad, but it's nice to have decent tools for when it is useful. At least these apps are pretty inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the rotation in Photogene and having good tools on Ipad at times--esp when traveling. Also agree about the inexpensiveness of them. Think what the Nik plugins for PS cost.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bamboo Paper by Wacom

Wacom has made what feels like a pre-release of their "Bamboo Paper" ink app available free until the end of the month. They're doing it, I'm sure, to get feedback, get people excited about it, and promote their high-end stylus, but you don't really need the stylus to use it.

It's a simplistic app but the pen-and-ink feel is about the best I've found so far. Very smooth and easy to draw and write with. I'm quite taken with using it and will likely go for one of the stylus too ... so the Capitalist Bastids have succeeded. ;-)

I sent in my feedback and hope that the for-pay version of the app adds the three or four small improvements I suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

For space junkies

The NASA Ipad app has streaming of space launch today for those interested. You can watch on TV but if you are working this is great way to keep up with it.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm about to try out this new App. It could be pretty cool

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-conv...447444215?mt=8

or read here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/12/tuaws...pdf-converter/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, an interactive book. I doubt that I'll buy this, but thought others might. Clearly something kids would enjoy.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-f...438052647?mt=8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks like a good list of Apps for photographers

http://www.marcoryanphotography.com/...-photographer/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm about to try out this new App. It could be pretty cool

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-conv...447444215?mt=8

or read here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/12/tuaws...pdf-converter/
    That looks great, going to try it.

I installed "Clean Writer" two days ago. Very simple, minimalistic editing program ... Just for writing. Like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

I love PDF converter linked to by Terri a few days ago (in reference to Godfrey's post above). I've used it several times and find it just great in combo with Goodreader--or Ibooks, though I usually like Goodreader because I can make notes, underline, etc.

Another very straightforward minimalistic writing app is Plain Text and it is uploadable to Dropbox. Any app that allows Dropbox gets a plus from me.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I love PDF converter linked to by Terri a few days ago (in reference to Godfrey's post above). I've used it several times and find it just great in combo with Goodreader--or Ibooks, though I usually like Goodreader because I can make notes, underline, etc.

Another very straightforward minimalistic writing app is Plain Text and it is uploadable to Dropbox. Any app that allows Dropbox gets a plus from me.

Diane
    I believe Clean Writer also allows DropBox access. Just haven't used that yet.

Post Thanks / Like

That would make sense for any writing app. Checked and it is integrated with Dropbox.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very happy with the Notebooks app, which interfaces with Scrivener (Mac & PC), which is a writer's dream word processor.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    ... Another very straightforward minimalistic writing app is Plain Text and it is uploadable to Dropbox. Any app that allows Dropbox gets a plus from me.
    Just wanted to say thank you for mentioning this one, Diane. Clean Writer was good, but when I went to test the DropBox integration, it proves to be broken and the author seems totally unresponsive to my queries.

Plain Text works very nicely, I'm using it a lot. Only thing that was a little annoying is that you DL the "free" app and then have to pay $2 to kill the annoying advertising. I'd rather it was just offered up front for $2 without the advertising. I guess we can think of it as an eval copy with a payment after you find it useful, but frankly if I'm looking for a minimalistic editor, having advertising at the bottom of my field of view ruins it so much that I can't evaluate it that way.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not an app but a piece of hardware ... I bought a Griffin stylus for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch so that I could use ink and sketch applications more effectively. It allows me to write and draw much more fluidly than I can do with my finger ... and there are times where being able to jot a note down with a pen is simply the fastest and easiest way for me to get something out of my head and recorded.

I actually bought both the Wacom Bamboo stylus and the Griffin as I didn't know which one I'd like more. The Wacom is a little better weighted and a little longer, but I didn't like the feel of its tip as much as the Griffin. The Griffin is also about $10 cheaper.

(No need to return the Bamboo ... a friend of mine tried it and loved it, so he bought it for what I paid. Happy when that happens. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 3m smart pen, which is also very good and cheap, compared to the others.
    Only flaw was, that it was only directly available from Korea and took some time to arrive.
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I had a different one to begin with last year, maybe Pogo, and have a couple of Targus which I think are the same as Griffin. Lost the Pogo somewhere. I use it in several apps but my favorite for day in,day out usefulness is Noteshelf which just had a major upgrade.

Actually the stylus has no name so it could be Griffin since I bought them at BB and they carry both mfg. for various Ipad accessories.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would mention this app, Notability. Its the best note app I've found and I've tried quite a few. You can mix text, handwriting, audio, import and annotate PDFs, embed photos, backup to Dropbox and more. Its pretty user friendly too, Its on sale now for $.99 and I think this is for a very short time. Its normally $4.99.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

the best note app I've found is catch -go to catch.com

Post Thanks / Like

Avid Studio released their video editor today for intro $4.99 going up to $7.99. I bought it but it isn't good on Ipad 1 (crashes when rendering even after soft reset)---64GB wifi with 40% free, IOS 5.0.1. Since I plan to buy Ipad 3 I thought I would take advantage of intro price. I had used Reel Director or Editor and this is much better, polished for Ipad. Its enough for my feeble attempts at video LOL and nicer than sitting in front of the monitor as I do with stills. Nice drag and drop, etc as expected for Ipad.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone using Pbase, I discovered tonight there is an upload app for Pbase. Usually I upload from Lightroom but nice to know I can upload to both Pbase and Flickr from Ipad if I choose. Nice for travel.