Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: iPad Apps

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPad Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Thought I would mention this app, Notability. Its the best note app I've found and I've tried quite a few. You can mix text, handwriting, audio, import and annotate PDFs, embed photos, backup to Dropbox and more. Its pretty user friendly too, Its on sale now for $.99 and I think this is for a very short time. Its normally $4.99.
    Saw it for $.99 again today so I'll give it a try. I use the iPad for a LOT of note taking stuff.

update: I bought one of the Pogo Sketch Pro pens and it is a little nicer in the hand than the Griffin. However, I use the Griffin more still because it has a clip ... the Pogo does not and I'll lose it eventually, so it stays on my desk at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Saw it for $.99 again today so I'll give it a try. I use the iPad for a LOT of note taking stuff.

update: I bought one of the Pogo Sketch Pro pens and it is a little nicer in the hand than the Griffin. However, I use the Griffin more still because it has a clip ... the Pogo does not and I'll lose it eventually, so it stays on my desk at home.
    I use Notability for a lot more than I anticipated.

On styluses--look at Adonit's Jot. I bought it through Kickstarter and absolutely love it (I have a Pogo and Griffin too but don't use them at all now). They've just come out with the Jot Mini with a clip on it so I'll buy another. Its totally different than any other stylus out there--very fine writing or width depending on the app, any thickness, opacity, etc you want) and you can see the point so it feels exactly like using a ball point. I now use the Ipad just as I would a regular paper tablet or journal or notebook.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is also another pen just about to come out through Kickstarter. However it uses a completely different technology. I should have it in the next couple of weeks and will report back in.

iPen: the first active stylus for iPad! by Cregle Inc. — Kickstarter

Post Thanks / Like

Saw that one too. It appears terrific especially for drawing.

Post Thanks / Like

Apple released iPhoto for iPad. My first look:

iPhoto for iPad

Does anybody else get these disturbing "Updating Photo Library" dialogs?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe, I still have Ipad 1 but have "new" Ipad preordered and due for delivery the 16th. I was especially interested in this app so glad you have put up your first impression. Have you also tried the new Photoshop app too??

Edit: Just read your review. Thank you. Do you think the updating may be related to Photostream?? I know even on the 1 I would see a delay as it would add to it. I have my Photostream turned off for now since I only want my saved images in it and was waiting for 5.1 to selectively delete. I noticed you hadn't figured out how yet. I haven't had time to upgrade to 5.1 so haven't tried it of course.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

iPad advice for newbie

I'm getting a 64GB, WiFi, Verizon 4G iPad "3rd generation" tomorrow. I have no experience with an iPad, and don't even have a smart phone. (Reception here in the New Hampshire woods has been zero bars until recently.) But, I do have a couple of Macs and PCs and an IQ-160 back. Is there anything that I should and should not do, right out of the box? Any worthwhile apps to download, shortcuts, workarounds, good/bad practices, avoidances, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, gosh. There are so many apps that are worthwhile and helpful but it is going to depend upon what you want to do. OTOH, its also rather hard to imagine what you will do with it until you get started. Two apps I suggest most everyone own is Goodreader which is a good way to organize PDFs, Epubs, some photos maybe, docs, etc. There is SO much you can do with the app--explore that one. The other which is free is Dropbox. You will need to also install it on your computers but you can easily move files and photos back and forth between all of them, back up data and be able to access the same data from any device. Very useful.

I just added the Ipad 3 64GB Verizon after having had an Ipad one 64GB wifi only for almost two years. I opted for the smallest amount of data (1 GB) since we have so much free wifi available around here (western NC but specifically my small city) but I dled an app to monitor my data usage since I will change it month to month when traveling.

You will get lots of suggestions but it is hard to suggest until you give some indication what you might want to do with it. Its for fun but for lots more too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    ...it is hard to suggest until you give some indication what you might want to do with it. Its for fun but for lots more too.
    Odd path to this point... For the past four months, my DSL has deteriorated to being out of service almost as often as it is in service, and the best speed I can get is about double dial-up. Last week they told me they were aware of the problem, but they had no idea how long it would take for them to make the equipment updates needed. One of my sidelines is website development and publishing!!! I had to find an alternative. Coincidentally, my cell reception for the past month has increased all the way up to two bars so I figured I could use that as backup with the iPad... and I could take advantage of 4G during my frequent Boston visits. And, besides... "everyone" at the gallery has some flavor of tablet. .

At a restaurant I saw a guy showing some gorgeous images on his new iPad. He said he shot them with the iPad. Sold!

My iPad focus is mostly photography, but also text (BBEdit?) and as much of my "MacBook Pro" that I can cram onto it. I know it's blasphemous, but the "entertainment" aspect is lowest priority for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPad advice for newbie

Some cool new styli available, but I'm happy with the ones I have for the moment. iPhoto and Photoshop on the iPad have little appeal to me, for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    I'm getting a 64GB, WiFi, Verizon 4G iPad "3rd generation" tomorrow. I have no experience with an iPad, and don't even have a smart phone. (Reception here in the New Hampshire woods has been zero bars until recently.) But, I do have a couple of Macs and PCs and an IQ-160 back. Is there anything that I should and should not do, right out of the box? Any worthwhile apps to download, shortcuts, workarounds, good/bad practices, avoidances, etc.?
    What do I use a lot? In no particular order ...

- Dropbox - file moving and sharing
    - PlainText - simple text editing, works beautifully with Dropbox
    - Pages - formatted word processing
    - Keynote - presentation, display of photos, etc
    - Notability - note taking, sketching, etc
    - PenUltimate - sketching, hand-written notes
    - Skype - alternative phone via internet
    - Kindle - reader app
    - Clock Pro - lots of great clocks and timers
    - StockTouch - checking stock market stuff
    - Calculator LCD - every computer should have a calculator on hand
    - Flipboard - social networking/news aggregator
    - NPR - NPR news feeder
    - FeeddlerPro - RSS feed aggregator
    - The Weather Channel - you guessed it
    - AP Mobile - Associated Press news feed
    - NetFlix - (if you have an account there, of course)
    - Snapseed, Photogene, PhotoRAW - image processing
    - Photosmith - sort, grade, keyword images (if you use Lightroom)
    - PDF Expert - PDF reader and annotation
    - GoodReader - PDF lots of stuff (I don't find myself using it as much as others do)
    - IMDb - International Movie Database access

I have a couple of games too, mostly I play Scrabble and occasionally Zen Bound 2.

I've been using the iPad 2 for a year and this is what is working for me now. It's a journey of discovery ... It's a fantastic computer, but not a laptop or desktop system. It is it's own thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I would concur with Godfrey on most of these. I"d suggest looking at Noteshelf also. It really has the smoothest handwriting of any of similar apps and I use it and Notability a bit differently. I'd add Filterstorm to the photo apps--its PS like with layers if you like and a lot more. Phraseology is another to consider with Simplenote. To be truthful I try to use apps that are integrated or sync with Dropbox. For almost two years I've used Office2 HD for my office suite and I still like it but after repeated requests to the developer for syncing to Dropbox (it is integrated but doesn't automatically sync) and it not happening I bought Quickoffice which works very well.

There are many more apps, easy utility ones and more complex with specific uses. Ask as you find a need and I bet someone here will have some advice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you use twitter best twitter client that I've found is Tweetbot.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a stylus with your ipad, do you need a screen protector or are they gentle enough without one?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a stylus with my Ipad one for almost two years every day without a screen protector and am using one with my Ipad 3 without protector. I have several--a Pogo (I think), one I bought from Best Buy, maybe a Griffin, but my favorite is a Jot from Adonit which is quite different and is like writing with a ball point pen.
    http://adonit.net/product/jot/
    I use it with Noteshelf, Notability and Goodreader. Terry has a new stylus--don't know the name and its also quite different.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    If you use a stylus with your ipad, do you need a screen protector or are they gentle enough without one?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toobacat View Post
    The iPad display, like the iPhone, is made of gorilla glass and *extremely* durable. The available styli are all soft-tips and simply cannot scratch it at all.

I've dropped hard, sharp things on the iPad and thought, "Oh my gosh, there's gonna be a big scratch from that surely!" and then just buffed it off ... not a mark. Gorilla glass is just amazing stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Diane and Godfrey for your thoughtful responses! I really appreciate it.

Just one problem... I need to get some sleep!! This iPad is so addictive! I've even pushed aside doing my taxes, can you believe.

I am blown away by all of the beautifully designed and well thought-out apps that I've downloaded for $0 to $3. Notability and Noteshelf are indeed different AND similar to each other, and both are incredible. I've been a Dropbox fan for about a year and use it every day, and any software that incorporates it gets my full attention right off the bat. Wouldn't it be ideal if Noteshelf and Notability merged?

Skype makes the iPad a smartphone on steroids! Handy to have.

Of course the incredible display is everything it's cracked up to be. My images have never looked so good!

And... my primary purpose for the Wi-Fi/4G version was the Personal Hotspot for when my DSL goes down. Tried it today and it worked like a charm! Worth the price right there, for me.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought Notability and I ordered a Jot mini stylus. After a year, I'm finally learning how to use my ipad. My warranty runs out in a few days, so I think I'm going to purchase the AppleCare extended warranty. I don't usually purchase extended warranties, but I've heard that Apple repairs can be very expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just purchased the new Ipad, my first tablet of any kind, and I have to admit I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the whole tablet experience.

But there are two apps that I've downloaded that are worth a look.

Zinio for the Ipad, from Zinio.com, was the main reason I purchased a tablet. It provides access to digital subscriptions for several hundred magazines. Their latest update has improved the speed of page rendering. It's actually faster than page rendering with Apple's ibook app.

MotionX-GPS Drive HD, from the App Store. For $2.99 it's a pretty good GPS. Turn by turn voice guidance costs $9.99 per year right now.

It does have some restrictions that I don't care for though. The maps are not pre-loaded to the Ipad, but are downloaded on the fly along your route through the 4G connection. It's fast and quite accurate.
    You CAN preload a trip map through the WiFi, but it will only download a fairly narrow swath along your route. If you stray from your route, you're basically "off the grid" unless you backtrack, or turn on your 4G. And you can NOT use the same pre-loaded map to retrace your route back. So, if you preload a trip from A to B, you also have to preload a trip from B to A.
    And preloading a long trip route is painfully slow.

The gps chip in the 4G version of the Ipad locks on very quickly, much faster than my aging Garmin unit.

If you have a data plan with unlimited data download, this app is great.

cheers.... Santo

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Santo,

A tutorial for the most useful app is here - So dad, how do you like the iPad we got you? [VIDEO]

Best wishes,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raywest View Post
    Hi Santo,

A tutorial for the most useful app is here - So dad, how do you like the iPad we got you? [VIDEO]

Best wishes,

Ray
    Thanks Ray, best laugh I've had in a long time. I'll be sending this to my IPad addicted friends.

Cheers,
    Santo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

that still gives me a chuckle. :-)
    i often use mine as a lunch tray ... !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    that still gives me a chuckle. :-)
    i often use mine as a lunch tray ... !
    I don't actually know if anyone would be willing to try it with an ipad, but I used to clean pc keyboards (when they cost more than a few quid) by putting them in a dishwasher - and then I had to wait a week for them to dry out.

Best wishes,
    Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know whether it's been mentioned before, but Air Display is an app that allows an iPad or iPhone to become a second, wireless display - an extension of the host computer's desktop.

It is handy, extends the usefulness of the iPad AND your laptop very nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've used Teamviewer several times on my laptop to access my desktop machine from another city. Once getting past the nonintuitive (to me) user interface, it worked well enough. Now that I'm addic... I mean using... my iPad, I tried the Teamview app. It just did not work nearly as well as with the laptop.

Looking for an alternative, I tried LogMein (log me in). Huge difference! Easy interface, well designed and quick. I even caught a typo on one of my websites, opened BBEdit on my desktop, via my iPad, and made the correction on the spot. I can't wait to give Photoshop a whirl.

I'm using the free version of LogMein that includes all the bells and whistles of the paid version for 14 days. The paid version includes file transfers, but think I'm already covered with DropBox for iPad. I'll have check into that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not an app, a case, I picked up a Targus Slim Case for the new iPad when they first came out. It's a folio type case with cut outs for everything except the sim card opening. It even has a cut out for the Apple logo on the back. I don't see any impact on the wifi or 4g signal.
    The exterior feels like Oxford broadcloth and the interior like brushed cotton ....really nice
    The only downside is that the magnetic on/off doesn't work on the early shipments. Check before buying if you're tempted.
    Cheers
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Targus Vuescape and like it a lot. Its a sturdier, better looking and a bit better functionally than the original Apple case for Ipad One. It has 4 viewing angles and covers every need I have from typing on screen to standing tallish for using BT keyboard. Its also quite nice in 4th angle for sitting in lap for reading hands free which I did before with Propup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will be a lot of fun...

Foldify

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My latest favorite drawing, sketching app has become Paper by Fifty-Three.

Foldify looks like fun too!
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Acquired an iPad mini yesterday ... just the base model for the moment. I will use it to check out whether the smaller, lighter form factor unit is suitable for my needs. If it is, I'll buy the full fledged 64G with cellular.

So far, I'm liking it a lot. WiFi performance improved, and the data rate with the Camera Connection Kit seems slightly better than the iPad 2. (The 30-pin to Lightning adapter works perfectly.) And of course all of my current apps run perfectly on it too. Having Siri and Speech-to-Text capability is another bonus.

Fun stuff.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Follow up...

I took the iPad 2 on my trip to Tijuana as it has the cellular, which I needed. Wish the mini did! This little machine is terrific, and much, much less to carry. The screen is fine for viewing pix or reading, and it's much more hand-holdable than the standard iPad size and weight.

I found a case for it ... The Moshi Versacover. Translucent plastic protection for the body of the iPad with a flexy magnetic cover that is designed to fold into both horizontal and vertical orientation stands. It's like the Apple SmartCover with body protection and a more versatile cover flap, keeps the mini small and light but with good protection. (I see Moshe makes the versacover for the regular size iPads too now...)

So far, very pleased. I'll likely order a mini with full kit memory and cellular soon. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Photographer's Ephemeris

I found this app very handy on a recent trip to the Colorado plateau....

The Photographer's Ephemeris

Cheers
    Santo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not an app but a new iPad ...

I've had a minimum configuration iPad mini (WiFi only, 16G) to use since the holidays, been testing mostly to see if it is sufficient for my needs. Turns out to be a better device for my needs than my existing iPad 2 and subsequent full size models, mostly due to the smaller size. I need more storage and the cellular interface, so I ordered the 64G model with cellular model.

Fun fun..