The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

DavidE

I've found an expensive iPad app that lets you display and arrange your photos in any order.

You can load them in from a stored iPad photo album or bring them in through iTunes. I especially like that you can arrange the photos by rows and columns, and then swipe up, down, and sideways to reach them when in display mode. I have my landscape- and portrait-oriented photos in separate columns, so I don't have to constantly reorient the iPad when showing them.

The app is titled Minimal Folio. Here's a link to the iTunes description page: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minimal-folio/id385429744?mt=8.

DavidE

Oops, I meant to say "inexpensive" not "expensive" in the previous message. Minimal Folio is only $2.99.

Terry

I downloaded Touch Up a new photo editing app ($3) for the iPad. Seems pretty good so far. I like the dodge and burn tools ($1.99 in app purchase). For dodge and burn you "paint" in the areas with your fingers.

MoJo

Registred Users
New Fine-Art Photo Apps!

Just an announcement that my 2nd photo app for the IPad is now available on ITunes. I just had a 3 page article on my "Magical IPad Apps" in the current PDN magazine!!!! My 1 month of fame :)

This one is called "Magical Pony Faire", and is about the Connemara Ponies and Shows in Western Ireland. I have added "pinch-zooming" to it, tell me what you think!

It can be previewed at http://tiny.cc/wpmii

I am now making these as a service for other photographers also..... I just love the IPad etc. for showing my work to people (as long as it is not in bright sun ;-)

Diane B

Thought I'd mention a little app for notetaking which I do a lot. I've tried several. The Smartnote is great for creating notebooks and I have used it a lot but it gets too fiddly to use efficiently for me to use for notetaking Noteshelf is great for handwritten notes--really nice and smooth like 'regular' writing. But--I like to mix handwritten and text and like options. I saw recommendations for Notes Plus and this is a great little app. It misses a few things but they are in his radar to add in upgrades--like Dropbox (which I use all the time in quite a few apps). I got it on sale this past weekend so don't know if its still on sale but for notetaking (be sure and read the guide to understand, but once you do its easy to use) its the best I've found.

Diane

Scargos2

I am leaving nov 2 nd to Asia, what have we found to import raw pictures. Using the Ipad
I have been waiting for one, hope one has surfaced by now.
Anyone?

Terry

I am leaving nov 2 nd to Asia, what have we found to import raw pictures. Using the Ipad
Anyone?
You don't need any special app if your camera is "known" by the OS

Diane B

If you have a non SD card like my older 5D CF card, use the micro USB cable that came with the camera and use that with the 2nd Camera Connector with the USB connection.

Perhaps you are hoping for an app that will convert RAWs. That won't happen I don't think. The Ipad will show the embedded jpeg from the RAW though the RAW is imported. I would still recommend that you carry enough memory to use the Ipad only for backup and store all your files on the cards until you get back. View the images on the Ipad. They look great and there are 2 apps that are very nice to process and mail, send to facebook or flickr---Filterstorm, my favorite, and Photogene.

Have a wonderful trip and share your images.

Diane

jonoslack

Anyone?
HI There Scargos2
As others say, the iPad won't decode RAW files - period. Don't expect to do any processing on your images while you're away . . . at least, not more than for emailing purposes.

However - I've used mine on three recent trips, and it makes a fine backup, and it's very good for deleting the crap while your away.

I don't know what camera you use, but you should try doing an import (either with the camera connector and SD card, or the camera connector USB adaptor and a card reader).

Most cameras have good enough jpg files (around 2mb) embedded in the RAW files, but some cameras DO NOT - notably the M9. The easy way is to shoot a few RAW files, import to the ipad, and check them on screen - if they're horribly blurry, then you need to shoot RAW+JPG - a pain, but the iPad handles it really well: it only shows the jpg, and if you delete it, it deletes both.

So you upload your shots to the ipad at the end of the day, and spend a happy hour in the bar wondering at what a fine photographer you are - if there is anything you need to delete, then it will delete both the RAW and JPG.

When you get home you can either plug in the iPad and import, or use the Image Capture Application to download the files to a particular folder - I prefer this, as Aperture and iPhoto have a habit of making a new folder / project for each day.

I hope this helps
all the best

jonoslack

You don't need any special app if your camera is "known" by the OS
Hi Terry
I don't think the camera needs to be Known at all. When we were in Venice I was importing the A33 files (which are not known); the iPad handled it just fine. I think it can extract the jpg out of most RAW files - but I don't think it can do any demosaicing with any RAW files.
The crucial issue is to check whether the embedded jpg is big enough - if it isn't (the M9 is not) then you need to shoot RAW+JPG - or you get nasty blurry pixilated images on the ipad.

Diane B

Jono, don't you find all the other embedded jpegs large enough? That was the advice I gave to someone on another forum-- that the only camera I was aware of that needed RAW+jpeg was the M9, but then I'm just dealing with Canon and Panny files.

jonoslack

Jono, don't you find all the other embedded jpegs large enough? That was the advice I gave to someone on another forum-- that the only camera I was aware of that needed RAW+jpeg was the M9, but then I'm just dealing with Canon and Panny files.
HI Diane
Well, it's certainly okay for all my other cameras . . .erm. . . Sony A55 Sony A900 . . but I think it's pretty important to check first to avoid irritation - I'm sure I've seen someone else mention another camera.

Anyway, no harm to check, and easy enough to shoot both if in doubt.

Terry

Jono great news that the iPad took the Sony files. I figured it would be more like the regular OS where they need camera support.

M

meilicke

Can anyone recommend a good flickr app for the phone and iPad? It does not have to be the same app for both. I have the yahoo/flickr free app, but it does not have an iPad mode, and it is just OK.

Thanks.

jonoslack

Jono great news that the iPad took the Sony files. I figured it would be more like the regular OS where they need camera support.
No - they're fine - just wish they'd get their act together with RAW support for Aperture. I tried DNG converter, but the files were not as good as the jpgs for some reason (in Aperture that is) even though they certainly worked okay

all the best

Scargos2

I have a Leica M8, no jpeg files. So it looks like I can not use My Ipad to down load a raw file. Too bad. Well it,s look like I will have to wait until I get home, to see and or email a photo.
Thanks everyone for your impute.
Rick

Diane B

Sure you can. All you need ti do is shoot RAW + jpeg to have a nice size jpeg to view. You'll just have both the RAW file plus a jpeg whereas the RAWs of other cameras have large enough embedded jpegs IN the RAW so they don't have to add another jpeg. Oh, maybe you mean that the M8 doesn't allow you to add a jpeg. If you havef the camera connector just try it and see hiw the jpeg is for resolution. Regardless, you should be able to dl the RAWs for backup but the image you see may not be as good as it could be resolution wise.

Diane

[QUOTE=Scargos2;257912]I have a Leica M8, no jpeg files. So it looks like I can not use My Ipad to down load a raw file. Too bad. Well it,s look like I will have to wait until I get home, to see and or email a photo.
Rick[/QUOTE]

jonoslack

I have a Leica M8, no jpeg files. So it looks like I can not use My Ipad to down load a raw file. Too bad. Well it,s look like I will have to wait until I get home, to see and or email a photo.
Rick
HI Rick
Diane has it - you'll need to shoot RAW+jpg - it works well, and the ipad treats the pair as one file.