The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Apps

Godfrey

... Another very straightforward minimalistic writing app is Plain Text and it is uploadable to Dropbox. Any app that allows Dropbox gets a plus from me.
Just wanted to say thank you for mentioning this one, Diane. Clean Writer was good, but when I went to test the DropBox integration, it proves to be broken and the author seems totally unresponsive to my queries.

Plain Text works very nicely, I'm using it a lot. Only thing that was a little annoying is that you DL the "free" app and then have to pay $2 to kill the annoying advertising. I'd rather it was just offered up front for $2 without the advertising. I guess we can think of it as an eval copy with a payment after you find it useful, but frankly if I'm looking for a minimalistic editor, having advertising at the bottom of my field of view ruins it so much that I can't evaluate it that way.

Godfrey

Not an app but a piece of hardware ... I bought a Griffin stylus for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch so that I could use ink and sketch applications more effectively. It allows me to write and draw much more fluidly than I can do with my finger ... and there are times where being able to jot a note down with a pen is simply the fastest and easiest way for me to get something out of my head and recorded.

I actually bought both the Wacom Bamboo stylus and the Griffin as I didn't know which one I'd like more. The Wacom is a little better weighted and a little longer, but I didn't like the feel of its tip as much as the Griffin. The Griffin is also about $10 cheaper.

(No need to return the Bamboo ... a friend of mine tried it and loved it, so he bought it for what I paid. Happy when that happens. :)

OlliL

I have the 3m smart pen, which is also very good and cheap, compared to the others.
Only flaw was, that it was only directly available from Korea and took some time to arrive.

Diane B

I had a different one to begin with last year, maybe Pogo, and have a couple of Targus which I think are the same as Griffin. Lost the Pogo somewhere. I use it in several apps but my favorite for day in,day out usefulness is Noteshelf which just had a major upgrade.

Actually the stylus has no name so it could be Griffin since I bought them at BB and they carry both mfg. for various Ipad accessories.

Diane B

Thought I would mention this app, Notability. Its the best note app I've found and I've tried quite a few. You can mix text, handwriting, audio, import and annotate PDFs, embed photos, backup to Dropbox and more. Its pretty user friendly too, Its on sale now for $.99 and I think this is for a very short time. Its normally $4.99.

Diane

Diane B

Avid Studio released their video editor today for intro $4.99 going up to $7.99. I bought it but it isn't good on Ipad 1 (crashes when rendering even after soft reset)---64GB wifi with 40% free, IOS 5.0.1. Since I plan to buy Ipad 3 I thought I would take advantage of intro price. I had used Reel Director or Editor and this is much better, polished for Ipad. Its enough for my feeble attempts at video LOL and nicer than sitting in front of the monitor as I do with stills. Nice drag and drop, etc as expected for Ipad.

Diane B

For anyone using Pbase, I discovered tonight there is an upload app for Pbase. Usually I upload from Lightroom but nice to know I can upload to both Pbase and Flickr from Ipad if I choose. Nice for travel.

Godfrey

Thought I would mention this app, Notability. Its the best note app I've found and I've tried quite a few. You can mix text, handwriting, audio, import and annotate PDFs, embed photos, backup to Dropbox and more. Its pretty user friendly too, Its on sale now for $.99 and I think this is for a very short time. Its normally $4.99.
Saw it for $.99 again today so I'll give it a try. I use the iPad for a LOT of note taking stuff.

update: I bought one of the Pogo Sketch Pro pens and it is a little nicer in the hand than the Griffin. However, I use the Griffin more still because it has a clip ... the Pogo does not and I'll lose it eventually, so it stays on my desk at home.

Diane B

Saw it for $.99 again today so I'll give it a try. I use the iPad for a LOT of note taking stuff.

update: I bought one of the Pogo Sketch Pro pens and it is a little nicer in the hand than the Griffin. However, I use the Griffin more still because it has a clip ... the Pogo does not and I'll lose it eventually, so it stays on my desk at home.
I use Notability for a lot more than I anticipated.

On styluses--look at Adonit's Jot. I bought it through Kickstarter and absolutely love it (I have a Pogo and Griffin too but don't use them at all now). They've just come out with the Jot Mini with a clip on it so I'll buy another. Its totally different than any other stylus out there--very fine writing or width depending on the app, any thickness, opacity, etc you want) and you can see the point so it feels exactly like using a ball point. I now use the Ipad just as I would a regular paper tablet or journal or notebook.

Diane B

Uwe, I still have Ipad 1 but have "new" Ipad preordered and due for delivery the 16th. I was especially interested in this app so glad you have put up your first impression. Have you also tried the new Photoshop app too??

Edit: Just read your review. Thank you. Do you think the updating may be related to Photostream?? I know even on the 1 I would see a delay as it would add to it. I have my Photostream turned off for now since I only want my saved images in it and was waiting for 5.1 to selectively delete. I noticed you hadn't figured out how yet. I haven't had time to upgrade to 5.1 so haven't tried it of course.

Diane

schuster

iPad advice for newbie

I'm getting a 64GB, WiFi, Verizon 4G iPad "3rd generation" tomorrow. I have no experience with an iPad, and don't even have a smart phone. (Reception here in the New Hampshire woods has been zero bars until recently.) But, I do have a couple of Macs and PCs and an IQ-160 back. Is there anything that I should and should not do, right out of the box? Any worthwhile apps to download, shortcuts, workarounds, good/bad practices, avoidances, etc.?

Diane B

Oh, gosh. There are so many apps that are worthwhile and helpful but it is going to depend upon what you want to do. OTOH, its also rather hard to imagine what you will do with it until you get started. Two apps I suggest most everyone own is Goodreader which is a good way to organize PDFs, Epubs, some photos maybe, docs, etc. There is SO much you can do with the app--explore that one. The other which is free is Dropbox. You will need to also install it on your computers but you can easily move files and photos back and forth between all of them, back up data and be able to access the same data from any device. Very useful.

I just added the Ipad 3 64GB Verizon after having had an Ipad one 64GB wifi only for almost two years. I opted for the smallest amount of data (1 GB) since we have so much free wifi available around here (western NC but specifically my small city) but I dled an app to monitor my data usage since I will change it month to month when traveling.

You will get lots of suggestions but it is hard to suggest until you give some indication what you might want to do with it. Its for fun but for lots more too.

schuster

...it is hard to suggest until you give some indication what you might want to do with it. Its for fun but for lots more too.
Odd path to this point... For the past four months, my DSL has deteriorated to being out of service almost as often as it is in service, and the best speed I can get is about double dial-up. Last week they told me they were aware of the problem, but they had no idea how long it would take for them to make the equipment updates needed. One of my sidelines is website development and publishing!!! I had to find an alternative. Coincidentally, my cell reception for the past month has increased all the way up to two bars :bugeyes: so I figured I could use that as backup with the iPad... and I could take advantage of 4G during my frequent Boston visits. And, besides... "everyone" at the gallery has some flavor of tablet. :cool:.

At a restaurant I saw a guy showing some gorgeous images on his new iPad. He said he shot them with the iPad. Sold!

My iPad focus is mostly photography, but also text (BBEdit?) and as much of my "MacBook Pro" that I can cram onto it. I know it's blasphemous, but the "entertainment" aspect is lowest priority for me.

Godfrey

Re: iPad advice for newbie

Some cool new styli available, but I'm happy with the ones I have for the moment. iPhoto and Photoshop on the iPad have little appeal to me, for one reason or another.

I'm getting a 64GB, WiFi, Verizon 4G iPad "3rd generation" tomorrow. I have no experience with an iPad, and don't even have a smart phone. (Reception here in the New Hampshire woods has been zero bars until recently.) But, I do have a couple of Macs and PCs and an IQ-160 back. Is there anything that I should and should not do, right out of the box? Any worthwhile apps to download, shortcuts, workarounds, good/bad practices, avoidances, etc.?
What do I use a lot? In no particular order ...

- Dropbox - file moving and sharing
- PlainText - simple text editing, works beautifully with Dropbox
- Pages - formatted word processing
- Keynote - presentation, display of photos, etc
- Notability - note taking, sketching, etc
- PenUltimate - sketching, hand-written notes
- Skype - alternative phone via internet
- Kindle - reader app
- Clock Pro - lots of great clocks and timers
- StockTouch - checking stock market stuff
- Calculator LCD - every computer should have a calculator on hand
- Flipboard - social networking/news aggregator
- NPR - NPR news feeder
- FeeddlerPro - RSS feed aggregator
- The Weather Channel - you guessed it
- AP Mobile - Associated Press news feed
- NetFlix - (if you have an account there, of course)
- Snapseed, Photogene, PhotoRAW - image processing
- Photosmith - sort, grade, keyword images (if you use Lightroom)
- PDF Expert - PDF reader and annotation
- GoodReader - PDF lots of stuff (I don't find myself using it as much as others do)
- IMDb - International Movie Database access

I have a couple of games too, mostly I play Scrabble and occasionally Zen Bound 2.

I've been using the iPad 2 for a year and this is what is working for me now. It's a journey of discovery ... It's a fantastic computer, but not a laptop or desktop system. It is it's own thing.