The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New MacBook Pro setup

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Where would you get this for $920? I just checked, and I get $1721 at dell.com. The Dell's hires display is 1920x1080.
Jan... you are correct about the display.. I forgot they went to 16:9 on the 15" vs. 16:10 on the 17".

I saw the price of $920 yesterday on the Dell Outlet. Even at full retail of $1721, it is still a lot less than the MBP ($2350). With the i7-940XM Quad Extreme full retail is $2725... $375 more than a MBP with an i7-620M. I just don't have the time right now to figure out whether it will work well as a Hackintosh, otherwise I would have gone this way.

David

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Oh, it's a refurb. You can get an old MBP pretty cheap too if you're willing to wait for a refurb deal. Probably not for $900, but you don't have to pay $2k+ either.

Does anyone with a 15" wish they got a 17" or vice versa? I'm thinking about getting a 17" as my main workstation, then plug in external drives via eSata. I had a 17" pre-unibody briefly and hated the weight, but was far more productive on it. The extra 2" of screen really do make a difference.

LJL

Bill,
This is/was the internal discussion I keep having. I went with the 15" MBP i7 Core machine with the high res matte screen. I love it. Takes some getting used to the smaller type on the higher res screen, but worth it. There are things I do wish for....more FW800 ports, but not happening regardless of which laptop you get. Then there is the EC/34 slot. I really wish that was on the 15" MBP like before. I would prefer using a card for eSATA connection to a drive or maybe even a RAID configuration just for faster transfers and video work.

Were I to do things again, I think I would still go for the 15" MBP like I have, as for portability, it is best. I do like the larger real estate screen and extra ports on the 17: MBP model however, but it is too big to carry about comfortably for my needs. I am thinking about the 27" iMac for the desk machine at this point, and just using the MBP for my portable needs. For now, I just connect my 15" to a 24" monitor on the desk whenever there, and that seems to work out quite well....until I have to struggle again when away from the bigger view ;-) No perfect solution. I would probably hook up the extra monitor if I had the 17" MBP anyway....cannot have too much screen.

LJ

Godfrey

Does anyone with a 15" wish they got a 17" or vice versa? I'm thinking about getting a 17" as my main workstation, then plug in external drives via eSata. I had a 17" pre-unibody briefly and hated the weight, but was far more productive on it. The extra 2" of screen really do make a difference.
I've had both 15 and 17 inch models. I prefer the 15 inch ... no laptop screen can replace a good desktop display for quality, and 17 inch screens hurt portability which is why I'm buying a laptop in the first place. I'd consider a 13 inch and a desktop display as a standard system before buying another 17 inch.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
So how is that OWC SSD drive holding up? Any noticeable speed loss since you installed it? Any problems at all? I'm thinking of swapping my optical for an OWC SSD kit as well and am looking for a sanity check...