The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Intuos3 Tablet for CS3 work

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chris:

I have one, but don't use it much. I am so used to the mouse, I only use the pen for critical selections when none of my other selection tricks work. You are welcome to come by and take it for a test spin to see if it suits...

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I find it useful when my carpal tunnel acts up.
In some ways, it is harder to use since it is just enough different from a mouse that if you don't use it often it takes acclimatization each time it comes out of the box.
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's one of those items I never thought I'd need and as it turns out, I was right. I watched someone work with one at the Photoshop Conference in Boston and decided to get one. I tried it when I first received it, but now it just sits there. It works beautifully, but it just isn't natural after so many years with a mouse. It might be better in the hands of someone who can draw.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I have the Intuos3 6x8. It fits nicely in my laptop bag and is easy to take everywhere I go.

There are just some things in PS that you need a tablet for and some things that take half the time using a tablet. No matter how good a mouse is, it won't give you pressure or angle control to shape a brush. I use the tablet mainly for masking work, as well as the usual healing and touch up on portraits.

The other nice thing with the Intuos3 is how customizable all the controls are. I have one touchstrip set to zoom in and out and the other to control brush size. Other buttons are set up as Undo, Space Bar (for moving), Clone Tool, Healing Brush, Shift/Alt for selections, and Sample . So most of the time I never have to even touch the keyboard.

Granted, for most of my PP work I only ever use C1 and prefer a mouse with a scroll wheel over a tablet. But, once you get accostomed to the control and finesse of a tablet, you won't want to go back.

David

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
How long did it take you to set all the controls/configurations?

I think in my case that TRSmith nailed it... in the hands of someone who can draw, it's a better tool. Still... maybe someday.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
How long did it take you to set all the controls/configurations?

I think in my case that TRSmith nailed it... in the hands of someone who can draw, it's a better tool. Still... maybe someday.
Took about a half hour. There's a Wacom control panel and you set all your shortcuts there.

Yes, I can draw better than most, but certainly not as well as some. Too many years of art classes and too many doodles in the margins of textbooks to count. :)

But, I don't believe you have to be good at drawing to use a tablet for PS.

David