The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPhone 4 discussions

lcubed

Picked mine up on launch day.
Flawless out of the box.
No yellow spots and no issues with reception.
I guess my hands just aren't sweaty enough!

I'm a former verizon user and locally verizon had very poor reliability at my house
AT&T is a big improvement. YMMV

I'll be in the bay area the next couple of weeks, so I'll see how bad the worst case scenario for AT&T congestion really is

Terry

I'll be in the bay area the next couple of weeks, so I'll see how bad the worst case scenario for AT&T congestion really is
It isn't really data speed it is dropped calls. There are definite spots still where a call will always drop (no matter how many times it has been pinpointed on AT&T application to report these things). My best example of dropped calls:

My iPhone 4 order got mixed up the system and I was trying to get it sorted out with AT&T. The AT&T rep had to call me back three times to complete one conversation because of dropped calls as I was driving through the city.

stephengilbert

"The AT&T rep had to call me back three times to complete one conversation because of dropped calls as I was driving through the city."

Not a problem; you were probably driving too fast.

douglasf13

I have a microcell inside my house, so my reception is full on, and, when I call up the SPEEDTEST app that shows data transmission, there is usually a very obvious data decrease whenever I touch that black band. However, sometimes it isn't evident, so I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it. I'm anti-case with phones, just like I'm anti-plastic on couches, so this has been pretty frustrating for me. I guess I'll have to get a darn $30 bumper. :(

Apple should have put the black band/antenna connection area somewhere on the bottom of the phone, rather than the sides.

douglasf13

It solely depends on your signal strength. Holding the phone over the bottom left black band attenuates the signal somewhere in the range of 24db. The problem is that 5 bars on the iphone account for a spread of 40db. So, it depends if you're at the top or bottom range of the 5 bars. The update coming will fix this discrepancy in visualizing the dynamic range, but it won't fix the physical issue with the antenna.

source:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

The antenna isn't always an issue for me, but, after using the iphone 3G sans case for 2 years, I've decided to suck it up and buy a case, and that seems to solve the issue. I found this REALLY thin and nice looking case that I don't mind....put it still feels like a bit like the plastic on grandma's couch to me (although I don't use the plastic screen protector, just the black case.) :LOL:

case:
http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Barely-There-Cases.asp

p.s. I ended up getting a microcell, and it's been sketchy. It mostly works, but, today, it seems the service is down. :deadhorse:

jonoslack

Well well - it's a really unfortunate and serious error on Apple's part, and the 'letter' didn't make things much better either.

Still, I bought an iphone 4 on launch, so I've had to decide how to deal with it.
I tried a bumper for a day or so, and it did the trick, but like Douglas I don't like cases.

I did briefly think of returning it for a refund . . . but I really like the phone, and as I want to use it 'naked' I've caved in and learned to hold it in my left hand without putting my finger on the black line. . . . I shouldn't need to do this, and I'd like to be able to back-charge Apple for the 5 minutes it took to teach myself.

So, it doesn't let Apple off the hook at all, but now it's second nature, and as everything else works so well . . . . .

douglasf13

Hi, Guy. I actually looked at the Feather first, but went with the nearly identical Barely There case, because the Barely There actually sticks up past the screen ever so slightly. The advantage of that is you can set the iPhone face down on a flat surface and the lcd screen doesn't actually touch the surface. The Barely There also has a bigger cutout for the camera flash, which minimizes the flare some are getting with cases attached.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well well - it's a really unfortunate and serious error on Apple's part, and the 'letter' didn't make things much better either.

Still, I bought an iphone 4 on launch, so I've had to decide how to deal with it.
I tried a bumper for a day or so, and it did the trick, but like Douglas I don't like cases.

I did briefly think of returning it for a refund . . . but I really like the phone, and as I want to use it 'naked' I've caved in and learned to hold it in my left hand without putting my finger on the black line. . . . I shouldn't need to do this, and I'd like to be able to back-charge Apple for the 5 minutes it took to teach myself.

So, it doesn't let Apple off the hook at all, but now it's second nature, and as everything else works so well . . . . .
With bluetooth I just invert the phone after placing the call...suspect area is free and up in the air....bars back to normal.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi, Guy. I actually looked at the Feather first, but went with the nearly identical Barely There case, because the Barely There actually sticks up past the screen ever so slightly. The advantage of that is you can set the iPhone face down on a flat surface and the lcd screen doesn't actually touch the surface. The Barely There also has a bigger cutout for the camera flash, which minimizes the flare some are getting with cases attached.
May have to look at that one to. Thanks