Site Sponsors

Thread: iPhone 4 discussions

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

iPhone 4 discussions

C'mon chaps:
    Do you have the yellow splodges at the base of your screen?
    Does your signal disappear if you put your finger between the two plates on the bottom left of the screen?

. . . . .

Will the yellow spots go away if you wait for a couple of days?

Was the signal strength problem a deliberate ploy by Apple to sell lots of bumpers?

. . . . .

Is it only really feasible to make phone calls wearing rubber gloves?

Is the camera better than a ricoh GRDIII?

. . . . .

What do you think of the wireless based videophoning (now I can look at Silas's new washing machine!

Let the discussions begin

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPhone 4 discussions

Seems that the spots are related to an adhesive drying issue, and should disappear. The signal disruption strikes me a just foolish. Did Apple have all the test iPhone 4s inside cases or covers when testing so that they did not "discover" this problem? Great....build a truly sleek new phone and have to put it in a case or place a cheap rubber band around it just to work. (The rubber gloves may not work, as they do not allow the many touchscreen operations needed to be done.)

I do think that folks will not really care after a while. I know I have learned to hold my 3Gs phone so as not to have signal strength issues, or I use a headset. I refuse to go with a case, as I like the sleek design and look of the naked iPhone....as that was a big part of the entire attraction of the device from the start. (Some folks that do toss their phones into less friendly nooks and crannies might want a case, but the naked iPhone is too sleek to cover up for me.)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I read that the lower left corner of the band/antenna is the culprit snd saw a video of similar issue in 2008 so its evidently not entirely new. Plus, as you say, people will soon forget both.

Post Thanks / Like

Right, Diane, and the lower left corner is exactly the part that is most likely to come into contact while holding the iPhone, both in operation and as a phone. (Statistics say that 83% of the population is right-handed, so holding the iPhone in the left hand while doing touchscreen stuff with the right hand is most common way to use it, or for those of us with larger hands, we can reach stuff with the left thumb while holding the phone in the left hand. Almost all of these holding methods will create contact on that lower left corner quite a bit. Two-hand landscape use will not be an issue, but not how one is going to talk on the device. Get out your headsets folks....)

LJ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got one . No yellow spots going on and signal is like it always is . Not the greatest but that comes from AT&T cell towers. I put a bumper on and supposedly that helps with signal. Not going to test that one either. The camera is pretty cool though and you won't leave it home.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid anything apple is not for me, but I thought you guys may like this link - http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

Best Wishes,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

If I had a iphone I would immediately get a Vajacase case for it. I have two for my touch and they are the nicest cases I've ever seen. The touch doesn't lose it's sleek look in the case.

That said, I'm a Verizon user and am holding out hope for an iphone for us someday--AT&T coverage sucks in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post

That said, I'm a Verizon user and am holding out hope for an iphone for us someday--AT&T coverage sucks in my area.
    Me too. AT&T is not good in my area at all. I reslly like my Touch but know our house is in non-3G and service is spotty in general area. We can hope

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve Jobs personally addressed this issue:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

He says that if the Iphone 4 doesn't work if you hold it in a certain way, he recommends that you hold it another way, preferably in a way that does allow it to function.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a link from daring fireball

http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys...-antennas.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry - thanks for that - interesting, although I'm not sure how many people will be convinced. . . . . I'm afraid that Apple are going to have to give away free bumpers - personally I can live with it, I don't hold the phone like that for calls, and I can change for text messages.

We live in an area of poor reception, and one thing which is noticeable is that the reception on this phone is improved (as long as you keep your fingers to yourself!).

As for the yellow spots - quite right - Silas had them on his phone, and they've basically gone in 24 hours.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Seems that the spots are related to an adhesive drying issue, and should disappear. The signal disruption strikes me a just foolish. Did Apple have all the test iPhone 4s inside cases or covers when testing so that they did not "discover" this problem? Great....build a truly sleek new phone and have to put it in a case or place a cheap rubber band around it just to work. (The rubber gloves may not work, as they do not allow the many touchscreen operations needed to be done.)

I do think that folks will not really care after a while. I know I have learned to hold my 3Gs phone so as not to have signal strength issues, or I use a headset. I refuse to go with a case, as I like the sleek design and look of the naked iPhone....as that was a big part of the entire attraction of the device from the start. (Some folks that do toss their phones into less friendly nooks and crannies might want a case, but the naked iPhone is too sleek to cover up for me.)

LJ
    HI LJ
    I'm with you on all of this - the spots are already disappearing on Si's phone, and I'm not about to put cases or even rubber bands around it. fortunately it works really well plugged into the car in the glove compartment (much better signal than the old phone). The screen is divine

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Terry - thanks for that - interesting, although I'm not sure how many people will be convinced. . . . . I'm afraid that Apple are going to have to give away free bumpers - personally I can live with it, I don't hold the phone like that for calls, and I can change for text messages.
    I actually already make a point of trying to use my phone mostly on speaker and keep it away from my head as much as possible.

After years of having to move my blackberry and other assorted phones away from my landline phone or speakerphone in the office (because of the noticeable interference that you can hear) I decided that I didn't need my head absorbing whatever radio waves/radiation the phones were putting out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I actually already make a point of trying to use my phone mostly on speaker and keep it away from my head as much as possible.

After years of having to move my blackberry and other assorted phones away from my landline phone or speakerphone in the office (because of the noticeable interference that you can hear) I decided that I didn't need my head absorbing whatever radio waves/radiation the phones were putting out.
    Well - I don't use mine so very much for voice calls anyway (nobody rings me). but to be honest, I don't think that it's going to be terribly relevant. The interesting point is whether . . had it not been pointed out . . I would ever have noticed the reception issue. I rather doubt it.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right, Diane, and the lower left corner is exactly the part that is most likely to come into contact while holding the iPhone, both in operation and as a phone. (Statistics say that 83% of the population is right-handed, so holding the iPhone in the left hand while doing touchscreen stuff with the right hand is most common way to use it, or for those of us with larger hands, we can reach stuff with the left thumb while holding the phone in the left hand. Almost all of these holding methods will create contact on that lower left corner quite a bit. Two-hand landscape use will not be an issue, but not how one is going to talk on the device. Get out your headsets folks....)

LJ
    Hi LJ
    actually . . . 3 days in, the bumper was a pain, so it goes 'nude'. The one thing that is obviously different is that the reception is better than it was on the old phone (we're in an area of really poor reception). I haven't had any dropped calls - and I do hold it in my left hand.

Not excusing the issue - let's hope there is a firmware fix (some suggestions of it). What I'm saying is that in MY 'real world' . . . . . it doesn't seem to be an issue!

Actually, the screen is also obviously different . . . as is the speed . . . as is how nice an object it is.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono,
    My only thoughts about this entire thing were expressed before, and I still think they are very real: placing the two antennae (Wi-Fi and 3G) where Apple did, seems to be a bit of design compromise, but it is now what we have; given that situation, I do think that a fair number of folks will opt for some case or bumper band as much for protection and handling as anything, though I, like you prefer the naked iPhone for its sleekness and design; and finally, I think Jobs' comments are going to be the case....folks will adapt to holding the iPhone 4 differently over time if they have signal problems. Being aware that there are some real technical issues over the signal strength problem is nice to know, and help folks sort out what they may need. But that goes back to the initial design and testing that should have caught, and hopefully reduced, if not eliminated these problems from the start.

Knowing the reception problem will probably not stop me from trading up to the iPhone 4 soon enough, for many of the other good things it offers, as you mention. Still just seems like this is one of those little, but important details that Apple seems to have overlooked, and that they may not have realized how much a problem it might be for folks in actual use. Not the testing lab with nobody even holding the phone, nor the two-handed landscape mode for other things, and maybe even more general use with a headset or speakerphone from a desk or stand where folks are also not actually cradling the phone too closely in their hands.

I even started wondering is something like small, thin stick-on patches to cover the antenna outlets may be the simplest solution. They would not interfere with reception, and would also be non-conductive. So long as you did not completely cover the antennae within your closed hand, signal attenuation should be minimal. Just my thoughts. Might even be something like using the "screen protector" sticky plastic film as strips covering the antennae to prevent conductance from the hand. Seems like it should be an easy physical fix to make cheaply, and will work until they redesign things again.

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I even started wondering is something like small, thin stick-on patches to cover the antenna outlets may be the simplest solution. They would not interfere with reception, and would also be non-conductive. So long as you did not completely cover the antennae within your closed hand, signal attenuation should be minimal. Just my thoughts. Might even be something like using the "screen protector" sticky plastic film as strips covering the antennae to prevent conductance from the hand. Seems like it should be an easy physical fix to make cheaply, and will work until they redesign things again.

LJ
    High LJ
    All these things work. However, they're a faff, and in my couple of day's experience they are quite unnecessary: it takes about 20 seconds to lose the signal by 'bridging the gap'. It's easy to do on purpose but doesn't seem to happen by mistake.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Great new word for me, Jono, thanks.

faff Brit. to spend your time doing a lot of unimportant things instead of the thing you should be doing

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if one uses the phone part of the iPhone a fair bit, and does not do so from speakerphone (sharing your conversations with all around), or some mounting, or with a dorky BT earpiece hanging from you head, then maybe a solution to the problem is not so much faff ;-) Even Steve Jobs had problems, and still recognizes that there are issues. His view is that the iPhone 4 does not have reception issues, only user handling issues that may impact the reception. That being said, he is still looking into this "faff", and has suggested that a solution may be coming:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

I do not think anybody is or has been expecting a perfect device, yet something as fundamental as being able to reliably use the phone part of the iPhone may not be so trivial, and should not really require add-ons or special contortions in handling. I do not think it would be a problem for me using it, as I have learned and adapted easily to some reception issues with the iPhone 3Gs. I just choose not to use a case, nor do I care much for the dorky headsets, nor speakerphone conversations just to take or make phone calls. So maybe for a number of folks having issues, real or perceived, having the device work properly may be important to the things they should be doing ;-)

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, if one uses the phone part of the iPhone a fair bit, and does not do so from speakerphone (sharing your conversations with all around), or some mounting, or with a dorky BT earpiece hanging from you head, then maybe a solution to the problem is not so much faff ;-) Even Steve Jobs had problems, and still recognizes that there are issues. His view is that the iPhone 4 does not have reception issues, only user handling issues that may impact the reception. That being said, he is still looking into this "faff", and has suggested that a solution may be coming:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...ue-stay-tuned/

I do not think anybody is or has been expecting a perfect device, yet something as fundamental as being able to reliably use the phone part of the iPhone may not be so trivial, and should not really require add-ons or special contortions in handling. I do not think it would be a problem for me using it, as I have learned and adapted easily to some reception issues with the iPhone 3Gs. I just choose not to use a case, nor do I care much for the dorky headsets, nor speakerphone conversations just to take or make phone calls. So maybe for a number of folks having issues, real or perceived, having the device work properly may be important to the things they should be doing ;-)

LJ
    Hi LJ - I wasn't excusing the problem in any way - shouldn't have happened - let's hope there is a solution blah blah. I'm certainly not saying it isn't a real issue. The faffing about I referred to was sticking bits of stuff over the join so it doesn't happen - just that in my experience it's easy to avoid, and doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. I rather wonder if I'd have noticed it if I hadn't known about it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Picked mine up on launch day.
    Flawless out of the box.
    No yellow spots and no issues with reception.
    I guess my hands just aren't sweaty enough!

I'm a former verizon user and locally verizon had very poor reliability at my house
    AT&T is a big improvement. YMMV

I'll be in the bay area the next couple of weeks, so I'll see how bad the worst case scenario for AT&T congestion really is

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
    I'll be in the bay area the next couple of weeks, so I'll see how bad the worst case scenario for AT&T congestion really is
    It isn't really data speed it is dropped calls. There are definite spots still where a call will always drop (no matter how many times it has been pinpointed on AT&T application to report these things). My best example of dropped calls:

My iPhone 4 order got mixed up the system and I was trying to get it sorted out with AT&T. The AT&T rep had to call me back three times to complete one conversation because of dropped calls as I was driving through the city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The AT&T rep had to call me back three times to complete one conversation because of dropped calls as I was driving through the city."

Not a problem; you were probably driving too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a microcell inside my house, so my reception is full on, and, when I call up the SPEEDTEST app that shows data transmission, there is usually a very obvious data decrease whenever I touch that black band. However, sometimes it isn't evident, so I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it. I'm anti-case with phones, just like I'm anti-plastic on couches, so this has been pretty frustrating for me. I guess I'll have to get a darn $30 bumper.

Apple should have put the black band/antenna connection area somewhere on the bottom of the phone, rather than the sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just put in a M cell also . seems to be working pretty good so far
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny. I have a bumper and took it off to show somebody what the dust up is all about. No matter how we held it the bottom left we could not get the bars to go down. I do believe it is signal strength combined with how you hold it. Crap signal to start with gets worse if you block out that antenna.

These guys are usually so up to date!

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...oblems-in.html
    Last edited by Terry; 2nd July 2010 at 16:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It solely depends on your signal strength. Holding the phone over the bottom left black band attenuates the signal somewhere in the range of 24db. The problem is that 5 bars on the iphone account for a spread of 40db. So, it depends if you're at the top or bottom range of the 5 bars. The update coming will fix this discrepancy in visualizing the dynamic range, but it won't fix the physical issue with the antenna.

source:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

The antenna isn't always an issue for me, but, after using the iphone 3G sans case for 2 years, I've decided to suck it up and buy a case, and that seems to solve the issue. I found this REALLY thin and nice looking case that I don't mind....put it still feels like a bit like the plastic on grandma's couch to me (although I don't use the plastic screen protector, just the black case.)

case:
    http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Ca...here-Cases.asp

p.s. I ended up getting a microcell, and it's been sketchy. It mostly works, but, today, it seems the service is down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Consumer reports just condemned the iphone unless you put a piece of duct tape or case on it: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...twork-gsm.html

Hopefully this will mean an immediate price reduction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well well - it's a really unfortunate and serious error on Apple's part, and the 'letter' didn't make things much better either.

Still, I bought an iphone 4 on launch, so I've had to decide how to deal with it.
    I tried a bumper for a day or so, and it did the trick, but like Douglas I don't like cases.

I did briefly think of returning it for a refund . . . but I really like the phone, and as I want to use it 'naked' I've caved in and learned to hold it in my left hand without putting my finger on the black line. . . . I shouldn't need to do this, and I'd like to be able to back-charge Apple for the 5 minutes it took to teach myself.

So, it doesn't let Apple off the hook at all, but now it's second nature, and as everything else works so well . . . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey folks I found a great Iphone case that is very thin and I really like it a lot because it keeps a nice slim profile like the phone itself. It's made by Incipio called the feather

May want to check it out.

http://www.myincipio.com/iphone-4-ca...rd-shell-case/

http://www.myincipio.com/product/IPH...-iPhone-4.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi, Guy. I actually looked at the Feather first, but went with the nearly identical Barely There case, because the Barely There actually sticks up past the screen ever so slightly. The advantage of that is you can set the iPhone face down on a flat surface and the lcd screen doesn't actually touch the surface. The Barely There also has a bigger cutout for the camera flash, which minimizes the flare some are getting with cases attached.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well well - it's a really unfortunate and serious error on Apple's part, and the 'letter' didn't make things much better either.

Still, I bought an iphone 4 on launch, so I've had to decide how to deal with it.
    I tried a bumper for a day or so, and it did the trick, but like Douglas I don't like cases.

I did briefly think of returning it for a refund . . . but I really like the phone, and as I want to use it 'naked' I've caved in and learned to hold it in my left hand without putting my finger on the black line. . . . I shouldn't need to do this, and I'd like to be able to back-charge Apple for the 5 minutes it took to teach myself.

So, it doesn't let Apple off the hook at all, but now it's second nature, and as everything else works so well . . . . .
    With bluetooth I just invert the phone after placing the call...suspect area is free and up in the air....bars back to normal.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/a...4-this-friday/

Steve Jobs is going to confess that there is no problem with the iphone, they are just reporting one to get more free advertising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Hi, Guy. I actually looked at the Feather first, but went with the nearly identical Barely There case, because the Barely There actually sticks up past the screen ever so slightly. The advantage of that is you can set the iPhone face down on a flat surface and the lcd screen doesn't actually touch the surface. The Barely There also has a bigger cutout for the camera flash, which minimizes the flare some are getting with cases attached.
    May have to look at that one to. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/l...est&refresh=60

Apple Iphone 4 press conference stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, a solution to iPhone 4 antenna problems: bandaids.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...to-a-business/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why the iPhone sells so well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Blue language warning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Why the iPhone sells so well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Blue language warning.
    Fun, even I got one now :-)