The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Putting Photishop in Externial HD_YES?

Scargos2

I received an 2 TB external HD today and my IMAC HD is stating to fill up. I was thinking about putting Lightroom and Photoshop in the external HD.
Is this a good idea and has anyone tried this?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
With Mac OS you can load programs anywhere you want. But you want to install them there, not just drag the app over.

Personally I prefer to have all my apps residing on the OS drive, and then keeping large extras like my photos, iTunes library, and documents folder on another disk.

kevinparis

OS and applications on the internal drive...dont install applications to anywhere else than the applications folder.... move the other stuff to the external drive...applications are not big in relation to your hard drive... it will be data like videos and badly filed photoshop files that will be eating your disk space

seriously... a very full range of apps ie all apple pro apps... aperture, final cut and logic and all their files, plus all adobe plus OS will fit within a 200 gb drive easily.Trust me i know having made demo systems for Apple stage shows

external drives are for data... think you need to do some house cleaning. recommend

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

to find out all those useless files

K

Scargos2

Hello Kevin,
I kind of knew that putting programs on an external HD was not the way to go, but I was not sure. So your help and Jacks was great.
I will look at omnidisksweeper. It looks like it's the way to go.

Thanks Jack & Kevin for the INFO