Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: Face Time - and macbook air

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Face Time - and macbook air

    Hmm - not sure that this is the right place for this, but we've used it a bit between phones - the new beta version which works between any mac is a real ball - first of all it's stunningly simple to set up, after which it works really well.

    Facetime Beta for Mac

    It doesn't really do much that Skype doesn't, and of course, it is limited to macs, but it's so simple to set up, and it really does seem to work well too.

    I just specced out a new macbook air with 256Gb 4Gb and the larger screen - I'm afraid it's going to have to wait for a bit!

    Just this guy you know

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    lucky for you, Jono, i will be in the states 21 november to 12 december if you happen it to come up with the dough sooner

    i think my household is seriously looking at the smaller guys, if only to stop cat fights about who gets the electricity!

    seriously hoping there is a guinea pig here on the forum to let us know if they are as good as they look...

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    lucky for you, Jono, i will be in the states 21 november to 12 december if you happen it to come up with the dough sooner

    i think my household is seriously looking at the smaller guys, if only to stop cat fights about who gets the electricity!

    seriously hoping there is a guinea pig here on the forum to let us know if they are as good as they look...
    I've rather rethought, I'd love one, but these days I keep data on portable external encrypted drives (not personally paranoid, but clients data . . .) including my Aperture Library - and then I use firewire 800 . . . which of course it doesn't support.

    So I just bought 8gb RAM for my 13", and I'll stick with that for the time being.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Interesting you should say that, Jono, as I was coming to the same conclusion. While I personally think the new MacBook Airs are really attractive, and could be the perfect tag-along device for some nice viewing and even a bit of work, as they are not totally underpowered now with better graphics cards, the lack of seriously useful connectivity for storage saps my interest. Like you, fast external FW800 drives or connectivity has become really important to manage growing libraries. Now, to be fair, the MBA does have USB2 connectivity, but not satisfying enough to handle fast CF card reader. And one cannot easily connect anything else.

    Bottom line, these fantastically attractive new notebooks appear to be really geared more toward the mainstream business users, not so much the media intensive creative types. Nothing wrong there, as I had thought about going with one for greater portability, and maybe using an iMac or whatever as the workstation, but since I already have a very useful 15" i7 Core MBP with 8GB RAM, and FW800 connectivity, no real need, and the frustration of wanting the MBA to do more would be bothersome. So, I will drag the twice as heavy MBP around instead, but have lots more storage and utility with it. Were I back doing just business consulting stuff, the MBA would be the ticket for sure, or maybe even the next iPad iteration, but for doing more photography and video stuff, the MBP seems to be the minimal entry point tool.....and you can soup it up with SSD and more RAM for performance as you need it.

    Still, the new MBA notebooks are seriously nice, light and fairly powerful machines that I do think will sell very well for Apple. Just not capable enough for more demanding tasks that some of us may need :-(

    LJ

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Interesting you should say that, Jono, as I was coming to the same conclusion. While I personally think the new MacBook Airs are really attractive, and could be the perfect tag-along device for some nice viewing and even a bit of work, as they are not totally underpowered now with better graphics cards, the lack of seriously useful connectivity for storage saps my interest. Like you, fast external FW800 drives or connectivity has become really important to manage growing libraries. Now, to be fair, the MBA does have USB2 connectivity, but not satisfying enough to handle fast CF card reader. And one cannot easily connect anything else.

    Bottom line, these fantastically attractive new notebooks appear to be really geared more toward the mainstream business users, not so much the media intensive creative types. Nothing wrong there, as I had thought about going with one for greater portability, and maybe using an iMac or whatever as the workstation, but since I already have a very useful 15" i7 Core MBP with 8GB RAM, and FW800 connectivity, no real need, and the frustration of wanting the MBA to do more would be bothersome. So, I will drag the twice as heavy MBP around instead, but have lots more storage and utility with it. Were I back doing just business consulting stuff, the MBA would be the ticket for sure, or maybe even the next iPad iteration, but for doing more photography and video stuff, the MBP seems to be the minimal entry point tool.....and you can soup it up with SSD and more RAM for performance as you need it.

    Still, the new MBA notebooks are seriously nice, light and fairly powerful machines that I do think will sell very well for Apple. Just not capable enough for more demanding tasks that some of us may need :-(

    LJ
    Well, they teeter on the brink for me - I couldn't manage with one USB port - two would be okay if either
    1. it had an ethernet port. or
    2. it had a firewire 800 port

    I currently have an i5 imac (27), a 17"MBP and a 13"MPB, and also an iPad.
    It would seem logical to replace the 13" with an air, but the connectivity is an issue. It would be interesting to see how the speed compares, but not quite interesting enough to shell out £1500 to find out!

    Very beautiful though, as you say.

    Just this guy you know

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    I never understood the overlap of the MBA. Good concept but priced wrong. It fits a "Netbook" marketing strategy and goal IMO but retains MBP prices. At least they put some horsepower in this iteration...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I never understood the overlap of the MBA. Good concept but priced wrong. It fits a "Netbook" marketing strategy and goal IMO but retains MBP prices. At least they put some horsepower in this iteration...
    Well, maybe, but reading the speed test comparisons, it seems that the maxxed out 13" is faster than the 13"MBP - and has better screen resolution. (mind you, it's more expensive as well).

    However, I think it's always dodgy to do a price / value comparison between mac products and non mac products - it doesn't seem to have much effect in terms of sales!

    Just this guy you know

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    I don't do image processing very often on a laptop and USB 2.0 pocket drive suffices for when I do. When it comes to laptops, small and light is better as long as they run most of the same software I run on my desktop, and the screen/keyboard are usably sized.

    My ancient PowerBook G4 is still working well (I'm using it now), but when I do an update the MBA looks to be just the ticket, if the iPad hasn't replaced its functionality for me by then.

  9. #9
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    13" MBA 1.86, 7 hours of battery life max, no onboard DVD drive, no back-lit keyboard, no user swappable drives, 2G RAM, 12"x7.5"x.6.8", weighs 2.3 pounds and costs $1599

    13" MBP 2.66 processor, 10 hours of battery life, 4G RAM, 14"x10"x1", weighs 5.6 pounds and costs $1499.

    Seems you're paying a lot for smaller size and weight versus a significant hit on performance and utility... I'd buy the 13" MBP in a nano-second over the Air for the added battery life alone. But if the Air were 15 hours of runtime, then I'd be really conflicted.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    13" MBA 1.86, 7 hours of battery life max, no onboard DVD drive, no back-lit keyboard, no user swappable drives, 2G RAM, 12"x7.5"x.6.8", weighs 2.3 pounds and costs $1599

    13" MBP 2.66 processor, 10 hours of battery life, 4G RAM, 14"x10"x1", weighs 5.6 pounds and costs $1499.

    Seems you're paying a lot for smaller size and weight versus a significant hit on performance and utility...
    The trade off of 3 hours less run time compared to over 3 lbs lighter makes the MacBook Air much more appealing to me. I buy laptops with mobility as the priority. For only $100 more, it's a shoe-in: I've left *lenses* home for a 1 lb reduction in my carryall's weight, never mind a computer. ;-) :-)

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    13" MBA 1.86, 7 hours of battery life max, no onboard DVD drive, no back-lit keyboard, no user swappable drives, 2G RAM, 12"x7.5"x.6.8", weighs 2.3 pounds and costs $1599

    13" MBP 2.66 processor, 10 hours of battery life, 4G RAM, 14"x10"x1", weighs 5.6 pounds and costs $1499.

    Seems you're paying a lot for smaller size and weight versus a significant hit on performance and utility... I'd buy the 13" MBP in a nano-second over the Air for the added battery life alone. But if the Air were 15 hours of runtime, then I'd be really conflicted.
    Hi Jack
    Well, you can put the RAM up to 4Gb very cheaply - 3.3lbs ain't nothing, and unless you put an SSD into the MBP you're going to lose quit a lot due to the read speeds from the drive.

    I think what you're paying for is actually mostly the solid state storage.

    The battery life is perhaps an issue - but then again, fast recovery from sleep means that you're likely to lose less battery if you're shutting and opening it a lot.

    If you put a 256Gb SSD into a 13"mbp then the price difference isn't so much.

    I'm just sad you can't put 8Gb RAM into one

    Just this guy you know

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    if you get the 11", no having to take it out when you go through security at the airport... if you fly a lot, that is huge!

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Just a quick price and spec check:

    MBP 13" 2.66Gh`
    4Gb RAM
    256Gb SSD
    UK Price: £ 1849 US $2249

    MBA 13" 2.13Gh
    4Gb RAM
    256Gb SSD
    UK Price: £1509 US $1799

    a DVD drive is $79

    You get more screen resolution:
    MBA = 1440 x 900
    MBP = 1280 x 800

    having just put an SSD into my 17"MBP I know how much difference this really makes.

    Just this guy you know

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    if you get the 11", no having to take it out when you go through security at the airport... if you fly a lot, that is huge!
    Actually Cam
    I've had to take my ipad out every time I've flown in Europe recently (. . erm . . 6 times).
    Each time they said I didn't have to - and then after the scan they'd made me take it out and put it through again

    I think you'd find the same with the 11" MBA

    Just this guy you know

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    damn... oh well, good to know.

    and it makes the 13" not so bad an option then

  16. #16
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Aftermarket SSDs are a lot cheaper and better than Apple OEM...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORCAL
    Posts
    304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    gee, not much love for the Air here I guess.

    I shot an NHL game last night--had to use Photoshop since didn't have time to download Photo Mechanic yet.

    Results: faster to use than my macbook pro i5--end result was images loaded to agency, and I was out of there before all the fans were. Big plus was size--it sat easily on my lap during game, even thought I got hit twice by pucks. I could easily upload and edit during period breaks without running all the way back to the press room. With the i5, it is too heavy and cumbersome to do that--and making it back and forth to the press room is tough given you don't want to miss a goal in the early parts of a period.

    Yeah, but it ONLY has a 1.86 processor and ONLY 2 Gigs of Dram and the 256SSD: (btw, spend the $100 and get the 4G models for piece of mind more than anything)

    Good things:

    Fires up photoshop in seconds--simple edits like crop, curves, sizing reasonably quick--as quick as the i5 from a practical standpoint

    Runs simple actions fast--mine are primarily captioning/renaming zipping through a 50-100 shots folders

    13" at 1400 by 900 works for quick edits (move dock to side)--not any worse than the 15" i5

    Dumb ethernet adapter works GREAT on a fast line--like the one at HP Pavilion. 40 shots uploaded to server before I could pack my bag. Apple should have hard wired this thing. one USB slot for a card reader, a mouse--that's it. Need a hub or have to yank something if you need a hardwire connection. Or live with bluetooth stuff (yuk)

    One can dwell on the speeds of buses, processors, dram all day long. But in the end it's the real world performance doing what YOU do that counts. Hey I worked at Apple, so maybe biased.

    For us simple editorial guys, this is a real machine. For folks wanting to do commercial video or insanely large pictures, not the right weapon for the fight.

    Also, I usually have a usb hard drive with me--so a quick backup after the game and I can transfer files to my larger machine at home for storage--that 256 drive has its limits.

    I paid around $1470 for mine with corp discounts

    For bigger jobs, still love my MacPro tower at home. Not so sure I need the i5 MacBook Pro though
    Last edited by fultonpics; 31st October 2010 at 12:36.

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Aftermarket SSDs are a lot cheaper and better than Apple OEM...
    Hi Jack
    Yes indeed (I've been buying them) but they still put the price of the MBP well over that of the MBA

    More to the point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    13" MBA 1.86, 7 hours of battery life max, no onboard DVD drive, no back-lit keyboard, no user swappable drives, 2G RAM, 12"x7.5"x.6.8", weighs 2.3 pounds and costs $1599

    13" MBP 2.66 processor, 10 hours of battery life, 4G RAM, 14"x10"x1", weighs 5.6 pounds and costs $1499.
    add $100 to the MBA for 4G ram, and another $100 for the 2.13 Ghz processor, so that makes $300 difference

    can you get good quality 256 Gb SSD for $300? you certainly can't in the UK, the best I've found are $600
    Last edited by jonoslack; 31st October 2010 at 13:49.

    Just this guy you know

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by fultonpics View Post
    gee, not much love for the Air here I guess.
    Well, I'm impressed - having spent 1/2 hour with one in the Apple store - it seemed to stuff a standard 13 MBP into a stuffed hat.

    Jack doesn't seem impressed though

    Just this guy you know

  20. #20
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    My other issue is lack of a firewire port which my Phase back (and Hasselblad too) needs for tethering to our respective softwares --- and that IS a big issue for me really...

    Since I already have a 15" i7 that I can tether to, I actually could see the 11" for me as a better alternative to the iPad -- but NOT a replacement for a power laptop.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My other issue is lack of a firewire port
    Ah . . . Now we're talking - I quite agree, it's really a pity that it's missing.

    I have several places to work, and carrying machines around is really a bore, so all my documents folder (including my aperture library and this year's images and Windows virtual machines) are held on a small (2.5"), portable firewire 800 / USB 2 hard drive. Which is fine, but the firewire 800 is so much better.

    This isn't perfect, but the drive is TrueCrypt encrypted, so when I leave it on a plane, or get my car stolen, then I don't have to explain to clients where their confidential data has gone.

    Still, I don't have your problem with the tethering, so I can deal with USB2 (with regret).

    Basically I have a Mac Pro in the office, together with a 17"MBP (8gb SSD) which i use for most work, and which I take on site for long trips.

    At home I have an i5 27" imac, which works well. . . . .

    But when I go on personal trips I still have to be capable of doing work, and that's where an MBA would come in. Currently I use a maxxed out 13"MBP, but I relish losing 3lb, and having better screen resolution.

    But I stick to my point - apart from the sad lack of a FW800 drive, which, I can see is a real problem for you, I don't think the price / performance ratio is against the MBA, and the benchmarks do seem to bear that out.

    I really wanted an 11", but the SSD port on the 13" effectively frees one of the two USB ports for ethernet, the 256Gb SSD allows enough space for all the images from a trip, and the extra screen resolution add up to a much more attractive package (and it only weighs an extra pound).

    Just this guy you know

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Not to put too much of twist into this, but the flash storage on the MBA is not really the same as an SSD, from what has been reported in several places. So yes, it will still be better than a HDD, but it is not performing quite as well as an SSD. Not sure why, but that was something that did catch my attention when I was looking at these upon first release.

    Have to say, a tricked out 13" MBA could go a long way for decent notebook use, aside from the tethering issue due to lack of FW800. Tethering or not, the lack of FW800 has been a hurdle for me to get more comfortable thinking about the MBA. I know my 15" i7 MBP will run circles around the MBA, but it is also double the weight, and at times, that matters a lot.

    Jono, in your case, I hear the siren of the MBA calling your name ;-) Seems like it would work nicely into your kit of options.

    LJ

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Not to put too much of twist into this, but the flash storage on the MBA is not really the same as an SSD, from what has been reported in several places. So yes, it will still be better than a HDD, but it is not performing quite as well as an SSD. Not sure why, but that was something that did catch my attention when I was looking at these upon first release.

    Have to say, a tricked out 13" MBA could go a long way for decent notebook use, aside from the tethering issue due to lack of FW800. Tethering or not, the lack of FW800 has been a hurdle for me to get more comfortable thinking about the MBA. I know my 15" i7 MBP will run circles around the MBA, but it is also double the weight, and at times, that matters a lot.

    Jono, in your case, I hear the siren of the MBA calling your name ;-) Seems like it would work nicely into your kit of options.

    LJ
    Yes - well that's three of us who would really have liked FW800 - but as I say, the SD card slot helps.

    I'm definitely tempted - especially as my wife's old black MB is getting rather tired (she has her eyes on the 13"MBP).

    I didn't know about the SSD / Flash difference, but I do believe you. I spent half an hour playing with an 11" 2Gb / 64 Gb in the Norwich Apple Store on Friday - it seemed very snappy loading the general suspects and getting about, certainly a different world from the old Air.

    Just this guy you know

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Not to put too much of twist into this, but the flash storage on the MBA is not really the same as an SSD, from what has been reported in several places. So yes, it will still be better than a HDD, but it is not performing quite as well as an SSD. Not sure why, but that was something that did catch my attention when I was looking at these upon first release.
    Apple's got a lot of experience with flash memory storage systems ... look at how many bazillion iPhones, iPods, iPads they've sold. What they do on these small devices is organize and integrate the storage chipset into the logic board rather than build it into its own enclosure and put that on the logic board. The result is better use of space and better heat dissipation.

    What metric are you referring to when you say, "it will still be better than a HDD, but it is not performing quite as well as an SSD"? By my casual test of a new MBA against an SSD MBP at the store, I was impressed that the MBA seemed to perform better than the higher-spec'ed MBP, particularly with respect to application launch times.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    [QUOTE=Godfrey;

    What metric are you referring to when you say, "it will still be better than a HDD, but it is not performing quite as well as an SSD"? By my casual test of a new MBA against an SSD MBP at the store, I was impressed that the MBA seemed to perform better than the higher-spec'ed MBP, particularly with respect to application launch times.[/QUOTE]

    Well, since I need to provide a metric against your "casual test", try this: http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp27.html (please read the Addendum at the end for the metrics)

    Did you test the MBA against a the higher spec'ed MBP with an SSD in the MBP?

    LJ

    P.S. Oops, you did say the MBP has an SSD....sorry. But was it an Apple SSD (not among the speedier ones out there), or a faster 3rd party drive? Not all SSD units are the same.
    Last edited by LJL; 1st November 2010 at 07:35.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    um... excuse me for interrupting the cat fight going on , but can i ask a question about reliability and longevity of the SSD (or whatever it is in the newer MBAs?

    we had one regular drive just die from my 17" (i abuse it frequently with multi-layer PS documents) and another from the original MBA in the house... the 17" makes sense -- it was old, used and abused -- but the MBA is not that old and wasn't used that much either... that, if anything, gives me pause on the newer ones as you can't change out the drives yourself.

    thank you (and sorry to interrupt).

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    No "cat fight" here....just trying to keep a perspective ;-)

    You are asking about an unknown right now.....the longer term performance of the flash memory in the new MBAs. With SSDs that are using Sandforce technologies, they build in some redundancy in storage to swap out sectors as they start to fail. No idea how Apple is handling that with their new flash storage, and evidently not too much information out there yet either. But being able to swap a drive if something goes bad is attractive to some users, but not a feature these new notebooks have any longer. Same with the battery. If it goes south, back to Apple to fix/replace. Personally, most of this stuff looks to be sort of designed for the average user (not "abuser"), with replacement plans every couple years or so. Just my opinion. Not saying it is not a good move by Apple for design, sales, upgrade path, etc., but it may not accommodate the folks on the edge of the performance distribution curves that need to replace things more often from heavier use/abuse as you put it.

    LJ

  28. #28
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    um... excuse me for interrupting the cat fight going on , but can i ask a question about reliability and longevity of the SSD (or whatever it is in the newer MBAs?

    we had one regular drive just die from my 17" (i abuse it frequently with multi-layer PS documents) and another from the original MBA in the house... the 17" makes sense -- it was old, used and abused -- but the MBA is not that old and wasn't used that much either... that, if anything, gives me pause on the newer ones as you can't change out the drives yourself.

    thank you (and sorry to interrupt).

    It should be more reliable than a hard drive.

    why don't you replace the 17" drive? it really isn't that much of a mission, and maybe it solves your problem?

    Just this guy you know

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    thanks, LJ, that helps.

    then that puts me probably back into the 11" (if i can afford the luxury) for travel and an iMac (or one of the newer MBPs in january) with an external screen for my main work station.

    in the meanwhile, i'll try to get this damned "mouse" fixed before i go on my next trip and see if everything still plays nice with the occasional tweak on the road... i still do find the Air more attractive than the iPad (my own personal preference), especially as i refuse to lug the 17" on another trip.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    It should be more reliable than a hard drive.

    why don't you replace the 17" drive? it really isn't that much of a mission, and maybe it solves your problem?
    Kevin did -- it's done! (canabalised from another sitting around)

    i'm thinking about the future, sir, and i'm just skittish now... after his MBA drive failed as well, it made me think...

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Well, since I need to provide a metric against your "casual test", try this: http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp27.html (please read the Addendum at the end for the metrics)

    Did you test the MBA against a the higher spec'ed MBP with an SSD in the MBP?

    LJ

    P.S. Oops, you did say the MBP has an SSD....sorry. But was it an Apple SSD (not among the speedier ones out there), or a faster 3rd party drive? Not all SSD units are the same.
    Not sure why you want to make it seem like my "casual test" should be something definitive. I asked a simple question about what metrics you are using. I see you are not actually testing the unit yourself, just referring to someone else's tests. Ok.

    I was looking at both computers at an Apple Store. I doubt the MBP with SSD in it would have anything but an Apple drive.

    I read the review you linked to. It sounds like a fair test, Apple's solid state storage integrated with all other factors performs well, if not at the bleeding edge for standalone devices of this sort.

    The final statement is what matters:

    "... But fantasies aside, the MacBook Air 2010 is not an iPad with a keyboard. It's not a high powered pro laptop. It is a light, thin, beautifully designed ultraportable fully capable of light to medium tasks. ... "
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. ;-)

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Kevin did -- it's done! (canabalised from another sitting around)

    i'm thinking about the future, sir, and i'm just skittish now... after his MBA drive failed as well, it made me think...
    A good backup policy is the only thing that actually reduces the risks of drive failure and provides data security.

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    A good backup policy is the only thing that actually reduces the risks of drive failure
    Godfrey! I never had you down as a believer in Murphy's law!
    Quite agree about the backup policy though.

    Just this guy you know

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    i did and do back up, redundantly in fact, but some of my newer processing was lost, along with a set of JFI Lab converters in C1... i did a clean install of everything else (can't calibrate my monitor any more, though, now that i've been upgraded to Snow Leopard) and was even gifted a free upgrade on an action set i own who's installer no longer worked.

    after losing three months of photos back in 2007 due to hard drive failure on a brand new drive, my images are backed up and backed up -- i learned my lesson. did i say i back up? never got those images back, as the cost was too extreme... still have the drive, though. maybe someday.

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Godfrey! I never had you down as a believer in Murphy's law!...
    Can't imagine why not. I always work with the assumption that things can go wrong at any moment. I'm pleasantly surprised when they don't. :-)

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i did and do back up, redundantly in fact, but some of my newer processing was lost, along with a set of JFI Lab converters in C1... i did a clean install of everything else (can't calibrate my monitor any more, though, now that i've been upgraded to Snow Leopard) and was even gifted a free upgrade on an action set i own who's installer no longer worked.

    after losing three months of photos back in 2007 due to hard drive failure on a brand new drive, my images are backed up and backed up -- i learned my lesson. did i say i back up? never got those images back, as the cost was too extreme... still have the drive, though. maybe someday.
    Hmm. Sounds like your backup policy isn't stringent enough.

    I run the backup every time I move data from card to computer, before erasing the cards. I've had two drives go belly-up ... one startup, one data ... in the past five years but my only losses have been about an hour of editing time.

    Why can't you calibrate your monitor running Snow Leopard? (I use an Eye One Display 2, the software was updated last March and is fully compatible with Snow Leopard.)

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    probably not stringent enough, but my most important stuff is and was and always will be. cards are duplicated immediately before erasing... it was the little things i didn't do -- but that has changed. live and learn.

    as for calibration, i have an older Eye One (and, yes, the newest software was installed). i can calibrate colour but not luminance and, since most of my pics are b/w, that's really important to me. i don' know if the fact that i have an older 17" is also a factor... it's driving me a bit mad right now.

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    ... as for calibration, i have an older Eye One (and, yes, the newest software was installed). i can calibrate colour but not luminance and, since most of my pics are b/w, that's really important to me. i don' know if the fact that i have an older 17" is also a factor... it's driving me a bit mad right now.
    Hmm. Why can't you calibrate luminance? I don't understand... Isn't there a brightness control on your 17"? It's been on every MacBook I've seen, triggered by tapping two keys on the keyboard.

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgļe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    it stays way below the recommended "90" mark, even if i bump it up to full.

    (seems pretty dark to me as well, though i've sent images to friends that i thought were too dark and they told me they were fine... i gave up but may try to tackle it again tomorrow. i'm probably being an idiot, but i hate relying on C1 or CS3 to give me correct exposure... sigh.)

    btw, thank you for pushing me to get the 25/1.4 for my E1 -- even if it has been kidnapped, lovingly, by my other... it *is* a luscious lens!
    Last edited by cam; 1st November 2010 at 14:48. Reason: eta

  40. #40
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    I used one in the store and liked it a lot, especially the 11" model. My brother picked one up and loves it: http://bijansabet.com/post/142351279...#disqus_thread

    My only criticism is the battery life. If a sub-$400 Eee-PC can have a 10-hour battery life, then there's little excuse for Apple to put a 5-hour battery in the 11" Air. Apple set the battery life standard high with the iPad, and I think they need to step up with the Air battery life, even if it means making it slightly less airy.

    Facetime for Mac brings up another Apple pet peeve of mine. They drop support for old OSX versions too fast. Facetime requires 10.6.4. One of my Macs is happily running 10.5.8, and I find it hard to believe that they couldn't create a Facetime app with a little backwards compatibility.

  41. #41
    meilicke
    Guest

    Re: Face Time - and macbook air

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Facetime for Mac brings up another Apple pet peeve of mine. They drop support for old OSX versions too fast. Facetime requires 10.6.4. One of my Macs is happily running 10.5.8, and I find it hard to believe that they couldn't create a Facetime app with a little backwards compatibility.
    I agree with you. Either it is a draconian marketing ploy to get you to upgrade, or it is all of their new technologies that get baked into the OS vs. the apps. Think all of the 'core' technologies.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •