The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

some early MBA problems surfacing....

LJL

Just noticed a posting on MacRumors about some problems with displays, kernel panics, and crashes on a few of the new MacBook Air laptops. Preliminary diagnoses are suggesting issues with the logic board. Appears to be happening on some 11" and 13", even with the 4GB RAM options. Just worth being prepared for, maybe.

Here is a link to the report and a video of what things may look like:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/02/new-macbook-airs-experiencing-logic-board-issues/

LJ

jonoslack

Saw this....oh well, $&) happens. 14 day return can come in handy.
Hi there. I read that too. Since mine hasn't arrived yet I can't comment. The question is, of course, whether it's a design problem or just faults ( inevitable that there will be some of those).

blimey

I bought 2 13" MBA, one being the base model and other is the ultimate model.
I am fortunate, I do not have this problem.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
My wife's MBA has paniced once. I'm not surprised given how new the hardware platform is and undoubtedly will have a few kernel bugs associated with it.

jonoslack

HI There
Well, I've had a fully loaded 13" MBA (i.e. 256gb 4gb 2.13Ghz) for a few weeks now.
I've not had a kernel panic, and I have been hammering it.
Running Windows 7 and XP in VMware and Aperture, all at the same time :eek: together with all the normal stuff.

It certainly seems snappier than my 13"MBP, the battery life is great, and it's generally a lovely thing to use, and to travel with.

comes from here thoroughly recommended.

JCT

Three business trips with my 11" MBA so far -- without a hitch. Unless you count the joy of carrying my computer in my handbag a "hitch". ;)

Great piece of gear.

JT

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
No problems here with the 2.13Ghz 4GB 256GB SSD MBA 13.3 either. I miss the illuminated keys but so far no panics have occurred with daily use.

The only problem I've found with it so far is that it now has me considering swapping out my iPad for an 11" MBA. ;)

wyip

I think these issues were supposed to be fixed in 10.6.5 or maybe a separate update. Does anyone know if these issues are still around after the last batch of Apple updates? I'm thinking about getting a 11" MBA for my wife for x-mas.

jonoslack

I think these issues were supposed to be fixed in 10.6.5 or maybe a separate update. Does anyone know if these issues are still around after the last batch of Apple updates? I'm thinking about getting a 11" MBA for my wife for x-mas.
Mine's been great - no issues - just great. (13")

kevinparis

sitting very happy with a 11 inch MBA... 1.6/4/128.

As a former Apple employee who had access to all the latest toys for the last 10 years I can say that this is the best balance of power and portability yet.

it is the perfect fit for the travelling photographer... it will never be your only computer... but it will do all I would ever want to do on the road...import, sort, view,edit and upload. I went to the US recently with a first generation MBA and bought the new machine there... the difference was stunning

it is seriously tiny, faster than you would ever guess... and as for issues... i have seen none at all... battery life is great... sure Aperture hits that hard... but it does on everything i have ever used... Aperture... and I am sure Lightroom too puts big strains on everything on any computer.

forget about bug fix updates... Apple are very good at addressing issues as they come up.... they have too much invested in their brand to screw things up.... these things are seriously flying off the shelves.

there is no perfect computer... but the 11inch MBA is pretty damn close

K

trisberg

Agree 100% with Kevin. 11 inch with same specs and I have not had any problems with it. Works like a charm and is very portable.

The Domke J-803 has a pocket that is a perfect fit for the 11-inch MBA, so it's easy to carry around when I'm out shooting with a small camera outfit.

-Thomas

kevinparis

thanks thomas

11 inch fits one of these too...though just... thin end in first to get it in

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Medium-Camera-Bag.aspx

a very nice everyday/travel bag.... maybe not the most weatherproof... but gulped the MBA, a 5d mk2 with 24-105, ex580, a 35mm, two 85mm's, a 24mm and maybe 2 50mm's,cables chargers etc plus 2 books and some magazines ...plus passport and tickets...oh and an E-p1 with 20mm lens.... maybe that explains my sore shoulder :)

K

Terry

Emotionally I wanted the 11" but all of the specs seemed like the 13" was the sweet spot in pricing for performance so I've got a 13" 1.86, 128gb, 4GB on its way....now you give me pause that I should have gone with the emotion rather than the logic.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A few hours using the high resolution screen on the 13in should sort out the tiny computer emotional attachment :)

kevinparis

terry

my partner in crime went the 13 inch route... and is very happy so far... wanted the greater screen real estate...and doesn't have the big screen big mac pro alternative i have....not to say she cant us it .... but you know what I mean....'personal' sometimes more important than 'computer'

sorry we didn't get up SF way this time....the lure of Maui was too strong... maybe next trip

k

kevinparis

graham

nope... for a very portable machine the 11 inch is fine for me...i can view what looks like 10 pt text fine.

as i said.. the 11 inch will never be my only machine... but i reckon i can do 80% of my daily computing on it.. and a pretty large chunk of my photo work on it

K