The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Geared ball head.

f8orbust

Anyone had a try of one of these. Looks interesting - a ball head with 'geared' movements once the ball is locked down. Only downside appears to be that the Q/R mechanism isn't A/S style-plate-compatible, though I'd imagine you can replace the top clamp with an A/S or RRS one if you wanted. Can't find out much about it off the net.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I didn't have the patience to wait for the video to get to how it actually worked, sorry. I use the Cube and love it, so can state with certainty that having geared movements for pitch and roll adjustments make a head very, very convenient to zero and adjust.

f8orbust

I understand Jack - still, I think it's worth watching the bit that shows the actual 'gearing' in action - looks pretty nice - fast forward to 2:33. I like the idea of the convenience of a ball head with the precision of a geared one. Weight also seems ok - 774g vs 1045g for the cube vs 862g for the RRS BH-55 with clamp.

f8orbust

Try this video as well, it's in dutch (I think), but shows the capabilities of the head almost right away (you may have to fast forward 10 seconds or so if you can't wait).

Godfrey

Anyone had a try of one of these. Looks interesting - a ball head with 'geared' movements once the ball is locked down. Only downside appears to be that the Q/R mechanism isn't A/S style-plate-compatible, though I'd imagine you can replace the top clamp with an A/S or RRS one if you wanted. Can't find out much about it off the net.
Looks interesting to me too. The quickness and simplicity of a ball head combined with the precise positioning of a geared head would be great. And its about the right weight and size class for my equipment.

I'll be interested to look at one when they arrive on the market.