Site Sponsors

Thread: Mac Book Air

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mac Book Air

Has anyone tried running Phocus or C1 on the new Macbook air? Does it pack enough power to process big files?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mac Book Air

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Has anyone tried running Phocus or C1 on the new Macbook air? Does it pack enough power to process big files?
    Not sure about new one, but i do run C1 on top of the line of previous generation , and it works ok for 22mp files

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phocus is really demanding on graphics power. I think that the new Air only has 256MB so it would be very slow. On my 3 year old 15" MBP with 256MB graphics it is close to useless. 512MB seems to be the point where it starts to perform.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MAC BOOK AIR ? ? ?

A beautiful toy for those who already have everything .
    Thats about all which comes into my mind .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    Would love to se a MB Air which can handle SW like Phocus, I really doubt. Run it on my MBPro 1 year old with 4G RAM and it is not really fast.

Peter

PS: Woody, I thought you sold all your Hasselblad and M9 gear for the S2? Did this change already again

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Would love to se a MB Air which can handle SW like Phocus, I really doubt. Run it on my MBPro 1 year old with 4G RAM and it is not really fast.

Peter

PS: Woody, I thought you sold all your Hasselblad and M9 gear for the S2? Did this change already again
    Perhaps instead of increasingly needing hardware to solve for it perhaps the hope would be that the engineers and software developers would work on making the software more efficient .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter

Peter - Nope. A year ago I considered all the options including S2 and Phase One, but decided to stick with M9 and Hasselblad. I've had an H4D-60 on order under H's exchange program since December last year - Foto Care says there is finally one with my name on it in the US on its way here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since I need to run Phocus the video memory issue is a show stopper for me on the macbook air. The reason for starting this thread is that my MF kit has grown to backbreaking weight so I'm looking for other places to shave pounds.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter
    HI Peter
    I don't know which MBP you have, but you might be surprised, in my experience the fact of the Flash HD makes more difference than the slower processer. Of course, I'm using Aperture, not Phocus, but Aperture is a bit of a beast, and my library is well over 50,000 images. I find myself using the MBP with it a lot because it's so convenient, and with the screen realestate of a 15"MBP it knocks my 9 month old 13"MBP into a cocked hat (Emma's cocked hat to be precise )

Certainly worth trying one out, but I think you DO need it to be fully loaded.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No experience with C1 or Phocus, but I did a little test with one at the Apple store by exporting raw files (Canon and Aptus) to a 1200p jpeg. Since I have no idea how to use Aperture it seemed like a fair comparison. What I found was that across the board, a 17" 2.8g i7 with 4g ram was a little less than half the speed (i.e. took twice as long) as a Mac Pro 2.8 Quad Core with 3g of ram. In the test of converting about 20 Aptus 22MP files to jpegs, the Macbook Air (13", maxed configuration) was about half the speed of the Macbook Pro or a bit slower (1/4 the speed of the Mac Pro with no ram).

On the Aptus files, the Mac Pro took about 1 min, the Macbook Pro was a bit over 2 min and the Macbook Air was a little shy of 5 min. I didn't run the test of converting 100 5DII files on the Air because I ran out of patience.

Whether you think this test is useful or valid is entirely up to you. All these machines and files can be found at any Apple store, try it yourself and see what you think.

To be honest, it didn't really answer any questions for me, but I was really surprised how much faster the Mac Pro was, even with only 3g of ram. If the Macbook Air had USB 3 (for external drives) I would probably buy one and a Mac Pro. Right now I think I am going to hold out and see whether the Sandbridge chips show up in Macbook Pros early next year.

If you have not played with a new Macbook Air, you really should. It is an impressive machine for what it is and already I have seen more of them in the wild than I ever saw of the original Airs.

I have a big trip scheduled for Belize next year and I think in a perfect world I would shoot it with a Leica M9, 4x5 film and a 13" Macbook Air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    MAC BOOK AIR ? ? ?

A beautiful toy for those who already have everything .
    Thats about all which comes into my mind .
    Not travellin' much, are you? I am doing transatlantic/transpacific hops every couple months, sometime more often, and do domestic flying/driving a lot. Air is fairly good replacement for most of stuff in the field, when you dont need tethering, and need to get results out fast, and trying to reduce some weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot contribute to the AIR discussion but i will say that my i7 17" MBP, with 512MB VRAM 8GBRAM, and SSD is quite fast for a laptop. I mean sure - my desktop will always be faster. But as far as laptops go, it's totally acceptable.

I open Phocus 2.5 up, shoot, it's on the laptop in just a few seconds. I import, manipulate and export no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the Mac Book Air can't cut the mustard, but what can? Is there anything out there that's really compact and really light, can run Phocus and can cut the mustard?

Post Thanks / Like

Power or Weight/Size

pick one MBP's really aren't that big. Have you held one?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    OK, the Mac Book Air can't cut the mustard, but what can? Is there anything out there that's really compact and really light, can run Phocus and can cut the mustard?
    Why are you sure that it can't cut the mustard? I rather felt that the opposite had been suggested.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post
    Power or Weight/Size

pick one MBP's really aren't that big. Have you held one?
    HI There
    I have a 17"MBP with 8gb RAM and an SSD, and it's certainly faster than the 13MBA, but it's not that much faster - certainly not so much faster that I'm noticing it in normal work with Aperture / VMware etc. (hungry programs all).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phocus has its own performance issue - as pointed out above Phocus's performance is sensitive to the amount of video memory because it offloads a portion of the processing to the video card. If you don't have at least 512 mb video memory it moves like a snail. I had to upgrade the video card on my desktop for Phocus.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    To be honest, it didn't really answer any questions for me, but I was really surprised how much faster the Mac Pro was, even with only 3g of ram. If the Macbook Air had USB 3 (for external drives) I would probably buy one and a Mac Pro. Right now I think I am going to hold out and see whether the Sandbridge chips show up in Macbook Pros early next year.
    I can speak from personal experience that Capture One and Aperture scale nearly linearly across multiple cores when processing JPGs and close to linear when processing TIFFs. So an 8 core mac will go nearly 2 times faster than a 4 core iMac or 4 times faster than a 2-core MacBookPro. Play generously with those numbers as you change ram/disk-speed/cpu-clock-speed, but that's the general idea.

An informed user on LL said last month that Phocus also makes good use of multiple cores.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm using a 15" MBP with 512MB video memory, 8Gb memory and a 7200RPM disk. It's ok for me when travelling but I don't shoot tethered so can't speak to that. I do get to spend time watching the little wheel spin as I move around an image at 100%. So I guess that your mustard variety would be a deciding factor. Do you have a friendly Mac shop handy?
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Why are you sure that it can't cut the mustard? I rather felt that the opposite had been suggested.
    Perhaps I missed the confirmation that the Mac Book Air can cut the mustard when using Phocus?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by symbolphoto View Post
    MBP's really aren't that big. Have you held one?
    Yup, but I'm looking for smaller and lighter, hence my interest in Air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    I'm using a 15" MBP with 512MB video memory, 8Gb memory and a 7200RPM disk. It's ok for me when travelling but I don't shoot tethered so can't speak to that. I do get to spend time watching the little wheel spin as I move around an image at 100%. So I guess that your mustard variety would be a deciding factor. Do you have a friendly Mac shop handy?
    Tethering isn't an issue for me either.

Thanks, I guess for Phocus a 15" MBP is about as small and light as it gets while retaining an acceptable level of performance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps I missed the confirmation that the Mac Book Air can cut the mustard when using Phocus?
    Ahhh . . . maybe I missed the confirmation that it couldn't!

As far as I can see looking at this thread, nobody here has even tried it. which is hardly a write off.
    Our 13" MBA is certainly faster with Aperture than our (admittedly nearly 2 year old) 15"MBP with a 7200 drive and 4Gb RAM, no question.
    We were actually considering whether to replace this 15"MBP, and decided that the only way of getting noticeably better performance was to get one of the newer i5 models, and then putting in 8Gb RAM and an SSD (as we have with our 17"MBPs) - but that'll cost you nearly twice the price of the 13", and it'll weigh about twice as much as well.

Although the 256 video memory may be the killer for phocus?

If you actually want something small, then I think you should try it out before dismissing it. Don't you?
    Last edited by jonoslack; 1st December 2010 at 13:06.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    I can speak from personal experience that Capture One and Aperture scale nearly linearly across multiple cores ... So an 8 core mac will go nearly 2 times faster than a 4 core iMac or 4 times faster than a 2-core MacBookPro.
    Such a shame that Lightroom and Photoshop won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Not travellin' much, are you? I am doing transatlantic/transpacific hops every couple months, sometime more often, and do domestic flying/driving a lot. Air is fairly good replacement for most of stuff in the field, when you dont need tethering, and need to get results out fast, and trying to reduce some weight.
    SergeiR

Yes , right , I am not travelling much .
    I use a MAC BOOK PRO 15" and am convinced that this LAPTOP is much better equipped regarding GC , BATTERY , RAM and SYSTEMDISK , FW than the Airbook .
    Mine has a NVIDIA Geforce 9400M GC and PHOCUS runs fine with it .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------