Site Sponsors

Thread: RRS BH-30 or Markins Q3T

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RRS BH-30 or Markins Q3T

I hope everyone is having a great Christmas.

I wanted to get some thoughts on a new head for my GT1550T. I know the Markins is a rather popular combo, but it's base and weight seem a little high for this combo. Has anyone tried the BH-30 and what did you think of it? Would I be making a mistake choosing it over the Q3T, or is there another head you'd recommend instead?

Thanks,
    Charles
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RRS BH-30 or Markins Q3T

I've never used the BH-30, but used to have a BH-40 which I thought was a very good ballhead. The BH-30 seems to have the same features as the larger heads in a smaller package.

The RRS website shows the BH-30 mounted on what looks like your tripod: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...with-LR&key=it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stephen,

Thanks for your thoughts. I completely missed the shots of it mounted on the tripod. It's a slightly different model, but close enough. I'm not wild about the bulge on the side, still I think this is the one. Everyone loves their RRS gear.

I was reading the tripod thread in the MF forum and it just reminded me I should keep this setup fairly light and compact. If I need anything more robust I'll need both a new head and legs. Just need to wait until after Christmas to make sure I didn't get anything.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check out the Photoclam as well. I have the RRS 40 and the comparable model is just as good at alot less money. Here is a link to the web site;
    http://reallybigcameras.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks. I took a look at Photoclam but the base size was rather small and since I'm only in the US for a couple weeks I decided to buy something that I was a little more sure of. I couldn't find many reviews of Photoclam.

Ended up with a RSS BH-30 and a number of plates for different cameras. Decided to go with the smaller base size which is a better fit for my tripod I think although I'm wondering about the bulge in back. Less hassle with the clamp too. Looking forward to having it delivered in a couple days.
    Charles - flickr