Site Sponsors

Thread: New Iphone

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Iphone

Okay i have one today and July 11th a new one is coming. Should I buy the new one and why. I read some things but still did not read it all. I saw the words faster internet and that was all I needed to hear. What else
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Iphone

faster email retrieval. third party applications from itunes store.

dlew308

3G network, and I think more GPS goodies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess we can't pre-order this
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I believe that Apple plans a rebate/trade-up option, so keep your eyes open for that too. The details of the rebate were not announced at first, but it was said that this option would be available to current iPhone owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Guy, I believe that Apple plans a rebate/trade-up option, so keep your eyes open for that too. The details of the rebate were not announced at first, but it was said that this option would be available to current iPhone owners.
    That would be nice . I got pretty beat up with the Iphone when it came out than they lowered the price . Be nice to get a break for once. LOL

What I did notice was a 2 year extension on your contract. That part I do NOT like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    first the plan will be $10 more as the data is going from $20 to $30 for unlited use. I feel this is still very reasonable. From everything I've read, yes you will have to re-up your plan for two years but it starts right away not a year from now when your first two year contract ends so in reality you are only signing on for an extra year.

Supposedly better battery life which for me would be nice since I can kill mine in a day with no problem.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay i have one today and July 11th a new one is coming. Should I buy the new one and why. I read some things but still did not read it all. I saw the words faster internet and that was all I needed to hear. What else
    Hi Guy
    you'll get 3G internet speed and GPS, all the new software will be available on your existing phone.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well looks like I will get one than it is worth it for the internet speed. Gotta keep a eye on this site, I maybe to slow one day and you will bump me out. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am still on the fence,
    the major feature for me might be the gps capability, but that depends on access to gpx track-logs and geocaching capabilities. So far, no specs.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm definitely not on the fence. I want my mail to be push mail. For my usage it is much nicer. I also use the web a lot so fast = much better for me. In financial services most firms have blocked access to any personal email and other web based things so an iPhone is handy during the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How many carriers in the US have GSM?

On the push email, I have a friend that uses a Treo and he says he often gets co-workers saying " Didn't you get the email I sent about it?" He replies, I don't spend every minute of the day checking email when out of the office. A lot of people think because you have a PDA type phone, email comes up instantly like on a Blackberry. The push email may help sales of the iPhone to Blackberry type clients.

Robert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The two big GSM firms are AT&T and T-Mobile

On the current iPhone there really isn't a big delay as the phone will go out and check for mail at set intervals. However, each time it checks it blocks the iPhone and sometimes while it is going out to the server to check mail and someone is calling the call will go to voicemail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should set an auto responder that replies automatically:
    "I may or may not have received your email. If you sent an email I assume that it must not be all that that important since the media is not inherently reliable nor timely.
    If you think that your message is important enough to galvanize me into action, you may call my answering machine and leave a message. Otherwise you may call me directly if you have my personal number."
    This works pretty well for me :-)
    -bob

dlew308

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/23890

Makes me not want to rush out and get one now.....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I succumbed to the lure of the new 3G IPhone Friday. I was in the mall and saw that they were in stock and had a very short line at the Apple store.

I was on T-Mobile using a Wing which is the Windows Mobile touch phone that they have. The touch interface is terrible and the internet is very slow on their Edge network. Signal coverage has been good for the phone and so has customer service.

Now comes the IPhone, with push email, good IPod capability for music and movies, a great touch user interface, it will sync and play nice with my Mac (T-Mobile tech support knows virtually nothing about a Mac and Windows Mobile doesn't play well on syncing information on the Mac), GPS that works very nicely and shows locations of friends who also have the phone, and most importantly for me has a reasonably fast internet access which shows web pages well (except for flash - which is a problem).

I upgraded from a non first generation Iphone and am very happy.

Best,

Ray