The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good time to buy 1st Gen iPad

clark666

Is there any good reason to buy an iPAD 2? The blackberry playbook will allow tethering with a cell phone, but the iPAD 2 just offers a faster processor

Terry

What would be the difference between tethering with a cell phone or doing a personal hot spot? iPhones and other devices can provide Internet access to a wifi iPad. When does the playbook actually arrive?

clark666

I can use my current phone, a Blackberry, to tether. I need to get a new phone to use as a hotspot. I have heard that using a phone as a hotspot uses the battery faster. I don't know whether a Playbook tethered to a 4G phone would work at 4G speeds.

The Playbook is due April 10. The Playbook 4G is due this summer.

Godfrey

Apple is selling refurbished iPads for a pretty good discount.
16GB WiFi models for only $349
Just wanted to share in case anyone hadn't seen that. ...
Good price on a 32G WiFi + 3G model too.

It's situation much like what I went through in October with the Olympus E-5 release. The E-3 was what I was planning to buy when the E-5 came out as I expected prices to drop from their then-current $1200 average to around $900 new, but when I assessed the benefits from the $1700 E-5, I came to the conclusion that the premium for the new model was worth it.

I haven't done the evaluation for the iPad vs iPad 2 yet, but I think the 2 has enough additional benefits to warrant waiting and buying the newer model, on first glance. The faster processor, graphics, thinner form factor, cameras, etc etc are compelling advantages.

I'm not interested in looking at other tablets

a) because sticking with all Apple products for my computing uses guarantees a level of integration and workflow ease that no mix of alternative products does, and

b) because no other tablets have the range of application software available appropriate to my uses, and

c) because I have no desire to learn how to program and build applications for other tablet operating systems. I've already got my project for the iPad nicely spec'ed out and am eager to get started on it, have put in my time learning the software development model, etc.

A first gen iPad would be fine for the work I plan to do at the moment, but the second gen iPad has some new features that might be advantageous to work with, and seems that it will suit my use outside of the project better too. So I am still considering.

D

Devon Shaw

Picked up a 32GB 3G iPad of Craigslist today for $450.
I am tempted by an iPad 2, but for me this is very much still a luxury device and I can't justify spending that much on something I don't know will make me money (motorcycles being an exception).