The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Belt bag for M8 and one lens?

bradhusick

Does anybody have a favorite on-the-belt bag for just an M8 (or other M camera) and one lens, say 50mm or shorter? I am looking for something that can be used like a holster so you can quickly pull the camera out, shoot, and return it to the belt. I know about the plastic holster thingy, but that won't work on a camera that has a case (Luigi) on it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'd be interested as well since I like to keep it minimal.

As an alternative, I have been using the ring-slide type of strap that allows the camera to hang by your side and a lens pouch from Thinktank attached to my belt to hold an extra lens (or two with the glued-lens-cap trick). The strap arrangement allows you to bring the camera to eye very smoothly and when not in use, rides easily against your hip. Easy to put on under a jacket for cover and lots better than a strap around your neck in my opinion.

bradhusick

I use that type of sling too. It's great for shorter periods of time, but last summer I used it all over France and found the thin strap a little annoying on my shoulder over the long haul. I am going to add a pad to the strap and see if that helps a little. I actually used two of them with an M8 on either side in San Juan. I think Guy called me "Pancho Villa" because it looked like I had six-shooters on.

Still interested in minimal belt bags...

LJL

While not specifically designed for RF cameras, the sizes are about right, so they will fit. Take a look at the ThinkTankPhoto Digital Holster 10 for the holster idea. This may still be a bit large, but it would hold an M and lens without any problem, and can be attached to a belt. (I use one of the larger ones for my 1DsMkII with 24-70 lens on it and it works perfectly.)

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_DH_compare.html

For something a little less obvious, but accommodating, and able to be used on a belt or as a small shoulder bag, check out there Urban Disguise 10 bag:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_UD_compare.html

Again, most of their gear was designed with bigger DSLRs in mind, but some of the smaller bags and stuff would work nicely for a Leica and a few lenses. With a Luigi case on the Leica, the fit may be even better. Just a thought.

LJ

bradhusick

I think I found the ideal solution. I looked at all the ThinkTank bags and they were either too big, too small, or opened on the wrong side. The Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini ($19.95) fits the M8 and a lens perfectly, with room for up to a 75mm or 90mm lens, plus accessories in the front pocket. Here are some pics of this very compact bag with belt loops...

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
In between this original thread and the time I attended the GetDPI meet-up in NYC, I bought a belt and bag by ThinkTank called the "Skin Chimp Cage Pop-Down". Enough people commented on how much they liked it so I thought I'd post a reference to it here.

The picture (grabbed directly from the website) shows the same configuration I have. Namely the new (sold separately) "Skin Belt" and the bag itself. The bag has a lot of very nice features that come in handy.

Zippered flat compartment on outside flap easily holds a cell phone or batteries, filters, notebook, etc.; Another compartment under the flap expands to hold bulkier items; the inside has movable spacers and easily holds the M8 with lens mounted plus back-to-back mounted additional lenses; the zipper at the bottom of the case allows the bottom to drop down so it can accommodate a pretty long lens (my 70-200 VR fits just fine); a built in pull-out rain cover for extra protection; and a cool way to silence the velcro flap fastener.

I found it really comfortable around my waist with the M8 around my neck. Others felt they would prefer a more traditional shoulder strap arrangement that would use the two loops at the top of the bag.

I am now (finally) in love with a bag. The stack of discarded and divorced bags in my office look all the more pitiful in comparison.

Enjoy!
Tim