Site Sponsors

Thread: Belt bag for M8 and one lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Belt bag for M8 and one lens?

Does anybody have a favorite on-the-belt bag for just an M8 (or other M camera) and one lens, say 50mm or shorter? I am looking for something that can be used like a holster so you can quickly pull the camera out, shoot, and return it to the belt. I know about the plastic holster thingy, but that won't work on a camera that has a case (Luigi) on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Belt bag for M8 and one lens?

I'd be interested as well since I like to keep it minimal.

As an alternative, I have been using the ring-slide type of strap that allows the camera to hang by your side and a lens pouch from Thinktank attached to my belt to hold an extra lens (or two with the glued-lens-cap trick). The strap arrangement allows you to bring the camera to eye very smoothly and when not in use, rides easily against your hip. Easy to put on under a jacket for cover and lots better than a strap around your neck in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use that type of sling too. It's great for shorter periods of time, but last summer I used it all over France and found the thin strap a little annoying on my shoulder over the long haul. I am going to add a pad to the strap and see if that helps a little. I actually used two of them with an M8 on either side in San Juan. I think Guy called me "Pancho Villa" because it looked like I had six-shooters on.

Still interested in minimal belt bags...

Post Thanks / Like

While not specifically designed for RF cameras, the sizes are about right, so they will fit. Take a look at the ThinkTankPhoto Digital Holster 10 for the holster idea. This may still be a bit large, but it would hold an M and lens without any problem, and can be attached to a belt. (I use one of the larger ones for my 1DsMkII with 24-70 lens on it and it works perfectly.)

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_DH_compare.html

For something a little less obvious, but accommodating, and able to be used on a belt or as a small shoulder bag, check out there Urban Disguise 10 bag:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_UD_compare.html

Again, most of their gear was designed with bigger DSLRs in mind, but some of the smaller bags and stuff would work nicely for a Leica and a few lenses. With a Luigi case on the Leica, the fit may be even better. Just a thought.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I found the ideal solution. I looked at all the ThinkTank bags and they were either too big, too small, or opened on the wrong side. The Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini ($19.95) fits the M8 and a lens perfectly, with room for up to a 75mm or 90mm lens, plus accessories in the front pocket. Here are some pics of this very compact bag with belt loops...
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brad:

Does your wife put a customs seal on the bar to make sure you don't get into it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good eyes! It's for child-proofing. I have the key to the wine cellar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In between this original thread and the time I attended the GetDPI meet-up in NYC, I bought a belt and bag by ThinkTank called the "Skin Chimp Cage Pop-Down". Enough people commented on how much they liked it so I thought I'd post a reference to it here.

The picture (grabbed directly from the website) shows the same configuration I have. Namely the new (sold separately) "Skin Belt" and the bag itself. The bag has a lot of very nice features that come in handy.

Zippered flat compartment on outside flap easily holds a cell phone or batteries, filters, notebook, etc.; Another compartment under the flap expands to hold bulkier items; the inside has movable spacers and easily holds the M8 with lens mounted plus back-to-back mounted additional lenses; the zipper at the bottom of the case allows the bottom to drop down so it can accommodate a pretty long lens (my 70-200 VR fits just fine); a built in pull-out rain cover for extra protection; and a cool way to silence the velcro flap fastener.

I found it really comfortable around my waist with the M8 around my neck. Others felt they would prefer a more traditional shoulder strap arrangement that would use the two loops at the top of the bag.

I am now (finally) in love with a bag. The stack of discarded and divorced bags in my office look all the more pitiful in comparison.

Enjoy!
    Tim