The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac running Windows...

Terry

I'm trying to help out a friend who needs a new computer. Plan on getting a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Will run everything in OS X except for one application that is Windows only. This application will be used for uploading data on-line.

Which of the software solutions is best to handle this? Fusion, Parallels? Boot Camp (I thought was going away) When I say best, which one is the least hassle from needing all the other virus scanning firewall crud you need with Windows?

Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I use Fusion for the one Win XP program I need and it works perfectly. You do need a regular copy of Win OS to load inside Fusion. Once that's done, launch Fusion, then launch Win -- and do all the updates -- and you have it running in a normal window inside Leopard. With my machine, XP seems to run as fast or faster than it did on my last dedicated PC machine, and the program I run inside it is transparent to the change. As for Win firewall, if all they are doing is uploading to the net and not downloading anything and not using email, then I doubt they'll need any virus or firewall. OTOH, if they plan to download or use email, then they'll need to take all of the typical PC firewall and virus precautions...

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Jack,
Instead of buying a new copy, I assume that he can use the windows serial number from the dead laptop?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack,
Instead of buying a new copy, I assume that he can use the windows serial number from the dead laptop?
I'm not sure Terry. I had an XP cd with serial number and used that. I assume you could use a serial number from a discarded laptop if you un-registered that copy from that machine first.

etrigan63

That all depends on the license of Windows. Most laptops & PCs come with an OEM license of Windows which is tied to the machine it was installed on. If the laptop maker was generous, they would have provided a regular Windows install CD, however, most have a pre-configured "ghost" image with all of the drivers and bloatware already installed.

One advantage of using Fusion over Codeweavers is that once the VM is setup, shut it down and make a backup of the vm files for future use. They compress very well and if you mess up the working copy, just unpack and overwrite the messed up version.

Terry

Thanks Carlos,
Seems silly that we would have to buy a new version of Windows when it is simply a hardware issue on the old machine. Arrgh. I see that you can get Windows XP (don't want Vista) home edition for about $180 at MacMall and Amazon. I am going to do some more searches and see if this is my friend's best option.

Anyone knows a cheaper way to get a legitimate copy of XP I'm all ears.

etrigan63

OK I should clarify this. OEM licenses of Windows are legally tied to the machines they are installed on. If the laptop has a Windows install CD, there is nothing technically stopping you from installing it in a VM. There is a provision in the licensing for p2v (physical to virtual) conversion.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
I had remembering seeing an XP home or pro, not sure which [and I know the difference] at Tigerdirect.com or Buy.com a couple of weeks ago for like $139-169, don't know if it is still valid....fwiw..