The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting ready for 3g Iphone

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not me I will do a drive by at the AT&T store at 7 am and if there is a line more than 5 folks i will keep driving. Waiting in line for a phone is not my cup of tea.
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Uh huh, right......

LJL

Well folks, get out your patience for the v2.0 update on the older iPhones. I tried the update this morning. Took about 10 tries to get it to download, all the while having the iTunes part tell me that my v1.1.4 was the most current. (Not a good sign to start.) Finally got things rolling with the software and firmware, and then bam, iPhone got bricked. Connection to the iTunes Store could not be made to complete the update. Apple Servers crashed. Nothing to do but wait with the little bricked iPhone until things come back to life. Cnet even posted a blog item about same thing with some adds....like Apple shutting off phone support at their help desk because they got swamped. Not encouraging.

I guess the sort of good news is that there are a lot of users. The downside is that even Apple cannot handle the volume of calls, update requests, etc., for all the devices already out the, let alone the newer ones trying to come online today.

So, let's hope they get this sorted. In the meantime, be prepared to not get the update download, or to get it and then have you iPhone bricked when you cannot complete the update through the iTunes Store. Time for another cup of coffee and a deep breath.

LJ

D

dlew308

yea not sure they have the capacity to support all the global users wanting to update at the same time

harmsr

Workshop Member
I'm actually going to be intelligent for once, and wait a few weeks for all the congestion and bugs to be out of the way before I go buy the new iphone and change providers.:lecture::angel:

WOW!!!! That actually felt good to say, that I was going to resist and not be the first guinea pig.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Ray

Terry

Well the Fifth Avenue Apple store still had a 3 hour wait at 11PM. They needed to shut down selling iPhones at 2AM for AT&T systems maintenance would would not allow activations. So, seeing as I wasn't going to wait 3 hours and be at the front of the line just in time for a 3 hour shut down, there was no way I was waiting.

So, I went home and did the 2.0 upgrade to my existing iPhone. Looks like they've solved the overload as my backup and activation went without a hitch. It took about 30 minutes for the whole process.....at which time I downloaded Super Monkey Ball. OK I'm getting old I sort of s*ck at these games. I think I need to upload Pong or Ms Packman next to have a bit of nostalgia.

So, while we all b*tch about today's process, just rewind the clock back to last July when all the iphones went on sale....even though you could do it at home, the systems still had problems coping.

JimCollum

managed to upgrade my iphone to 2.0.. well worth the upgrade.. some of the app's are great!

(although it did become a brick for half the day as a result)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I second Jim's post
The 2.0 SW is a large functional improvement.
(Also allows the configuration of gmail is email server and allows now a different smtp server which is a real benefit for those who NEED a specific from address)
-bob

Terry

For those who like music and find themselves listening to a song and wanting to know the artist or title, Shazam in the apps store is incredible. Put it up to the music source for a few seconds and it located artist, song and album.... And then of course you can buy it from iTunes. Awesome application!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I am into FREE apps . What is cool out there , spent enough damn money on this thing. i did buy Monkey Ball , pretty cool.

Finally also i got the Iphone up running and working but I had my share of issues because when I bought at the AT&T store there was confusion with my phone some other guy goy it and they had to do a exchange and replace deal and wiped everything out almost. I had no phone part because they had the wrong Sim number in there . Voice Mail was knocked off , have that back now. My kids could not text mail because they blew off my unlimited texting for them, so overall rating for At&T and Apple the last couple days was a major issue. Everything seems to be back to normal for both of them. So i think it is safe to go buy one now. I also found a way on Mobile Me to bring in One Pop account into it, which is nice I can have my Cox account on the net in mobile me to see and reply with. Not always easy to do on the road the normal way but having it on Mobile me will help there.