The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PC & CS5 Install problems

gurtch

Today I installed a new PC to handle the big files from the Pentax 645D camera. My old PC was XP; the new one is Windows 7 64 bit. I deactivated CS5 before installing the new PC. I tried to install CS5 (upgrade) from original disks, entered the serial number, and was told the number was correct, but could not find a "qualifying product". Driving me nuts: not exagerating, I think I have original disks for Photoshop 2, 3, 4, 5, etc, etc, etc. In those days you got a free upgrade disk in the mail that were 3.3.1., 3.3.2, 3.3.3 etc, (I have all of them). Adobe is driving a 74 year old guy nuts. Any advice?
Dave Gurtcheff
www.moernpictorials.com

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I think it's looking for the previous version of CS (3?, 4?) that was upgraded to CS5. If you have the discs for that previous version, you might try installing them on the new PC and then retry your upgrade to CS5. I can't remember if it asks you to point to the former version or if it searches your drives itself. Either way, if your previous version is there before you run the upgrade, it should work.

If you don't have the discs but have the old PC, you can try some of the various methods of copying the old system to the new and include your old application files which would result in the same thing as above.

This is just a guess, I'm a MAC guy so not sure if same rules apply in windows world.

Tim

engel001

Dave, If your install discs aren't asking for a previous (CS2-CS4) serial number, try downloading the CS5 installation file from the Adobe website (assuming you have a good internet connection). I did that recently and it worked well. There should be no need for you to physically install any previous versions. -Christopher

Don Libby

If CS5 was an upgrade (mine is from CS4) then all you'll need to do is insert your CS4 disk in the machine long enought for it to read it then all should be okay. This works on Mac & PC