The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Distro D5

Don Libby

Decided to give laser ranger finding another try and ordered at D5. I had attempted using a laser shortly after I converted to a tech camera and had disastrous results with the bright southwest sunshine. Not with the D5! While I still can't see where the dot is by looking for it I can see it on the small screen on the D5. I can see using this with great results on targets closer than 25' especially when I want to layer stack the focus points.

Just thought I'd share the news...

Don

alajuela

Decided to give laser ranger finding another try and ordered at D5. I had attempted using a laser shortly after I converted to a tech camera and had disastrous results with the bright southwest sunshine. Not with the D5! While I still can't see where the dot is by looking for it I can see it on the small screen on the D5. I can see using this with great results on targets closer than 25' especially when I want to layer stack the focus points.

Just thought I'd share the news...

Don

Hi Don
Without sounding too anal, When you figure the distance, you use the plane of the sensor? I have Rodenstocks and Cambo, so I do not have the alpa rings (the lens have T/S), but I am hoping this gives me puts me in the ball park. I really have not have such good luck with live LV. I have an IQ back.
Thanks in advance for your advice
Best
Phil

jagsiva

Don, totally agree, I currently use the D5. My dealer is so wonderful that when I purchased my Arca eons ago, he gave it to me as a loaner until the eModule (yes that is how long ago it was, now we have moved on to the eModule Cloud) came in. Well pigs are flying, and my eModule Cloud is likely next week. After playing with a production version last week, I am super impressed with what it can do. Having said this, I love the D5, and am going to buy it regardless of the EMC. It is a great backup, and the screen provides a great alternative to looking for the damn dot in sunlight. I think it is especially useful on the arca given the focusing strategy employed, and not knowing first hand, but I would expect the same level of usefulness when using HPF rings - no point in knowing distances to multiple points of accuracy if you cannot set it on the lens.

I also find it extremely useful with a couple of different DoF and HFD apps for iPhone/iPad.

I am also looking forward to using it on the golf course this year, I think my game has suffered tremendously due to the lack of accuracy of my current SkyCaddie :):)

Hope Guy doesn't see this, there will be a run on D5's given the multiple usage scenarios!

jagsiva

Hi Don
Without sounding too anal, When you figure the distance, you use the plane of the sensor? I have Rodenstocks and Cambo, so I do not have the alpa rings (the lens have T/S), but I am hoping this gives me puts me in the ball park. I really have not have such good luck with live LV. I have an IQ back.
Thanks in advance for your advice
Best
Phil
Forgive me if I have misunderstood your question. The Disto 5 allows you to measure from the front of the device or the rear. There is a small flap that you can align on the baseplate where your DB mounts, or just a couple of mm behind (if you're super anal), and take your measurement. I have mine set to feet and it is bang on.

alajuela

Forgive me if I have misunderstood your question. The Disto 5 allows you to measure from the front of the device or the rear. There is a small flap that you can align on the baseplate where your DB mounts, or just a couple of mm behind (if you're super anal), and take your measurement. I have mine set to feet and it is bang on.
Thanks, I meant where to line up against the camera, I will try your suggestion

Thanks

Phil,