Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lion compatibility or <fail/>

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lion compatibility or <fail/>

Another detail I discovered today is that if the "re-open all windows to the state they were before" behavior on starting an app in Lion bugs you, you can use the Option key to discard all currently open windows on Quit. This is great if you are quitting Safari or Photoshop and have half a dozen windows open, and DON'T want them to reopen automatically the next time you open the application. (Safari loads FAR faster when you use this option, even if you only have one window open when you quit it.)

I believe the same is true for Shut Down and Restart ... just hold the option key down and the confirmation dialog doesn't appear, and application/window states are not saved. The OS shuts down and starts up faster this way.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is a great tip. I actually globally turned it off but being selective about it is better.

This is one area where Apple could really improve. They are amazing at telling you about the "big things" that they want to highlight but there are so many little details in the operating system that there is no simple way to learn. I've learned many just by word of mouth but for the most part I feel like I don't know what I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

>I actually globally turned it off but being selective about it is better.

How did you do this?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

System Preferences --> General --> Third pane down:

Uncheck restore windows when quitting and reopenings

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    System Preferences --> General --> Third pane down:

Uncheck restore windows when quitting and reopenings
    +1

Yes, there are many many details and nuances in Mac OS X. Finding them all on your own is simply impossible. This is why there's a good aftermarket for books like "Mac OS X - The Missing Manual" and others.

I usually find them when I'm discussing things with my friends and colleagues at Apple engineering. There are a boatload of little options and nuances that never get into even these books!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The release of Capture 1 6.3 resolves all the Lion incompatibilities I had discovered and is what will compel me to un-stick this thread.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Any new "Printer-problems" known wit Lion ?? HP9180 still supported ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not that I know of.
    In general, printer drivers that worked with Snow Leopard work with Lion.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Epson has at minimum for the 4800 and 9600 new printer drivers for Lion.
    rem

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I decided to wait a bit before upgrading to 'Lion', so as to see if the sort of comments reported here would be reported!!

Perhaps I'll wait a bit longer to after the first update!

Bob, I use Moneydance with Snow Leopard and it works well but then I am just using it for the usual everyday home finance, credit card and investments tracking stuff. i don't need it for business accounts, VAT etc.
    Over the week-end I decided to try Lion on my little 13" Macbook Pro first before putting it on my iMac. There is not much in photo editing software on the Macbook Pro so I thought that it might be a safer bet.

No problems except that 3.75 Gb is a big download!

Generally a good update with a much cleaner email interface although I still haven't mastered sending to multiple recipients from the address book....it seems to just want to send a new email to each recipient, it just can't be right so I will persevere...the "help" button doesn't!

I still need to check some PS plug-ins before changing to Lion on my iMac though. I understand that On-One plug ins are causing some bother and I need to check Nik plug ins, particularly Silver Efex Pro and then Moneydance before I take the final plunge.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    ... Generally a good update with a much cleaner email interface although I still haven't mastered sending to multiple recipients from the address book....it seems to just want to send a new email to each recipient, it just can't be right so I will persevere...the "help" button doesn't! ...
    If you're working in "full view" mode, options are limited although you can always just start to type a name in the To field and Mail will assemble names into the to field from the Address Book one at a time. Close one after another with the comma character, Mail will stay in the To field and be ready for the next input. In windowed view mode, Mail works just like it did in Snow Leopard.

If you regularly send email to a known circle of email addresses, you can also create an Address Book group of them. Type the name of the group and all the email addresses will be inserted into the To field. You can then edit out ones you don't want to include, or append more that are needed.

CooledgeR

Has anyone else had problems running SilverFast ver. 8 software under Lion?
    More importantly, were the problems solved and, if so, how?

Post Thanks / Like

I see in the App Store that we're up to version 10.7.2 of Lion now, but I still see tons of comments that are extremely negative re performance and other issues such as losing TM backups and all manner of other woes.

What's the general feeling on this... is this version of the OS really ready yet? I'm loathe to do the upgrade if it affects my performance negatively.

(I'm running a 27" iMac, 2.93 GHz i7, 16GB RAM with 256GB SSD & 2TB HDD.)

What's your recommendations?

Edit: The main reason I'd like to update is so I can use the iBooks Authoring program.

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 22nd January 2012 at 10:50.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been running Lion since it was released. I run all kinds of oddball sw. Only two things do not work for me: the iMatch software for my Eye One Display 2 and the Olympus Updater. Xrite has replaced iMatch now, and the Oly Updater I no longer need.

Other than that, all the problems I hear about are installation issues or incompatible third party stuff that wasn't written correctly in the first place. There are certainly a few things in Lion I wish they'd left alone .. Like the iCal and Address Book UI .. but beyond that it's been a win for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback Godfrey, that's good to hear. I'm not running anything out of the ordinary software-wise, so hopefully that will be in my favour. I appreciate your reply.

Ciao,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really haven't had any Lion issues. Given the hypothetical choice of Lion or Snow Leopard I certainly wouldn't retreat backward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some of us are even running developer seeds
    So actually it has been pretty stable.
    My issues are related to email from exchange servers through rpc over http tunnels.
    Most apps that had issues were running on previously private apis or were treading on the edge of supported interfaces, or had not yet moved away from apis that apple had deprecated long ago.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Terry & Bob, thanks for your comments too. I still have a few reservations, but I may go ahead and give it a try.

Cheers,