The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lion compatibility or <fail/>

dhsimmonds

That is a good question.
I am looking at that as well as moneydance as possibilities.
I am hoping to finally kill off vmware for me.
Quickbooks for mac is sort-of ok, but quicken is the pits.
-bob
I decided to wait a bit before upgrading to 'Lion', so as to see if the sort of comments reported here would be reported!!:rolleyes:

Perhaps I'll wait a bit longer to after the first update!

Bob, I use Moneydance with Snow Leopard and it works well but then I am just using it for the usual everyday home finance, credit card and investments tracking stuff. i don't need it for business accounts, VAT etc.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It effing figures --- I am certain I was not the only early adopter that had issues, and no doubt the genius bars were flooded and why the rapid fixes. Seriously, I do know my way around an OS and have cloned and migrated many machines, yet I was scratching my head on about a dozen weird issues this time -- I will never, repeat NEVER, migrate to new hardware again unless/until the source is running the same OS. Anyway, I am all good now, but frankly a little [issed at the totally UN-apple way this one went.
Jack,
The early adopters have been running Lion since April LOL
-bob

Terry

I know there have been compatibility problems loading Nik Software products on Lion. Machines updated to Lion with Nik already installed were OK. It was Lion machines with new Nik installs.

Lightroom and Aperture plugins are fine (per the website) and loaded up OK for me on new MacBook Air which came fresh with Lion.

CS5 which was supposed to be the problematic compatibility problem also loaded up fine for me on the new MBA.

Godfrey

I was running some early Lion builds in January-March when I was working on an Apple contract gig, but there were enough issues using it with the tools I needed at that point in time to keep it from being my working platform.

All of those issues have been eliminated now.

emr

Not photo related, but the external audio interface E-mu 0404 USB on my Mini isn't recognized any more under normal Lion. The drivers are 32-bit only, so in order to the E-mu to work, one has to force Lion to work in 32-bit mode. Any idea what kind of performance sacrifices I'll be doing then? Creative's OS X driver supply for audio interfaces isn't something to write home about.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
diskutility gui version cannot verify or repair raid volumes
version:12 (346)
work-around: use terminal
for usage instructions: man diskutil
1) identify disk by:diskutil list
2) verify volume by:diskutil verifyVolume diskn
3) repair volume by: sudo diskutil repairVolume diskn

Godfrey

Not photo related, but the external audio interface E-mu 0404 USB on my Mini isn't recognized any more under normal Lion. The drivers are 32-bit only, so in order to the E-mu to work, one has to force Lion to work in 32-bit mode. Any idea what kind of performance sacrifices I'll be doing then? Creative's OS X driver supply for audio interfaces isn't something to write home about.
Your question piqued my curiosity, so I took a look on the Apple forums and found this exchange:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3225388?start=0&tstart=0

I then tested it with a temporary boot into the 32-bit kernel on my MBP13 with 8G RAM. Everything worked, I didn't find any problems, although there seemed to be some minor reduction in startup performance on applications.

Now remember that my system is clean of all and any 32bit dependency components ... I have been running the 64-bit kernel for several months under Snow Leopard with no problems at all. So I can't say whether your E-mu 0404 USB drivers will be compatible.

If you want to jump direct to the info on how to set things up, the Snow Leopard knowledge base articles seem to still be valid:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3770
They're listed in the forum link above too.

Godfrey

Another detail I discovered today is that if the "re-open all windows to the state they were before" behavior on starting an app in Lion bugs you, you can use the Option key to discard all currently open windows on Quit. This is great if you are quitting Safari or Photoshop and have half a dozen windows open, and DON'T want them to reopen automatically the next time you open the application. (Safari loads FAR faster when you use this option, even if you only have one window open when you quit it.)

I believe the same is true for Shut Down and Restart ... just hold the option key down and the confirmation dialog doesn't appear, and application/window states are not saved. The OS shuts down and starts up faster this way.

Terry

That is a great tip. I actually globally turned it off but being selective about it is better.

This is one area where Apple could really improve. They are amazing at telling you about the "big things" that they want to highlight but there are so many little details in the operating system that there is no simple way to learn. I've learned many just by word of mouth but for the most part I feel like I don't know what I don't know.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I actually globally turned it off but being selective about it is better.

How did you do this?

Terry

System Preferences --> General --> Third pane down:

Uncheck restore windows when quitting and reopenings

Godfrey

System Preferences --> General --> Third pane down:

Uncheck restore windows when quitting and reopenings
+1

Yes, there are many many details and nuances in Mac OS X. Finding them all on your own is simply impossible. This is why there's a good aftermarket for books like "Mac OS X - The Missing Manual" and others.

I usually find them when I'm discussing things with my friends and colleagues at Apple engineering. There are a boatload of little options and nuances that never get into even these books!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The release of Capture 1 6.3 resolves all the Lion incompatibilities I had discovered and is what will compel me to un-stick this thread.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I know of.
In general, printer drivers that worked with Snow Leopard work with Lion.
-bob

dhsimmonds

I decided to wait a bit before upgrading to 'Lion', so as to see if the sort of comments reported here would be reported!!:rolleyes:

Perhaps I'll wait a bit longer to after the first update!

Bob, I use Moneydance with Snow Leopard and it works well but then I am just using it for the usual everyday home finance, credit card and investments tracking stuff. i don't need it for business accounts, VAT etc.
Over the week-end I decided to try Lion on my little 13" Macbook Pro first before putting it on my iMac. There is not much in photo editing software on the Macbook Pro so I thought that it might be a safer bet.

No problems except that 3.75 Gb is a big download!

Generally a good update with a much cleaner email interface although I still haven't mastered sending to multiple recipients from the address book....it seems to just want to send a new email to each recipient, it just can't be right so I will persevere...the "help" button doesn't!

I still need to check some PS plug-ins before changing to Lion on my iMac though. I understand that On-One plug ins are causing some bother and I need to check Nik plug ins, particularly Silver Efex Pro and then Moneydance before I take the final plunge.