The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

looking for dslr advice

back alley

not sure where to put this...

i have a possibly odd request...please consider i know very little about dslr cameras and lenses except from what research i have been doing.

i am normally a rangefinder user and only shoot b&w film.

ok, i have 2 small dogs that move way too fast for my shutter lagged panasonic fz20. my desire for a dslr is to 'catch' my dogs being oh so cute.
i cannot focus my rf gear fast enough and most of my lenses are wide and don't make for those 'running with long hair in the wind' shots.

so far my list of possibilities include the sony a200 with short kit lens. i like it's small size and it's getting very good reviews as an entry level camera.

the most popular camera among my internet dog forum friends is the nikon d40 with kit lens.

i also like the looks of the oly 420 with kit lens.

i think the nikon is the oldest technology and lowest price and the sony is next in line, price wise.

to be honest, i will probably also try using the camera as a street camera at times and might be tempted to get a smaller, faster prime lens.

so, my request is for some feedback from the cognoscenti to help me make a decision.

many thanks for your time.
joe

losta

Nikon D60 would be the modern version of the D40. Also look at Canon Rebel Xsi.
Both have inexpensive kits.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would second what Lisa said --- either of those cameras in kit form are an excellent start option, both have fast AF and excellent metering and imaging characteristics.

Cheers,

helenhill

Hi Joe

the oly 420 is LOVELY
i had it for a short time with a 50 R cron and its was GREAT
spot on & beautiful backgrounds /lovely overall color & tonality
BUT
silly me sold it and did the reverse...... got a rangefinder
Do miss it / never had the opportunity to use the 25 pancake lens (wasn't out yet but seeing some pixs here it looks like a Fab combo)
Best-H :)

woodyspedden

Helen

I am waiting on delivery of a new Nikon D700. I will also probably get a D3 at some point (don't ask why! LOL) so I have a mint D300 which is redundant. I could let this beauty, with the RRS L Bracket, go for $1100. (Paid $1795 for it only 9 months ago!). So if you have any interest, let me know

Best

Woody

etrigan63

Don't overlook the Pentax K20D which has a lot of pro features plus sensor based anti-shake and costs less than $1000.

back alley

i always feel ripped off when someone asks for advice and then you never hear back from them...

i made my decision and my new dslr (& kit lens) was shipped today.
there were differing factors involved but primarily cost was very high on the list as this is not intended to be anything but a fun camera for me. the availability of a buddy's lenses to borrow was factored in there too.
along with the camera i ordered a 4 gig card and a decent card reader.
the camera?
the sony a300.

thanks to those who offered assistance, it was much appreciated.
joe