Site Sponsors

Thread: Time for me to go Mac...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Time for me to go Mac...

Vista is what finally pushed this die-hard PC user over the fence... Any tips or suggestions?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Time for me to go Mac...

I fell off the chair when he first told me of this. you will be very happy with this choice
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    I have put together what I believe is an ideal Photoshop CS3 Mac workstation, with advice from the engineers and support personnel at Adobe. Feel free to contact me for specs and tips.
    -Brad

texasrancher

Smile Re: Time for me to go Mac...

Jack - Like Guy, I nearly fell out of my chair with this latest revelation. I switched about 6 weeks ago - transition has been very painless. I would be interested in learning what desktop system you eventually assemble, as your tech knowledge & needs are far beyond mine. The MacBook Pro with 17" matte screen & 160 GB fastest hard drive has served me well. Added a LaCie 200 GB portable external drive where I keep all my images (also make DVD hard copies of all files), a stand to elevate laptop to same level as my Dell 24 inch monitor (which runs flawlessly with DVI input to Mac), bluetooth Apple Mighty Mouse & bluetooth keyboard. System gives great field portability with minimal hassle to connect to keyboard & desktop monitor when in the office - external HD & BT mouse go everywhere with laptop. I have not found it necessary at all to utilize MS Office for Mac, as $79 iWorks has been more than capable of reading & exporting Word & Excel files. I have not yet upgraded to Leopard operating system - my years of PC experience have made me leery of becoming a 1st adopter of new operating systems - am awaiting a few more "bug" fixes before doing so. Hope this helps. You will love Mac system - it just works! My IT tech is not too thrilled, though - not much for him to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I just upgraded leopard and it went flawless on the MBP but my desktop was a nightmare and even worse i lost real raw images but that is another story. I have the desktop humming now but i had a few flies in the mix.

My specs are as follows for my Desktop

MacPro 2.66
    6gb of ram and you have to match riser A and riser B with the same amount, this is very important
    Main OS drive is Two WD 10 k Raptors but i just undid this and running on one 10k raptor now and the second 10 k Raptor is dedicated to LR library.

Drive 3 is a 500 gb 7200 internal that i like to call the junk pile. It has all the actions, downloads and files that need a quick place to go .

4th Drive another 500gb 7200 drive is Time machine which i partitioned 100gb to cloning the OS and the rest to Time machine. This drive will get a update soon to 1 TB drive and than pull the 500 gb and make it a externals.

External Drives are all Western Digital My Books one 750 and 2 500 gb. One drive is RAW only the other Final Master 16 bit Tif or PSD and the other is Graphics files . i do have one BIG client that i do graphic design for so they get there own drive.

Than every Master file is backed up with DVD's also.

Oh i use a 30 inch Cinema for the Desktop and a 23 inch for the Laptop.

Now both of these Monitors will be shipped to whatever workshop location .

Our new plan on workshops is 2 30 inch displays and 2 23 inch displays being powered by the Mac Pro and 2 graphics cards. i have a ATI 1900 which will push 2 30 inch displays and i will add the standard card which will push 2 23 inch displays. Lot's of horsepower and you can even get more. But i do run very well on the MacPro and laptop which has 4gb of Ram
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by texasrancher View Post
    Jack - Like Guy, I nearly fell out of my chair with this latest revelation. I switched about 6 weeks ago - transition has been very painless.
    -- snip specs --
    You will love Mac system - it just works! My IT tech is not too thrilled, though - not much for him to do.
    Thanks for the encouragement Skip! My IT tech switched about three years ago and can't even help me with my PC issues anymore LOLOLOLOL!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's my suggested setup based on conversations with Adobe engineers and support managers while at Photoshop World in Las Vegas a few months ago.

Dual-dual 3.0GHz (no need for quad core, minor speed increase), 8GB or 12GB RAM, 250GB OS drive (that's all you'll need there), 500GB or 1TB Seagate internal drive for photos, another internal just like it for backups, dual external eSATA enclosure with dual 150GB WD Raptor 10K RPM drives solely as a scratch disk, connected to internal dual channel eSATA card. Don't slow the system down with firewire or USB external drives, stick to eSATA.

The external enclosure will also let you swap in other backup drives for weekly/monthly backups, then put them away in a fireproof/waterproof safe-box.

30" cinema display (goes without saying) and a Wacom Cintiq panel both running from the ATI X1900XT card (best choice for Photoshop).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, this is what I got hope it is another alternative options for you to considered:

1. Mac Pro Quad 3.0 GHZ (Great speed for both Adobe but Video editing in which I can see in your future).

2. Raptor 10,000 RPM for all important applications such as Adobe

3. Scratch Disk, I raid two 7K RPM to make it fast and save you from buying another Raptor 10K RPM.

3. http://www.firmtek.com for external hard drive and hot swapable to save and archive

4. Super Duper for back up.

-Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son that is what I want to do is rip out the drives in the Western Digital My Books and load them in a e-sata box. So all i would need is a e-sata controller card and the box of course. What i need to figure out though is what kind of drives are in my My Books IDE or Serial Ata drives. Need to make sure i can marry the two up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    I cannot tell you how fast my Mac Book Pro with the SATA card in my labtop and the ability to swap 2 new hard drives for my archival. Putting together a fine data archival system is a must for top end photographer like you who clients will only climb each year. In addition to your workshop and personal shooting, you will need to store hard drives after hard drive in a moisture and static electricity control environment.

-Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great that is what i will do than is get a e-sata controller and a box setup. Not a big fan at ALL of USB . I do use the Firewire 800 but the e-sata stuff is much better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yes the SATA techology made the firewire 800 slow (one fo the reason I own the high end Mac computers is due to the firewire 800 so that is how great the SATA technology has come). This set up will also be incredible for videography.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

What a surprise after the workshop cracks!! Guy must have finally gotten to you eh? But as the others have mentioned you ARE going the right way. Welcome to Mac world !! YOU won't have any difficulty learning its nuances being a computer type....no offense of course! If I could figure out the basics by myself, YOU will be an expert in no time.

Brad,

I would be interested in your recommended system also, so perhaps you could post it for the group??

Jim

Chris Herbert

I've been a Mac guy since 1989 (although digital photo processing is all quite new to me), so I think it's the right move as well! I'm a bit like an NRA guy with regard to my Mac... you'll take it from me only when you pry my cold, dead fingers off!

A couple suggestions. Take a look at G-Technology's drives. Very well designed (they supply a lot of Hollywood video talent) and they were the first -- and perhaps still the only -- ones to have a quad interface drive: USB, FW400, FW800, and eSATA. The flexibility and compatibility appealed to me. I now travel with one or two of their small drives (FW/USB only... no eSATA) so that I have immediate back-up of whatever comes off an SD card and goes onto my G4 laptop.

Also, the suggestion to store drives carefully is well taken. But be careful. An ordinary fireproof file cabinet or safe may not be enough. I use Sentry Media Safes (Staples has had good prices in the past), which are designed to keep temperature and humidity levels during a fire below the maximums which Hitachi and Seagate (the makers of the drives in the G-Tech enclosures) recommend. Fireproof files designed for paper (which burns at 451 degrees... remember the Ray Bradbury book?) allow things to get way too hot inside. For large quantities of storage, there are much larger media safe options at much higher prices, but I can easily fit 3 G-Tech 750GB drives in one such safe. I've got quite a few pix to shoot before I fill those drives... but with my new M8 finally arrived this week, I may find myself filling them faster than I think!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome neighbor good to see you here. Have fun and ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm I had a discussion with a friend re fireproofing backup media, we agreed that it is not worth the effort, better put the effort into keeping one copy (or two) offsite and circulate copies once at regular intervals like weekly. After all, you can never be quite sure that anything is bombproof anyway.

Chris Herbert

No disagreement from me on that idea! I have multiple redundant backups, including at home and offsite (primarily a safe deposit box at a local bank that, for convenience, is right next door to my favorite grocery store; but occasionally I just give a drive to my wife to store at her office). But, for practical purposes, I think one needs some sort of protection at home that at least MAY offer some protection from fire. The problem with offsite storage, at least in my experience, is that there are often several days of work done that are backed up only in the most convenient place -- be it home, office, or studio -- and not taken to the offsite location because it's a hassle. But all this is a lot like the whole question of how much insurance to buy. In the final analysis, it all comes down to how much risk one wishes to take.

The main point I wanted to make is that if someone wants to store things at home, it's best not to think that a simple "safe" is going to offer the protection one really needs for digital media.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack I have used macs for personal work since swatting through two years of MBA 20 years ago...I recently upgraded my Macs (one for office one for home and one for farm ) to 2x2.6Intel Xeons x 8 gig ram..you should buy Fusion which allows you to run windowsX or Vista ( why would you run this piece of crapola?) and MacOSX at the same time..the programme allows your intel chipped mac to dynamically allocate ram according to wether you are running one or both operating systems at the same time. there ya go mate - the best of both worlds....email me if you like..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Jack I have used macs for personal work since swatting through two years of MBA 20 years ago...I recently upgraded my Macs (one for office one for home and one for farm ) to 2x2.6Intel Xeons x 8 gig ram..you should buy Fusion which allows you to run windowsX or Vista ( why would you run this piece of crapola?) and MacOSX at the same time..the programme allows your intel chipped mac to dynamically allocate ram according to wether you are running one or both operating systems at the same time. there ya go mate - the best of both worlds....email me if you like..
    Hi Peter:

Yes, my plan is to run XP through Fusion. I have one program that is PC only that I like, and their stated Mac solution is Fusion/XP LOL! Beyond that, most every other piece of software I use is cross platform.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also remember Adobe will transfer your License and send all new software that are registered for the shipping fee. It was great when I switched and saved bundles of money making the switch. Office for Mac is 150 dollars. so not as bad as some think. Of course Rip software and such maybe a issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi all,
    This is my first post and I am making it on my wifes MacBook instead of my MacBook Pro. My hard drive failed Friday after 6 months of owning it. Thank god I have a Mac store in town, they were able to take the pictures that I had on my desktop that I had not backed up yet, and move them to a portable drive. The people at the store were great. This MacBook Pro is my fourth Mac and the first one that has failed. I wish I could say the same for my PCs. Anyways if not for the people at the Mac store I would have lost all the pictures I had on the desktop including all the pictures I had just taken a week before in Maui. Please folks make sure you always back up your pictures right away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Joe, and thanks for that info --- also GREAT they rescued your images! One of other factors for me deciding to go mac is in addiion to having two Mac gurus nearby who are willing to help me, there are at least three well-stocked Apple stores within about a 5 mile radius.
    Jack

Chris Herbert

Hi Jack,

I have a program running on my Mac called Tech Tool Pro 4 (micromat.com), which does things similar to what the Norton Utilities programs used to do for Mac before OS-X came out. There's apparently built-in checks within the hard drives themselves that can be accessed and that may be able to predict a potential HD failure. I've thus got those set to run at every log-in and then every hour that the computer's running. It's automatic and in the background and never seems to slow anything down. Not sure if they'd work to actually predict something enough in advance, but seems worth a try nonetheless.

The other recommendation I'd make to a new Mac owner is to regularly run the Verify/Repair Permissions function in Apple's Disk Utility (it should be on the first install disk). I run this every time Apple updates software and often find that permissions have gone out of whack. I can't say I'm really sure what these permission things are, but keeping them in good shape is supposedly a wise idea according to some Mac gurus I've read at macfixit.com.

Chris

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, this is a timely batch of info folks. I have to dump a pile of cash before Jan. 1 or give it to Uncle Sammy's financial folks at the IRS next April : -(

I've never used anything but a Mac. I've held out from updating my 2 GHz Dual processor G5 (older fan cooled). It has a 150 gig HD and a 150 Gig Scratch Disk with 5 Gigs of SDRAM. I'm using two 23" Cinema displays. I am overwhelming this set up now. I have eight 500 gig drives for storage of working files.

PLEASE help me spend my money : -)

Here are my needs:

Has to be dual monitors, the bigger the better for wedding client presentations of slide shows and stuff like that ... but more importantly for studio shooting where I can see the monitors as I shoot at the camera.

Commercial photography is a primary driver for spec'ing this Mac. That, and a crushing load of wedding images every freaking weekend in the Summer.

I frequently shoot MF digital tethered to the computer via Firewire 800 interface. The thumbnails are on one screen and the second screen features the last shot taken full screen which I can refer to remotely as I shoot. So speed is the most important aspect here.

For example, this Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we shot continuously for 8 hours straight producing thousands of images for Unilever Foods. It was all lifestyle type work with models in action mixed in with package shots and some food set-ups. I was using live feed video for the MF back and shooting at peak moments in the action.

The other prime use is weddings. I down load all my work and the work of my second shooter into one file, sort by time shot and dump it all into Adobe Lightroom. 1000 to 1500 RAW shots from a 16 gig Canon (soon to be a 22 meg Canon) is not unusual. Up to 400 to 500 of those can be from a 39 meg MF back ( i.e. BIG files ).

Lastly, I do multi layer type work for both of the above ... PLUS I am a full time Advertising creative person doing ads and design that requires layer work that can produce a single file of a gig or more. It is possible that the future holds video editing also, as my primary job is doing TV commercials ... and we produce "Test Commercials" before ever going to a full up production in Hollywood or NYC. Desktop motion editing can be a real money maker.

Other peripherals: Epson 2400, Epson 3800, Imacon 949 Scanner, Epson V750 Pro Flatbed.

Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fotografz,

Re monitor choice, our experience with 30" displays at Light Crafts - arguably two years ago with G5's but I believe still valid - was that memeory bandwidth becomes a bottleneck.

The 30-inchers have 4 megapixels as compared to 2 mpx for the 1920x1200 resolution. Twice as much data to move to and from the graphics card. More of an issue in photography than in video I believe, until you go full HD.

Two lessons to learn:
    - When configuring a workstation, memory bus speed is critical. Not much choice on the Mac side - you can only get the fastest
    - If large monitors is important (for slide shows/tethered work) consider 27" 1920x1200 rather than 30" cinema displays. Then again, maybe presentations on a 30" will bring in more revenue for you.

Lars

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc you need a new Mac Pro my friend. I would get a 3.0 dual than about 6mgs of Ram minimum which is what I have but you maybe better with 8. Buy them from here for 600 dollars the ram http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

I would also buy the hard drives from them also. Now the trick is getting the right video card . I have the ATI 1900 which will drive two 30 inch Cinema display's without a issue. I drive a 30 and 23 inch at times. Actually for our workshops what we are going to do this time is bring my Mac Pro run two 30 inch display from this card than the basic card run two 23 inch display's. We will put the two 30 and 1 23 inch in front of the attendees and we will work off one 23 inch. That should be pretty darn cool .

Here I configured one add the tax though

Mac Pro
    Part Number: Z0D8
    Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
    Accessory kit
    Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Mac OS X - U.S. English
    1GB (2 x 512MB)
    500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
    Gift message: Add

Remove $3,755.00 $3,755.00
    Estimated Ship: 2-4 business days
    .Mac - Retail Box Promotion
    Part Number: BC847LL/A

Remove $69.95 $69.95
    Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
    Part Number: S2512Z/A

Remove $249.00 $249.00
    Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours
    Cart Subtotal: $4,073.95
    Free Shipping: $0.00

Estimated Total: $4,073.95

Than take out there Ram , and add the 8gb from Old world . Than leave the 500gb in there for backup than buy three other drives of your choice. i am running my OS off a WD 10k Raptor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, the latest batch of Intel processors (just announced this week) have moved FSB speeds up to 1600 MHz --- and Apple has been buying them up, so I'd suspect an updated processor in the Mac Pro within the next few weeks. See here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=385872

The $250 upgrade Radeon x1900 is said to drive 2 30-inchers pretty well in 2D apps, but the Nvidia 4500 will supposedly handle 2 30-inchers with 3D very well, but its like $1500 upgrade.

They did just up the Macbook Pro's processor and the new ones have a two-week delivery right now. So I'm holding off a few more weeks on MBP and new Mac Pro.

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good intell there Jack. I'll hold off for a couple of weeks also. Thanks !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They redid the 15 inch Jack . They just did that a little while ago. Have to check

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

looks like it went to 2.6 . Damn i have the 2.4

With its two processor cores, the Intel Core 2 Duo processor offers virtually twice the computational power of a traditional single processor in the same space. To enjoy the greatest possible performance for processor-intensive tasks such as video rendering, gaming, and more, you can upgrade the processor in your MacBook Pro from the standard 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo to an even faster 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talked to the Small Business rep at the Apple Store, and the 1600 rumor is true. She couldn't confirm when it'll be in the pipe line, but I asked if it would be viable before I start wedding season in early Spring, and she said she could definitely hook me up by then. She hinted at possible 1 terabyte drives : -)

I'll limp along until then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, the 1TB 7200RPM SATAII drives are already here --- Our local Fry's had them in stock and on sale last week --- WD Greens at $269 each. Talk about cheap storage: that's 54 cents a Gig for fully redundant (RAID 1) storage

BTW, another issue with the new processors is they'll support 800 MHz RAM speeds. Current RAM speed is 667, and supposedly the biggest bottleneck in current Mac Pro performance (it can only handle 4 processors at that speed, so the 8-core machine has to share that, effectively halving the RAM throughput). The new 800RAM will probably be killer expensive when available, but hopefully the old RAM will still work (and it's cheap) until the 800 prices come down.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, as you know, I just moved to an iMac 24 this past Wednesday. I can't tell you the joy of having a machine that simply works! Leopard is easy, reliable and flawless at this point. My Blackberry even likes to sync with it which was not the case with my Vista PC.

Like you, Vista did it! Just deleting a file was a chore. I have missed Office 2007 but am determined to learn and use iWorks totally. So far, it does everything I want it to do. Every time I come up with a new (often old) task, it performs. I thought I would miss MS Publisher until I found out how much Pages will do. Fabulous!!!

Time Machine....well, absolutely the best! It has saved me two or three times when making some new Mac owner mistakes.

And, all of your Photoshop lessons...what a treat to see the detail of this big monitor. El Capitan never looked so good. BTW, Adobe let's you have 5 "platform changes" in a lifetime. In other words, PC to Mac, and they send out the Mac software free of charge. Guy covered that earlier.

Safari is a super browser, mail is a champ, address book syncs everywhere, iCal as well, iTunes/iPod a breeze, disc burning a snap, Quicken moved right in (Mac software $69), recognized and interfaced with my HP printer instantly and transferred data at the Apple store in minutes.

My son-in-law wanted the PC, so he's now laboring away with the thing. At 36, he can have at it. At 63, life is too short!!

Tremendous experience!! Don't look back!!

Best
    Last edited by Reynolds; 26th November 2007 at 03:59.
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like

My Dell laptop that I use for scanning and printing crapped out yesterday. Rather than have it fixed, I'm going to pitch it since it's just a 512 ram. Had it over five years anyway. So now I'm looking to upgrade the replacement. I am thinking about one of those Macbook Pro's with "full tilt boogie". My question is will I be able to use my CD's that have all of my picture files, they are in PC format? I have well over 10,000 of these. I also like Qimage a lot, I know that there is some kind of interface required to use it on the Mac's. Or should I just stay with a PC. I also have Photoshop CS and plan to upgrade to CS3 but would the Aperture 1.5 be worth adding on too or instead of the CS3? Being here in the Tundra as I am, I don't get to put my eyes on these other systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The files on CD should be fine. However, files stored on a remote Win drive (NTFS) are not. I simply ported ALL my NTFS/PC drive image files over to newly formatted Mac drives via Gig-LAN --- took several hours, but hey, I just let it run all night

I really like CS3, but then I use Photoshop a lot. I have LR, but don't really use it unless I need to batch process a bunch of jpegs.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    The files on CD should be fine. However, files stored on a remote Win drive (NTFS) are not. I simply ported ALL my NTFS/PC drive image files over to newly formatted Mac drives via Gig-LAN --- took several hours, but hey, I just let it run all night

I really like CS3, but then I use Photoshop a lot. I have LR, but don't really use it unless I need to batch process a bunch of jpegs.
    That's good to know.

Thanks Jack

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post

FWIW, my understanding is that the Mac OS can read NTFS drives but not write to them.

Cheers,

Sean