Site Sponsors

Thread: Your iOS 5 update story

Post Thanks / Like

Your iOS 5 update story

Today was wasted by updates:

- 2 Mac to 10.7.2: took time but worked fine
    - iPhone 4 (#1): took quite some time but worked fine
    - iPad 2: worked the second time
    - iPhone 4 (#2): failed many times ( error 3014 I think, server error at Apple as I understand). At some point the phone was void of anything. Restoring it brought it right back to iOS5 :-).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your iOS 5 update story

I had the same result on my iPhone 4 as your second...error 3004 several times, then a restore that failed 2 or 3 times. Then success.

Still have 2 more hours of downloading the 10.7.2 update...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

oops, the 10.7.2 downloaded with an error...now it has to start over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Iphone 4 update failed two times with server time outs, but worked the third time - it did take a while though, maybe 30-40 min.

Cheers, -Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I started the update right around 10AM in SF. I got pretty far and had 9 minutes remaining on the download but about that time the whole world must have logged in. That last 9 minutes took 1.5 hours. I got stuck on the errors and decided to try to upgrade to 10.7.2 first (the analysis of the error messages wasn't really diagnosed yet).

Managed to get 10.7.2 on my work MBP pretty easily but when I started it at home on the MacPro after giving up on the iPad/iPhone updates it was saying 2 hours remaining.

Finally had to go to work around noon......will start again when I get home.

I think every geek in San Francisco started the process between 10:00 and 10:10.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm giving up on 10.7.2 for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

50% of our lives we update software and the rest we wait for it.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, early adopters!

Post Thanks / Like

I started to update about 1:20 EST, was all prepared to do several and cancelled--some premonition????? . Glad I did LOL and I'll wait a bit until the logjam unjams a bit.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Thank you, early adopters!

In a few weeks I'll upgrade my Verizon iPhone 4 to iOS5...

Post Thanks / Like

My MBP got the 10.7.2 update a bit slowly but with no significant problems. With the iPad I spent about three hours in vain: waiting, waiting, waiting, error, error, error. Fail.

BTW, they have now released the Aperture 3.2 update as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got home a few minutes ago and on the first iPad "re-try" it seems to be updating smoothly. Restoring the Apps right now. This should be the last of these sorts of synchs and now all should happen via iCloud.

Next up iPhone...which I hadn't even started this AM.....but in the meantime here is some Siri humor

http://shitthatsirisays.tumblr.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Started my iPad upgrade just before 20:00 CET and was ready to go at 01:00 CET ... :sleep006: ... :sleep006: ... :sleep006:
    But ... I got it ... ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on travel with only my iPad with me (I'm borrowing use of my friend's MacBook Pro while here occasionally) so I'll be updating my systems after I return home on the 25th.

But I'll be reading your experiences... I think I'll carry my personal laptop, iPad and iPod Touch into the office to do the update there with the faster network. I do need to read up on iCloud and see how it affects my iTunes and other synchronized stuff too. I haven't had time to follow it in detail ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Start to finish my iPhone (with lots of Apps but no music) took 1.5 hours and ran smoothly with no glitches.

People should note that this upgrade looks very different to previous updates. There is a lot more going on. It seems on this update they essentially wipe the device, install the new software and then restore the apps and data. In the past you never really saw as many different processes kick of complete and launch the next process. Hard to explain but just letting folks know that the process has changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Apple will already have updated my iOS 5 for me when I pick up my iPhone 4S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    Apple will already have updated my iOS 5 for me when I pick up my iPhone 4S
    I will be curious to see how it works I have a new one coming as well. I always like to know I'm working on the new OS before moving over so I did the iPhone last night.

Post Thanks / Like

My update story:

- Required iTunes update took 3 hours, to download
    - Update doesn't go on, when backup is done

Yay!
    My Flickr

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the iOS5 update on my Mac and iPhone yesterday evening without any problems. But it did take a while.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Updated yesterday to Lion and then shortly after to 10.7.2. Updated my 3GS iPhone to IOS5 - all of this took several hours. Now doing damage control. Quicken for Mac (2007 - last version released) was first victim and no longer works on Lion - worse you cannot convert your data and import to Quicken Essentials (horrible software) on Lion. I finally moved Quicken 2007 and my data file from a backup drive to my wife's old iMac running Leopard - she is now in charge of finances (gasp! - no more impulsive photo purchases). Now looking for another financial software vendor as Intuit appears to have little interest in further Mac development.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Updated yesterday to Lion and then shortly after to 10.7.2. Updated my 3GS iPhone to IOS5 - all of this took several hours. Now doing damage control. Quicken for Mac (2007 - last version released) was first victim and no longer works on Lion - worse you cannot convert your data and import to Quicken Essentials (horrible software) on Lion. I finally moved Quicken 2007 and my data file from a backup drive to my wife's old iMac running Leopard - she is now in charge of finances (gasp! - no more impulsive photo purchases). Now looking for another financial software vendor as Intuit appears to have little interest in further Mac development.
    SEE Finance ... best move I made from Intuit.

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    SEE Finance ... best move I made from Intuit.

Bob
    Thank you Bob. I will download and give it a try.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tried 10.7.2 download again today. It resumed where it had left off yesterday, took 6 minutes (vs 4 hours) to download, installation took a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

5 PM CST Thurs 13 October

Upgraded iPhone 4 (removed music and videos first). This took about 45 mins and was completely routine.

Post Thanks / Like

Very different. Lots to pay attention to. After install, verification and download to Itunes of many apps (less than 1/2 that I marked for sync), I got message that 22 were "missing" and couldn't be synced to Ipad. I synced those that were okay and started a reinstall of the 22 others I wanted from "purchased" in app store. I had no hope for two of them with a lot of content (I had backed up most crucial on Dropbox) but after slogging through all my "purchased" apps since May of 2010 to find the ones to reinstall (and it was VERRRRRRRY slow as I'm sure many others were doing the same) I was delighted to discover those "lost" apps, on reinstall from app store had all their content. Never had that happen before with reinstalls. Long process but its done on this device (two more to go and set up Iclouds on PC) and so far I'm happy with the few changes I've used.

Oh, and had two errors and two disconnects of Ipad to PC. I finally wondered if my USB cable was at fault--time for restore had stood at 3 hours. After reconnecting and using new cable it took 1/2 hour for complete restore. My verification was quite fast--this seemed to be the biggest issue last night.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Start to finish my iPhone (with lots of Apps but no music) took 1.5 hours and ran smoothly with no glitches.

People should note that this upgrade looks very different to previous updates. There is a lot more going on. It seems on this update they essentially wipe the device, install the new software and then restore the apps and data. In the past you never really saw as many different processes kick of complete and launch the next process. Hard to explain but just letting folks know that the process has changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated an iPad, an iPod Touch and an iPhone 3GS without a glitch. I had to resist my urges to break off the process when the process seemed to hang, since they were still humming along but no tshowing any progress. I did wait one day before starting the update process, due to earlier experiences on release days.
    Last edited by marlof; 13th October 2011 at 20:12. Reason: iPad text suggestion was too funny.

Post Thanks / Like

IPad2 took two tries and ended up having to "restore" it. Also ended up with different Apple ID and password - a very old one of mine. Very strange but all is working now.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been oblivious to the recent spate of updates. Working at the MAC during long days, nights and weekends. But yesterday afternoon at around 6:00 pm I got one of those Software Update notices. Checked into what was wanting to install itself and discovered 10.7.2. I clicked install and expected a long download but instead got the restart question. Sure. Went downstairs to cook dinner and when i came back everything was up and running. I'm guessing the update downloaded on its own while I was working. Most painless update ever.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Updated my Mac Pro to Lion 10.7.2 with no issues. Updated my iPad2 to iOS 5 and it went OK except the update decided to scatter my apps over 6 pages as opposed to my anal retentive folder arrangement. My iPhone4 updated smoothly.

Question where is Siri or is that only on the iPhone4S?

My wife's iPhone4 update via Windows 7 went fine but too slow for her tastes.

My daughter's (age 14) iPhone4 update nearly caused her an aneurysm since she could not text her friends while it was updating. That and a faulty cable caused some grief.

My son's (age 11) iPod Touch (gen 3) did not report an update available. iOS5 is not available for it?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Siri's only on 4s.

Post Thanks / Like

>nearly caused her an aneurysm since she could not text her friends while it was updating.

Ouch
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little late, but I updated a day after it was released. Started it before I went to bed and it was all done in the morning. Everything went really smoothly and no problems at all. Upgrades on my two Macs also went fine (4+ year old Macbook Pro and Macbook Air). Converted everything over to iCloud, no issues so far.
    Charles - flickr