The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kindle Fire vs iPad

monza

I'm on the fence, having been in the Apple camp since the Apple ][ days.

Convince me one way or the other!

Diane B

Depends, from what I've read and being an Ipad 1 user since the beginning, as to what you want to do on the tablet. I've found I can do everything I do with Laptop, even PC, except Raw processing and maybe large complex spreadsheets, though I can read or edit them in tablet. You can basically access everything on the net except Flash (and even that many times with 3rd party browser) but we know what's happening with Flash in the future anyhow.

If you are an Apple person with other IOS devices, everything syncs. Even as a win 7 person things work well. I move things around easily with Dropbox and Iclouds and I have a lot of content both on the tablet and accessible "in the cloud".

It appears to me that the Fire is less capable, doesn't have the really terrific apps available for the Ipad. I have several friends who carry the Ipad for business purposes. I bet that won't happen with the Fire.

Playing with an Ipad in the store doesn't come close to the experience of using it day in, day out unless you are lazy like some of my other friends LOL who don't look for solutions and use it more for movies, books, net browsing and mail. Still, maybe when the Fire is available in BB, go there and try both and think how you will use it. BTW if you also happen to have an Apple TV you can mirror the Ipad 2 on TV. I have 1 but still use it for many things with Ipad including viewing photos from my PC and Ipad on a big screen. I think the Fire may offer something like this with other devices, but don't know what.

Can you tell I love my Ipad?? I just came home from 10 day trip, driving. I used it every day for many things--and mine is wifi only. I loaded and shared photos every day, used apps, searched for places, used Google map. I always carried a laptop before. This was such a much nicer experience on many levels but don't know what Fire offers for similar use.

Godfrey

... I've found I can do everything I do with Laptop, even PC, except Raw processing ...
Diane, Take a look at PhotoRAW. Raw image processing on the iPad. I wouldn't say its in the league of Lightroom, Camera Raw or RPP, but it's pretty good.

-

The Kindle Fire is a more limited device, that's all. It does what it was designed to do reasonably well, and that doesn't include all the things available that an iPad 2 can do. It's relatively inexpensive.

The difference in price is irrelevant if, having bought a Kindle Fire, you find you want to do something with it that it is not capable of and find you need what the iPad 2 can do instead. If you never find yourself wanting what the iPad 2 can do, save money and go with the Kindle Fire ... but it's hard to know ahead of time what those things are. I didn't know the range of things I'm now using the iPad 2 for when I first thought of buying one, and I'm happy to say that it has not presented many barriers to doing new things. Every time I find a new use for it, it becomes less expensive: the value to price proposition becomes better.

Diane B

Godfrey has it exactly right. I had no idea of how I would use the Ipad a year and 3/4 ahead. I had used a Touch for several years and thought I knew but I use the Ipad for so much more and haven't really found anything I've needed or wanted to do that hasn't been possible. I will say my Ipad 3 will be 3G or I'll buy a Mifi (less likely). I've used a mobile hot spot on a Palm Pre (free for 2 years which is why I bought Ipad 1 as wifi only, 64 GB). Lots of wifi where I live but more trouble to locate when traveling.

Thanks for that Godfrey, I knew about it but hadn't tried it. I may with your recommendation.

Terry

I have a slightly different take. I have both a Kindle and an iPad. I prefer reading on the Kindle because it has limited functionality and I tend to then read a book for a more extended period of time (and not be quite so ADD where I constantly flip back to browse the web and the various photo forums). I do like reading on eInk but I don't like having to have a light on. The Kindle is better if you are out at a pool etc. The Kindle is more comfortable to hold and read with but that depends on how you sit and like to read.

However, all of that changes with the Kindle fire because of the difference in screen and the internet access. Now if I were to chose between the two I would probably still chose the iPad. I like the additional screen real estate. I use a lot of different apps. My music is on iTunes, and it integrates well with everything else that I do. If you plan on doing a lot of reading you might want to consider the Kindle but if you are thinking of this as an all around machine for photos and other things the iPad wins for the foreseeable future.

If I were starting from scratch today, I would buy an iPad and still have a cheap Kindle.

mathomas

I know this isn't the spirit of your question, but I'll weigh in regardless :).

I actually just sold my iPad and got a MacBook Air 11" instead. The iPad was simply awesome for most read-only things. But for me, when it didn't work for my needs it was really irritating. For one thing, I just never got good at typing on it. When I'm on the web, I type a lot (for example, on this forum, flickr, etc.). Entering and editing text was a nightmare for me: tons of typos, then fixing them was hard. Getting the caret to the right place, and selecting text was a big PITA most of the time.

I have a 2nd gen Kindle, and thus never bothered using the iPad for reading. The Kindle is a lot cheaper and I don't mind taking it to the gym. It's also much better in sunlight, etc. Plus, I can see Terry's point about the Kindle being good for only one thing: reading, and that being a good thing.

Basically, I wanted to love the iPad (I'm a huge Apple fan), but in the end there was just enough friction when using it to make me get rid of it. I had intended to replace my 1st Gen MacBook Air with the iPad, but ended up selling that MBA and getting a new 11" one after my iPad experience. Have never yet missed the iPad.

Sorry this was so long. I didn't have time to make it shorter :)

Last edited:

monza

Well, yes, I did the same thing already. :) I had an iPad 1 for a couple of months after they came out, had the same typing issues. So I have a MacBook Air 11" as well.

Whether I get a Fire or an iPad, I won't be using it for emails or anything that involves more than just very minimal typing. It'll be for reading, movies/TV, etc.

Terry

Then get the Kindle Fire - smaller, cheaper, good eco system for entertainment,

Well, yes, I did the same thing already. :) I had an iPad 1 for a couple of months after they came out, had the same typing issues. So I have a MacBook Air 11" as well.

Whether I get a Fire or an iPad, I won't be using it for emails or anything that involves more than just very minimal typing. It'll be for reading, movies/TV, etc.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The Kindle is a lot cheaper and I don't mind taking it to the gym. It's also much better in sunlight, etc.

How about PDFs?

For me the Fire may be not good to view local own images and videos (no SD card). I plan to look at the new Nook. The iPad is nice but too big to carry extra in my photo bag. The main reason to carry a pad is to show images and videos. The iPhone is too small and the iPad too big for this.

Godfrey

I know this isn't the spirit of your question, but I'll weight in regardless :).

I actually just sold my iPad and got a MacBook Air 11" instead. The iPad was simply awesome for most read-only things. But for me, when it didn't work for my needs it was really irritating. For one thing, I just never got good at typing on it. When I'm on the web, I type a lot (for example, on this forum, flickr, etc.). Entering and editing text was a nightmare for me: tons of typos, then fixing them was hard. Getting the caret to the right place, and selecting text was a big PITA most of the time. ...
Whatever works for your needs and use is what's best.

However, when it comes to typing anything of any length, I have an Apple wireless keyboard in a InCase case that is also an iPad desk stand ... This turns the iPad into a MacBook Air 11" sized portable with a separate keyboard. I don't use it often, but I usually keep it in the car so that it's handy if I fall into a writing mood when at a cafe (like right now...). I carried it on my trip, just tucked it into my checked luggage and didn't worry about it: it made the iPad pretty much a self-sufficient travel computer for email, web, and photo stuff, more convenient overall than my MacBook Air (which is what I use for work).

I've often thought about buying a Kindle (one of the 6" E Ink screen models) purely for reading books. Too bad they don't also read epub books ... that's why I haven't bothered. The iPad allows reading epub, kindle, and PDF books, so I just use it for everything.

Diane B

Interesting all above and how personal a tablet is. I do a lot of reading in bed with a partner so love using the Ipad with Propup at night and no light--he likes it too LOL (I have my Ipad stuck into my Propup with Apple case on all the time I'm home--no hands reading or typing). I read at our pool in summer but we sit under roof so don't have any issues (and who sits in the sun in the NC summer LOL). I have recommended a cheap Kindle for friend with eye issues, though, as complement to her Ipad which she uses for business but reads at pool in sun. If I did that I would buy cheap Kindle now also--but not Fire.

I too have a bluetooth Apple keyboard for sometimes. I'm aware also of a number of good cases (Adonit for one with Writer whose terrific stylus I love--through Kickstarter) with keyboard. i have to admit I am fine with typing but it may be because I have somewhat smaller, but NOT small, fingers. I have spell check and punctuation off and am a fast touch typist. I'm pretty happy after more than a year and a half using the keypad. YMMV.

I carried m4/3 with Ipad in Tenba case on recent trip--loved it with one reasonably small case to carry in each night. I stuck Terraclime in on top for day to day carry (and it could have been Canon system) but just got a Rickshaw Ipad case which is terrific for day to day carry with small system and Ipad.

monza

Whatever works for your needs and use is what's best.
Well, that's what I'm trying to determine but it looks like I may need to buy one of each to come up with the answer.

Definitely don't need the cameras on the ipad2. Not interested in a wireless keyboard. But it's not just hardware, it's the software, the cloud, and the media availability. Kinda cool about the Amazon Prime deal...

Terry

Robert,
I just read an add for the Kindle Fire and it gave me pause. Not sure where your usage will be and if you will have access to recharge but the battery on the fire is rated for 8 hours of continuous reading with wifi turned off. I don't know what the battery life would then be for a movie being streamed over wifi.

This is from the Best Buy email I just go in the mail:

• Features a 7" color multi-touch display
• Access over 18 million movies, TV shows, apps, songs, magazines and books
• Battery life up to 8 hours continuous reading with wireless off

monza

Interesting. The Best Buy site says

"Up to 8 hours of continuous reading or 7.5 hours of video playback with wireless off.
With the included lithium-ion battery." These estimates are usually generous...I'd venture 6 hours is probably more like it, and maybe 5 hours using wifi?

I think I'm leaning towards ipad. Larger display, more memory. 6GB of user space on the Fire is not much for locally stored apps and content. Yes, storage on the cloud but only if you are near wifi at the cost of battery life.

jonoslack

I have a slightly different take. I have both a Kindle and an iPad. I prefer reading on the Kindle because it has limited functionality and I tend to then read a book for a more extended period of time (and not be quite so ADD where I constantly flip back to browse the web and the various photo forums). I do like reading on eInk but I don't like having to have a light on. The Kindle is better if you are out at a pool etc. The Kindle is more comfortable to hold and read with but that depends on how you sit and like to read.
I'm right with you Terry
. . . and if I was starting again I'd also have an iPAD and a kindle.

monza

Terry sent me this link and to be honest, I'm not surprised. The question I had from day one, was how much Amazon would be subsidizing the cost of the Fire in order to hit the $200 price point while providing a decent performing product. It is apparent that in order to hit the price, they had to use a much slower (cheaper) CPU/chipset. Looks like the Fire would be frustrating so I'll be skipping the Fire test. :)

mathomas

I think I'm going for a Kindle Touch. Looks like some nice improvements over the Kindle 3 I've been using for a while now.

Diane B

I've seen teardowns of the Fire also and how much it actually cost them to build it and then heard again today that the price is $10 less than the cost to mfg. Obviously their intent is for it to be used for consuming from Amazon primarily as opposed to selling them for profit. That's fine because that's been their business model and most understand it.

Pogue did feel the Kindles themselves might be overlooked--I thought the Touch looked like the one to choose for reading.

Braeside

I'm thinking about an iPad also, any advice on whether to get 32 or 64GB model? Any regrets by those who have bought the 32GB model? Wife has Kindle for reading, but I don't do as much reading as she does, especially on holiday where the Kindle is ideal outside.

I am planning on the Wifi only model. 3G doesn't make much sense for my needs in the UK (and holiday use in Europe). Don't need the GPS as I have iPhone for that.

Diane B

I have a 64 GB wifi, bought the 32 for my husband. I've had mine since May 2010, him since August 2010. I would like more storage on my next Ipad though I'm not tight now--but I have no music (all my music is on my Touch) or videos, except some recent clips of my own. I have lots of photos and other content. My husband, OTOH, could have used a 16GB since he uses it quite differently from me. He does have smaller photo files but really no other content. I think 32 is a good compromise but glad I got the 64 since I use it a lot differently than I would have expected. Don't know if that helps much though LOL.