Site Sponsors

Thread: The Art of Crippling Cameras

asabet

The Art of Crippling Cameras

I can understand why companies create distinction between high end and the rest of their product lines. What I don't like is when they cripple cameras in software or via other methods that don't even save them manufacturing cost. Examples:
    - D700 doesn't have user interchangeable focusing screens, but D3 does
    - 5D II doesn't have fully customizable auto ISO, but 1Ds III does

These are small things, but I find them really annoying.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Art of Crippling Cameras

Amin,

What's to understand? It's a way to charge more at virtually no additional cost to them. Annoying to us perhaps, but clever marketing to them.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    I can understand why companies create distinction between high end and the rest of their product lines. What I don't like is when they cripple cameras in software or via other methods that don't even save them manufacturing cost. Examples:
    - D700 doesn't have user interchangeable focusing screens, but D3 does
    - 5D II doesn't have fully customizable auto ISO, but 1Ds III does

These are small things, but I find them really annoying.
    And you might be surprised by the number of possible features already built into the software that are simply "disabled." But how else would these folks be able to market both high end and lower end products........since they only want (and can afford to) engineer the software one time they have to disable features to differentiate products. Happens in the computer industry all the time.

Woody

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Amin,

What's to understand? It's a way to charge more at virtually no additional cost to them. Annoying to us perhaps, but clever marketing to them.

Cheers,
    Simon, I understand it, but I don't like it. I think they could generate more brand loyalty if they abandoned the really petty distinctions, which really aren't necessary to create distinctions between different levels of products.

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    And you might be surprised by the number of possible features already built into the software that are simply "disabled." But how else would these folks be able to market both high end and lower end products........since they only want (and can afford to) engineer the software one time they have to disable features to differentiate products. Happens in the computer industry all the time.

Woody
    I know what you mean. Windows is a good example. Every Vista disk contains all the versions, from Home Basic to Ultimate.