The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro keyboard freezing?

waynelake

Well thats it really. Keyboard freezing on MacBook Pro, but can still use mouse. Thought I'd ask if anyone knew if could be something easy fix? One person told me could be the motherboard, in which case under warantee, but actually uncertain.

Any thoughts appreciated
Wayne

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wayne,

If you haven't already done so, I'd get the extended warranty on it too.

Cheers,
Good point. There seems to be a video chip issue with many of the MBP's too, and supposedly they fail after about a year. Apple knows of this, but isn't doing anything until they actually fail -- ostensibly because they know a large percentage of customers will have that failure AFTER the unit is out of warranty.

Cheers,

When you say the mouse works are you talking about an external mouse connected through the USB or the trackpad? I have issues where the keyboard/trackpad freezes and I have to connect and USB mouse/keyboard to restart.

I think this is a software issue/corruption, not a hardware issue. The "genius" at the Apple store was totally stumped. He said to reformat the drive and that worked.

When you repair permissions, and then check them again, do the same problems show up? If so, probably time for a reformat. Very time consuming and a total PITA.

A

asabet

That is a known issue and affected my Macbook. Applying updates fixed mine, but I was affected by intermittent freezing for months before the fix came. It got so bad I switched to running exclusively Windows in Boot Camp for a few weeks!

I think this was the update that fixed my problem.

waynelake

That is a known issue and affected my Macbook. Applying updates fixed mine, but I was affected by intermittent freezing for months before the fix came. It got so bad I switched to running exclusively Windows in Boot Camp for a few weeks!

I think this was the update that fixed my problem.

Thanks for the replys. Have 3yr warantee...yes!:)
Bluetooth mouse only somtimes so can copy/paste only, real bad like above. Updates fixed everything for a while. Only one :eek:copy/pasteWill post more, but from internet cafe, freezing..:eek:

waynelake

Restarted 3 times and away.
Permissions repaired often and Ok.
Will find out about reformating hard drive.
Oh, updating itunes now. All other software done at time.
Have not got Leopard yet. So might do that, and check Amins link... Its "keyboard update" for 10.5. I'm on 10.4.11

I hope that last one will work, thanks all
Wayne

PS. :bugeyes: must say, certainly an interesting year with all the new stuff. Good therapy. "Would like to go over the cliff", but might be a while before it happens.