The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple media event Oct 14

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thought this would be of interest.
Apple will be holding a special media event on Tuesday, October 14th at 10AM Pacific in Cupertino, California.

Looks like MacBook Pros and Macbooks will be updated. I don't want to speculate but this maybe interesting to see what comes out of this event.

Terry

It will be interesting. Jack posted about SSDs dropping in price and I'm hoping they actually do some work on the MacBook Air. I have a lot of travel coming up and the 2-3lb difference in weight when trying to only go carry-on does make a difference.

I am not sure if this update moves up to the new processor platform which will need new (different) RAM which may be pricier. I forget when the new Intel chip changeover was starting.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Isn t this update about creating some "buzz" for the Christmas season? I thought I read it was more about the MacBooks dipping down below $1000 ..so an entry level Mac at $799. Not what I need but I am hoping they can create some demand .

O

Oxide Blu

... I thought I read it was more about the MacBooks dipping down below $1000 ..so an entry level Mac at $799.

My understanding, as of a couple days ago, was that Apple was introducing some desk top computer stuff. Apple is being squeezed right now because of a lack of product below the $1000 mark, where most of computer sales are.

Apple stock took a hit when the company sales forecasts for next year were downgraded. The current global economic fiasco means people are not willing to spend extra money for the Apple brand. Apple needs to respond to that, a sub-$1k laptop would be a good thing for Apple.

Apple is also getting hit on iPhone sales. Telecomm is the second largest segment hit, consumer sales of product and services are down, forecasts are not favorable. And the Android based phones are just being introduced. In addition to the economy, that too is pushing down sales forecasts for the iPhone.

Me thinks you will see several changes to Apple's core product lines over the next year, including price drops.

Guy Mancuso

Some stuff on the MacBook Pro

MacNN adds more details and confirmation that the leaked MacBook Pro photos are legitimate. They are also able to add a few additional tidbits which tie together some of the circulating reports.

Most noteworthy is that the new MacBook Pro will support Hybrid SLI from NVIDIA. NVIDIA describes the technology:
Hybrid SLI® technology, based on NVIDIA’s industry-leading SLI technology, delivers multi-GPU (graphics processing unit) benefits when an NVIDIA motherboard GPU is combined with an NVIDIA discrete GPU. Hybrid SLI increases graphics performance with GeForce® Boost and provides intelligent power management with HybridPower.

Such a configuration will also be beneficial when Apple introduces OpenCL with Snow Leopard in 2009. OpenCL will allow applications to offload processing to GPUs.

Other features described for the new MacBook Pros include speeds up to 2.8GHz, improved wireless connectivity, 7200 RPM hard drives, HD displays, 128GB SSD option, user-serviceable hard drive and an extra long battery.

MacNN also confirms that Firewire will be a feature reserved for MacBook Pros and the MacBooks will not contain Firewire. However, they do believe that MacBooks will be announced during the event, despite a curious footnote by Engadget indicating otherwise.

Readers should note that the price list represents products currently in-transit to the Apple Store. As a result, those products should have near immediate availability. The low end MacBook appears to be absent from that list, which may mean it will not ship until later. At this point, we don't know what the price of the entry level MacBook will be.

Separately, we have heard that the new DisplayPort technology will support an adapter for Dual-Link DVI to be able to drive existing Apple's 30" monitors.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Sounds good for the power users but not so good for the stock price. They really need a sub $1000 notebook for Christmas!

Guy Mancuso

Looks like what was a cheap Macbook is truly a 24 inch LED monitor. Just hae to see what they announce here

Guy Mancuso

Holy cow

10:32 PT: $2499 config: 2.53GHz processor, 6MB L2, 4GB of memory, 512MB on the 9600M Gt, 320GB hard drive. Upgrades: 2.8GHz, 4GB mem, SSD, and more. "Shipping today. They should hit stores starting tomorrow."

Guy Mancuso

Now, "we'd like to update the MacBook Air." So first up, graphics. Putting the GeForce 9400M inside the MacBook air. 4x faster graphics. New Air: 120GB hard drive in, and 128GB SSD option on the Air as well. "In addition to that, we're putting in a mini display port, so you can drive all our new displays." $1799, GeForce 9400M, 1.6GHz processor, 2GB of 1066MHz RAM, 120GB drive. Second model, $2499, 1.86GHz, 128GB SSD. Available early November.

10:35 PT: New 24-inch LED Cinema Display. "It's gorgeous. Really, really nice. Thin." Looks like an iMac. One cable for AC, other cable has MacSafe - power your notebook! - USB, and Mini Display Port. "Just plug this into your MacBook Pro and you're all set. No extra cables, power supplies, nothing." 24-inch LED-backlit display, 19200x1200 pixel resolution, built-in iSight camera * mic, built-in stereo speakers, plus the connectors, and a three-port USB 2.0 hub. Available in November.

10:37 PT: "But there is one more thing. And of course, it's the MacBook. The MacBook is an amazing product. It's the best-selling Mac ever. We sell a ton of these MacBooks, and people love them. They are one of the best products in the industry. We're going to reduce the entry price today from $1099 to $999, make 'em a little more affordable. And I think we're going to sell them for a long time. But we've heard from a lot of MacBook customers, and the top three things they'd like are: a metal enclosure. They lust after the MacBook Pro's metal enclosure. Faster graphics -- they want to play games, they're doing a lot of intense graphics applications. And a lot want LED backlit displays, for instant-on. And we figured out a way to bring these to the MacBook line. And so we are introducing a new generation of MacBook, on top of our white plastic MacBook, and here it is. It's an all new MacBook."

jonoslack

Damn
Not only do I want one of those new 15" macbook pros . . . I also want one of the 24"LED displays to go with it.

Save me:eek:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono,
Just tell yourself that you are waiting for an update to the 30 in monitor and the 17 inch macbookpro.
I was really hoping for an update to the 30...damn, not a thing to buy...
-bob

Terry

Well, I was following this release pretty closely because it looks like I'm moving cross country to San Francisco and need some new technology (keeping NY apartment). Planning on using my MBP with a display. Was going to go for the 30" but the 24" looks mighty appealing and is 1/2 the price.

Since I hate doing day to day travel with my MBP the new Air with SSD is also VERY appealing.

Terry

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I really was hoping for more ram in the air, 2GB is awfully tight.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Geez i have thoughts of selling my MacPro and the 24 inch monitor and my current MBP and buying the high end MBP and just use that with my 30 inch. Damn new MBP is faster than my 2.66 macpro and than just buy a bunch of firewire 800 enclosures take the current drives and put them in them and a sata express card for my two enclosures i have today and use one for scratch.

Not a bad freaking idea. The only downside is 4gb of ram instead of 8gb

Terry

The new MBP looks like it can go straight to a 30" display with the new display port. If I were getting a new MBP, I would do of with the 30".

My life is too complicated.... Or better said, I make my life too complicated.