The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple media event Oct 14

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Geez i have thoughts of selling my MacPro and the 24 inch monitor and my current MBP and buying the high end MBP and just use that with my 30 inch. Damn new MBP is faster than my 2.66 macpro and than just buy a bunch of firewire 800 enclosures take the current drives and put them in them and a sata express card for my two enclosures i have today and use one for scratch.

Not a bad freaking idea. The only downside is 4gb of ram instead of 8gb
And about half or less of the aggregate performance.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is what I have on my MacPro

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version: 1.7f10

Okay here is the new specs but if I went for the throat and got the 2.8. The L2 cache is bigger and the 1066 front side bus. All this part is faster but my limit obviously 4gb only. But i can still scratch via Sata on my 10k

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed; or 2.53GHz or 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache
1066MHz frontside bus

2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) or 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the memory fetch width in the Macpro is 256 bits, I think that it is 128 in the mbp iff it really requires two so dimms for operation, so that is two to four times more per memory cycle.
You might want to scratch on your 10k sata, but it would serve you better installed in the box, besides, it would force you use the expansion card slot for disk i/o
The disk data transfer rate is somewhat limited since you don't have quite the flexibility and bandwidth of the bigger box.
The cpus are slight advantage (IMO) to the macpro on thread intensive stuff, otherwise close to a wash.
The following cs3 benchmarks are illustrative.
pfeifferreport.com/PS_CS3_Bench_Mac.pdf
-bob

Guy Mancuso

I maybe sorry in the end. I will just run what i have into the ground. It works and you know what they say. Of course who ever listens. LOL

O

Oxide Blu

Some stuff on the MacBook Pro

The low end MacBook appears to be absent from that list, which may mean it will not ship until later. At this point, we don't know what the price of the entry level MacBook will be.

Just heard last night there is an Apple laptop being priced at $999. Perhaps that is it?!?

I would not be dumping any serious cash into computing hardware I did not absolutely need. That market will be changing in the coming months, i.e. prices coming down as manfr's compete for a shrinking market share.

Terry

I maybe sorry in the end. I will just run what i have into the ground. It works and you know what they say. Of course who ever listens. LOL
Guy,
I am pretty sure the next upgrade is to a whole new generation of chips. If you are running fine right now, I would wait it out.

Guy Mancuso

Waiting it out for sure. Was trying to figure a way to get my daughter a new MacBook. Hers has died 4 times now. I am flat out tired of fixing the damn thing. I have replaced two hard drives and Apple replaced the mother board at one time. Now it just sets there and spins.

jonoslack

Oh Dear
I went in to the apple store in Cambridge today, and Oliver said they only had one left . . .

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0073.B00
SMC Version: 1.33f6
Serial Number: W88412UC1GA
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

it is very nice though!

jonoslack

Sounds like you added something to your arsenal. LOL
Well, it's faster than my old 17" 2.16 gb macbook pro . . . but not THAT much quicker.

On the other hand, it's built like an airbook . . . a thing of beauty and wonder, and the LED screen is . . . great!

Terry

OK Jono,
How cool is the new track pad? I'm seriously considering an Air because I have a lot of travel coming up!

jonoslack

OK Jono,
How cool is the new track pad? I'm seriously considering an Air because I have a lot of travel coming up!
Hi Terry
Does the air have the new trackpad?
Certainly my air is a lovely thing . . . the new pro has a gorgeous screen, and the funny glass trackpad without a button.

I'm not sure what you want to do with it . . . if it's light photography, medium spreadsheets, mail and internet . then the air is lovely. If you want more than that, then the new pro does seem very nice. I was going to get the cheaper one . . . but they'd sold out, so I have the more expensive one.

Terry

I have a MacBook Pro vintage spring 2008 that is just fine for photography (2.4ghz, 4gb RAM). However, I have a lot of upcoming travel and really don't love going with the 5.5lb pro when I am really trying to just take carry on bags. So, the air was going to be my go anywhere machine and the Pro was going to be hooked up to a cinema display for home heavy photo use. The air does come with your new glass trackpad and they've upped the specs on speed and hard drive space to either 120gb or 128gb SSD.

jonoslack

I have a MacBook Pro vintage spring 2008 that is just fine for photography (2.4ghz, 4gb RAM). However, I have a lot of upcoming travel and really don't love going with the 5.5lb pro when I am really trying to just take carry on bags. So, the air was going to be my go anywhere machine and the Pro was going to be hooked up to a cinema display for home heavy photo use. The air does come with your new glass trackpad and they've upped the specs on speed and hard drive space to either 120gb or 128gb SSD.
Hi Terry
Well, my old air is lovely, so if it has the new glass trackpad and a bigger drive . . . . what on earth are you waiting for!
:)

Terry

Hi Jono,

I am getting the SSD version. In addition, I will also be getting the new monitor (although the 30" is still lovely!). I have to build a set-up in San Francisco so there will probably be a few more goodies to consider.

LJL

From the aesthetics, the new notebooks, MB, MBP and Air are all very attractive. No doubt there. The real "non-starter" for me on both the MB and Air are the lack of FW support, lack of EC/34 for secondary FW support and the glossy screens on all of them. I know some folks do not find the glossy screens too bad, but I think dropping the option on the MBP was a terrible mistake, and putting a glossy screen on the new 24" monitor an even bigger mistake.

So, I while I am pretty Mac myself, I will have to sit out this round, and make my present MBP work longer and harder. If I have to replace, I would have to go MBP, as the FW connectivity is essential, in my mind. For the monitors, I do think that Apple took the low road on the new 24" LED version. I do think that others, like HP, NEC, EIZO and others will have better monitors. Yes, they will cost a lot more, but I do think the color fidelity and accuracy and stuff will be way better. Most of those lines also have the less expensive panels like Apple appears to be using in their new model, and they do not compare well to the higher end models. Some folks may not find that to be terribly important, so the new monitor may be nice, but I think this is going to drive me to look elsewhere for monitor.....without the glossy screen also!

LJ

jonoslack

From the aesthetics, the new notebooks, MB, MBP and Air are all very attractive. No doubt there. The real "non-starter" for me on both the MB and Air are the lack of FW support, lack of EC/34 for secondary FW support and the glossy screens on all of them. I know some folks do not find the glossy screens too bad, but I think dropping the option on the MBP was a terrible mistake, and putting a glossy screen on the new 24" monitor an even bigger mistake.

So, I while I am pretty Mac myself, I will have to sit out this round, and make my present MBP work longer and harder. If I have to replace, I would have to go MBP, as the FW connectivity is essential, in my mind. For the monitors, I do think that Apple took the low road on the new 24" LED version. I do think that others, like HP, NEC, EIZO and others will have better monitors. Yes, they will cost a lot more, but I do think the color fidelity and accuracy and stuff will be way better. Most of those lines also have the less expensive panels like Apple appears to be using in their new model, and they do not compare well to the higher end models. Some folks may not find that to be terribly important, so the new monitor may be nice, but I think this is going to drive me to look elsewhere for monitor.....without the glossy screen also!

LJ
I felt the same way about the glossy screens. . . . then I needed a desktop for development work, and bought an imac, figuring that I wouldn't mind the screen for that. I realised that I rather liked it, and the screen on the new MPB is just fine.

I quite agree with you about the firewire - big mistage . . .I'm afraid we better get used to it though, I think it's a sign of the times.