Site Sponsors

Thread: Apple media event Oct 14

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple media event Oct 14

Thought this would be of interest.
    Apple will be holding a special media event on Tuesday, October 14th at 10AM Pacific in Cupertino, California.

Looks like MacBook Pros and Macbooks will be updated. I don't want to speculate but this maybe interesting to see what comes out of this event.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Apple media event Oct 14

It will be interesting. Jack posted about SSDs dropping in price and I'm hoping they actually do some work on the MacBook Air. I have a lot of travel coming up and the 2-3lb difference in weight when trying to only go carry-on does make a difference.

I am not sure if this update moves up to the new processor platform which will need new (different) RAM which may be pricier. I forget when the new Intel chip changeover was starting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think they are moving to Nividia in this update
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The core processor is still intel. It is all the other supporting chips that aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn t this update about creating some "buzz" for the Christmas season? I thought I read it was more about the MacBooks dipping down below $1000 ..so an entry level Mac at $799. Not what I need but I am hoping they can create some demand .

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    ... I thought I read it was more about the MacBooks dipping down below $1000 ..so an entry level Mac at $799.

My understanding, as of a couple days ago, was that Apple was introducing some desk top computer stuff. Apple is being squeezed right now because of a lack of product below the $1000 mark, where most of computer sales are.

Apple stock took a hit when the company sales forecasts for next year were downgraded. The current global economic fiasco means people are not willing to spend extra money for the Apple brand. Apple needs to respond to that, a sub-$1k laptop would be a good thing for Apple.

Apple is also getting hit on iPhone sales. Telecomm is the second largest segment hit, consumer sales of product and services are down, forecasts are not favorable. And the Android based phones are just being introduced. In addition to the economy, that too is pushing down sales forecasts for the iPhone.

Me thinks you will see several changes to Apple's core product lines over the next year, including price drops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some stuff on the MacBook Pro

MacNN adds more details and confirmation that the leaked MacBook Pro photos are legitimate. They are also able to add a few additional tidbits which tie together some of the circulating reports.

Most noteworthy is that the new MacBook Pro will support Hybrid SLI from NVIDIA. NVIDIA describes the technology:
    Hybrid SLI® technology, based on NVIDIA’s industry-leading SLI technology, delivers multi-GPU (graphics processing unit) benefits when an NVIDIA motherboard GPU is combined with an NVIDIA discrete GPU. Hybrid SLI increases graphics performance with GeForce® Boost and provides intelligent power management with HybridPower.

Such a configuration will also be beneficial when Apple introduces OpenCL with Snow Leopard in 2009. OpenCL will allow applications to offload processing to GPUs.

Other features described for the new MacBook Pros include speeds up to 2.8GHz, improved wireless connectivity, 7200 RPM hard drives, HD displays, 128GB SSD option, user-serviceable hard drive and an extra long battery.

MacNN also confirms that Firewire will be a feature reserved for MacBook Pros and the MacBooks will not contain Firewire. However, they do believe that MacBooks will be announced during the event, despite a curious footnote by Engadget indicating otherwise.

Readers should note that the price list represents products currently in-transit to the Apple Store. As a result, those products should have near immediate availability. The low end MacBook appears to be absent from that list, which may mean it will not ship until later. At this point, we don't know what the price of the entry level MacBook will be.

Separately, we have heard that the new DisplayPort technology will support an adapter for Dual-Link DVI to be able to drive existing Apple's 30" monitors.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good for the power users but not so good for the stock price. They really need a sub $1000 notebook for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger Macbook starting at 800 it looks like, 10 am Pacific time is the announcements

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Might want to bookmark this and follow the event which starts at 10 am which is 35 minutes out

http://www.macworld.com/article/1360...p_1?lsrc=top_1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like what was a cheap Macbook is truly a 24 inch LED monitor. Just hae to see what they announce here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple store is down for updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holy cow

10:32 PT: $2499 config: 2.53GHz processor, 6MB L2, 4GB of memory, 512MB on the 9600M Gt, 320GB hard drive. Upgrades: 2.8GHz, 4GB mem, SSD, and more. "Shipping today. They should hit stores starting tomorrow."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now, "we'd like to update the MacBook Air." So first up, graphics. Putting the GeForce 9400M inside the MacBook air. 4x faster graphics. New Air: 120GB hard drive in, and 128GB SSD option on the Air as well. "In addition to that, we're putting in a mini display port, so you can drive all our new displays." $1799, GeForce 9400M, 1.6GHz processor, 2GB of 1066MHz RAM, 120GB drive. Second model, $2499, 1.86GHz, 128GB SSD. Available early November.

10:35 PT: New 24-inch LED Cinema Display. "It's gorgeous. Really, really nice. Thin." Looks like an iMac. One cable for AC, other cable has MacSafe - power your notebook! - USB, and Mini Display Port. "Just plug this into your MacBook Pro and you're all set. No extra cables, power supplies, nothing." 24-inch LED-backlit display, 19200x1200 pixel resolution, built-in iSight camera * mic, built-in stereo speakers, plus the connectors, and a three-port USB 2.0 hub. Available in November.

10:37 PT: "But there is one more thing. And of course, it's the MacBook. The MacBook is an amazing product. It's the best-selling Mac ever. We sell a ton of these MacBooks, and people love them. They are one of the best products in the industry. We're going to reduce the entry price today from $1099 to $999, make 'em a little more affordable. And I think we're going to sell them for a long time. But we've heard from a lot of MacBook customers, and the top three things they'd like are: a metal enclosure. They lust after the MacBook Pro's metal enclosure. Faster graphics -- they want to play games, they're doing a lot of intense graphics applications. And a lot want LED backlit displays, for instant-on. And we figured out a way to bring these to the MacBook line. And so we are introducing a new generation of MacBook, on top of our white plastic MacBook, and here it is. It's an all new MacBook."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn
    Not only do I want one of those new 15" macbook pros . . . I also want one of the 24"LED displays to go with it.

Save me

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    Just tell yourself that you are waiting for an update to the 30 in monitor and the 17 inch macbookpro.
    I was really hoping for an update to the 30...damn, not a thing to buy...
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was following this release pretty closely because it looks like I'm moving cross country to San Francisco and need some new technology (keeping NY apartment). Planning on using my MBP with a display. Was going to go for the 30" but the 24" looks mighty appealing and is 1/2 the price.

Since I hate doing day to day travel with my MBP the new Air with SSD is also VERY appealing.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really was hoping for more ram in the air, 2GB is awfully tight.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez i have thoughts of selling my MacPro and the 24 inch monitor and my current MBP and buying the high end MBP and just use that with my 30 inch. Damn new MBP is faster than my 2.66 macpro and than just buy a bunch of firewire 800 enclosures take the current drives and put them in them and a sata express card for my two enclosures i have today and use one for scratch.

Not a bad freaking idea. The only downside is 4gb of ram instead of 8gb

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new MBP looks like it can go straight to a 30" display with the new display port. If I were getting a new MBP, I would do of with the 30".

My life is too complicated.... Or better said, I make my life too complicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Geez i have thoughts of selling my MacPro and the 24 inch monitor and my current MBP and buying the high end MBP and just use that with my 30 inch. Damn new MBP is faster than my 2.66 macpro and than just buy a bunch of firewire 800 enclosures take the current drives and put them in them and a sata express card for my two enclosures i have today and use one for scratch.

Not a bad freaking idea. The only downside is 4gb of ram instead of 8gb
    And about half or less of the aggregate performance.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is what I have on my MacPro

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
    SMC Version: 1.7f10

Okay here is the new specs but if I went for the throat and got the 2.8. The L2 cache is bigger and the 1066 front side bus. All this part is faster but my limit obviously 4gb only. But i can still scratch via Sata on my 10k

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed; or 2.53GHz or 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache
    1066MHz frontside bus

2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) or 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the memory fetch width in the Macpro is 256 bits, I think that it is 128 in the mbp iff it really requires two so dimms for operation, so that is two to four times more per memory cycle.
    You might want to scratch on your 10k sata, but it would serve you better installed in the box, besides, it would force you use the expansion card slot for disk i/o
    The disk data transfer rate is somewhat limited since you don't have quite the flexibility and bandwidth of the bigger box.
    The cpus are slight advantage (IMO) to the macpro on thread intensive stuff, otherwise close to a wash.
    The following cs3 benchmarks are illustrative.
    pfeifferreport.com/PS_CS3_Bench_Mac.pdf
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I maybe sorry in the end. I will just run what i have into the ground. It works and you know what they say. Of course who ever listens. LOL

Oxide Blu

Some stuff on the MacBook Pro

The low end MacBook appears to be absent from that list, which may mean it will not ship until later. At this point, we don't know what the price of the entry level MacBook will be.

Just heard last night there is an Apple laptop being priced at $999. Perhaps that is it?!?

I would not be dumping any serious cash into computing hardware I did not absolutely need. That market will be changing in the coming months, i.e. prices coming down as manfr's compete for a shrinking market share.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I maybe sorry in the end. I will just run what i have into the ground. It works and you know what they say. Of course who ever listens. LOL
    Guy,
    I am pretty sure the next upgrade is to a whole new generation of chips. If you are running fine right now, I would wait it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Waiting it out for sure. Was trying to figure a way to get my daughter a new MacBook. Hers has died 4 times now. I am flat out tired of fixing the damn thing. I have replaced two hard drives and Apple replaced the mother board at one time. Now it just sets there and spins.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Dear
    I went in to the apple store in Cambridge today, and Oliver said they only had one left . . .

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0073.B00
    SMC Version: 1.33f6
    Serial Number: W88412UC1GA
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

it is very nice though!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like you added something to your arsenal. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like you added something to your arsenal. LOL
    Well, it's faster than my old 17" 2.16 gb macbook pro . . . but not THAT much quicker.

On the other hand, it's built like an airbook . . . a thing of beauty and wonder, and the LED screen is . . . great!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK Jono,
    How cool is the new track pad? I'm seriously considering an Air because I have a lot of travel coming up!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    OK Jono,
    How cool is the new track pad? I'm seriously considering an Air because I have a lot of travel coming up!
    Hi Terry
    Does the air have the new trackpad?
    Certainly my air is a lovely thing . . . the new pro has a gorgeous screen, and the funny glass trackpad without a button.

I'm not sure what you want to do with it . . . if it's light photography, medium spreadsheets, mail and internet . then the air is lovely. If you want more than that, then the new pro does seem very nice. I was going to get the cheaper one . . . but they'd sold out, so I have the more expensive one.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a MacBook Pro vintage spring 2008 that is just fine for photography (2.4ghz, 4gb RAM). However, I have a lot of upcoming travel and really don't love going with the 5.5lb pro when I am really trying to just take carry on bags. So, the air was going to be my go anywhere machine and the Pro was going to be hooked up to a cinema display for home heavy photo use. The air does come with your new glass trackpad and they've upped the specs on speed and hard drive space to either 120gb or 128gb SSD.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a MacBook Pro vintage spring 2008 that is just fine for photography (2.4ghz, 4gb RAM). However, I have a lot of upcoming travel and really don't love going with the 5.5lb pro when I am really trying to just take carry on bags. So, the air was going to be my go anywhere machine and the Pro was going to be hooked up to a cinema display for home heavy photo use. The air does come with your new glass trackpad and they've upped the specs on speed and hard drive space to either 120gb or 128gb SSD.
    Hi Terry
    Well, my old air is lovely, so if it has the new glass trackpad and a bigger drive . . . . what on earth are you waiting for!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Terry
    . . . . what on earth are you waiting for!
    uuuuummmmmm....it isn't going to be in stores until November

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

uuuuummmmmm....it isn't going to be in stores until November
    Oh! a wait . .. I want the new screen, and I guess I'll have to wait for that.
    will you buy the SSD or the hard drive version?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

I am getting the SSD version. In addition, I will also be getting the new monitor (although the 30" is still lovely!). I have to build a set-up in San Francisco so there will probably be a few more goodies to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

From the aesthetics, the new notebooks, MB, MBP and Air are all very attractive. No doubt there. The real "non-starter" for me on both the MB and Air are the lack of FW support, lack of EC/34 for secondary FW support and the glossy screens on all of them. I know some folks do not find the glossy screens too bad, but I think dropping the option on the MBP was a terrible mistake, and putting a glossy screen on the new 24" monitor an even bigger mistake.

So, I while I am pretty Mac myself, I will have to sit out this round, and make my present MBP work longer and harder. If I have to replace, I would have to go MBP, as the FW connectivity is essential, in my mind. For the monitors, I do think that Apple took the low road on the new 24" LED version. I do think that others, like HP, NEC, EIZO and others will have better monitors. Yes, they will cost a lot more, but I do think the color fidelity and accuracy and stuff will be way better. Most of those lines also have the less expensive panels like Apple appears to be using in their new model, and they do not compare well to the higher end models. Some folks may not find that to be terribly important, so the new monitor may be nice, but I think this is going to drive me to look elsewhere for monitor.....without the glossy screen also!

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    From the aesthetics, the new notebooks, MB, MBP and Air are all very attractive. No doubt there. The real "non-starter" for me on both the MB and Air are the lack of FW support, lack of EC/34 for secondary FW support and the glossy screens on all of them. I know some folks do not find the glossy screens too bad, but I think dropping the option on the MBP was a terrible mistake, and putting a glossy screen on the new 24" monitor an even bigger mistake.

So, I while I am pretty Mac myself, I will have to sit out this round, and make my present MBP work longer and harder. If I have to replace, I would have to go MBP, as the FW connectivity is essential, in my mind. For the monitors, I do think that Apple took the low road on the new 24" LED version. I do think that others, like HP, NEC, EIZO and others will have better monitors. Yes, they will cost a lot more, but I do think the color fidelity and accuracy and stuff will be way better. Most of those lines also have the less expensive panels like Apple appears to be using in their new model, and they do not compare well to the higher end models. Some folks may not find that to be terribly important, so the new monitor may be nice, but I think this is going to drive me to look elsewhere for monitor.....without the glossy screen also!

LJ
    I felt the same way about the glossy screens. . . . then I needed a desktop for development work, and bought an imac, figuring that I wouldn't mind the screen for that. I realised that I rather liked it, and the screen on the new MPB is just fine.

I quite agree with you about the firewire - big mistage . . .I'm afraid we better get used to it though, I think it's a sign of the times.

Just this guy you know