Site Sponsors

Thread: Help for slow DNS - Leopard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Help for slow DNS - Leopard

I use Verizon FIOS and it has particularly slow dns name resolution.
    The time it takes for MANY of the web pages I visit to load is dominated by name lookups.

To solve the problem I installed bind on my local machine.
    A really nifty version of bind can be found at http://cutedgesystems.com/software/D...lerForLeopard/
    After installing DNSEnabler and running it as a caching name server, web page loads are MUCH snappier!
    Note: Do not configure it to use your old crappy Verizon dns servers as a forwarder, just let it work from root hints.
    This is probably the best $15 I have ever spent.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Help for slow DNS - Leopard

I use OpenDNS as my name server. Free and way fast. Also does anti-phishing, name completion and content control if you need it.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish I knew wot you guyz were tawkin about- sounds way cOol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For Mac guys, you can also try using Camino for a really fast browser. On my systems it runs at least 2x faster than Safari or Firefox and is free... Not color managed though: http://caminobrowser.org/
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have Camino as well and it's way fast. But too many apps interface better with Safari and Firefox has the plugin support. Anyway, the problem Bob was having wouldn't have been fixed by changing the browser - it was a deeper network issue with Verizon. His solution, set up your own DNS, or mine, using OpenDNS, would fix the name resolution problems right away.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I use Verizon FIOS and it has particularly slow dns name resolution.
    The time it takes for MANY of the web pages I visit to load is dominated by name lookups.

To solve the problem I installed bind on my local machine.
    A really nifty version of bind can be found at http://cutedgesystems.com/software/D...lerForLeopard/
    After installing DNSEnabler and running it as a caching name server, web page loads are MUCH snappier!
    Note: Do not configure it to use your old crappy Verizon dns servers as a forwarder, just let it work from root hints.
    This is probably the best $15 I have ever spent.
    -bob
    Thats interesting that you have FIOS in MA.
    What level did you get and is it true FIOS. I mean do you have the big box installed on the side of your house or in your basement?
    The box (NID) that the fiber enters and separates signal for your TV, Internet and phone??