Site Sponsors

Thread: Removing Glass from B+W filter...

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Removing Glass from B+W filter...

Well, I have found my 55mm IR-cut filter will touch the front element of my Canon 50/1.2. I'm going to get a B+H haze filter to make a stand off ring with.

Now the question, what's the best way to get the Glass out without damaging the filter ring and it's threads?

Never mind... Just found Kirk makes a 55mm to 55mm male to female adapter ring...

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Removing Glass from B+W filter...

Bump this back up. Kirk no long has what I need.

How should one remove the glass from a B+W haze filter?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IIRC, B+W filters have a snap ring that needs to be popped out and you have to look closely to find the gap on the ring. I use a small machine pick to pry out one end then work my way around until it is out completely, then the glass drops out. Unfortunately the B+W also have a fairly large -- relative to other filters -- inner lip to retain said glass and this narrows the throat some for use as an extender.

OTOH, a cheap Tiffen filter has a screw retainer that is easy to remove and would leave you with a less expensive alternative.

FWIW, I go through my local dealer's el-cheapo used filter bins every now and then and pick up old UV filters in my most used sizes for around $2 each -- just a thought
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, for a local dealer... Nearest is 120 miles away... If WalMart doesn't have it, it's the web for me....

I'll give the Tiffen a go.

Anything special needed to unscrew the Tiffen.
    Last edited by johnastovall; 21st October 2008 at 15:32.

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

I have a set of lens ring tools (here's an example of one: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/ite...x?ItemCode=LR6) that I bought a year ago and don't need. If these would be of use to you, send me a mailing address and I'll send them to you.

Steve

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's dead easy, I did this with a couple of cheap filters. What you do is put the filter in a clamp then take a small hammer and smash the glass. All the bits fall out, wipe out the ring to make sure there are no glass particles and bob's your uncle...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    It's dead easy, ~~ What you do is put the filter in a clamp then take a small hammer and smash the glass.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to everyone's help and suggestions I now have my cut filter on the Canon 50/1.2. The cheap Tiffen came apart quickly with the tools Stephen send me and now life is good. I need to go out and do some shooting...

Mike Johnston